Transitioning? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Does anyone have any tips on how to make the transition from omni to vegetarian easier?
I'm not so much worried about myself (I've been veggie before), I would just plunge in all at once, except that I know this change will be difficult for my husband.
I'd like to be vegan, but I know that for now at least the husband will be veggie first, so I can't really make mine an entirely vegan household.

I do know a lot of fake meat brands, and I've done lots of cooking with tofu (which he likes). Really I'm looking for suggestions from people who had difficulty giving up meat, what made it easier.

Honestly, every time I look at a piece of chicken, it makes me think of the lastest video/docu I watched about battery cages. He looks at chicken and "forgets" that he had decided not to eat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

You could do it step by step, either cutting out meat on certain days of the week, or starting by cutting out certain types of meat (red meat, then chicken, then fish...etc) over a certain amount of time. What worked for me, even though I went cold turkey as they say , was just to continue making all of my favourite meals, just without adding the meat to it. Lasagne is awesome without ground beef, and I prefer it without the soy crumbles. Same with chill. Tacos I now use soy crumbles but they're really good with beans instead of beef/chicken.

I also find it much easier with easy food that takes NO prep, available and ready. If you get hungry, and then have to cook an entire meal, you may slip up. Have lots of cans of vegetarian soups, and I always stock up on frozen vegan curry pies from the farmers market, just pop in the microwave and you have a filling veggie meal.

I hope this helps
#3 Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I did a step by step approach when I went vegetarian. First I decided to eat only poultry and seafood and made an effort to incorporate more veggie meals into my diet. Then once I had done that a while, I cut back to eating meat only 3 meals/week. Then I dropped meat all together. This worked well for me as I had always been a picky eater and didn't really know what veggie foods I'd like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the tips! I guess I don't have to worry as much as I thought. He is way more on board than I realized. He emptied out our fridge and pantry of animal flesh and products and sent it to my dad's house (my dad is not that well off, so if he'll eat food that we won't, I'm not going to throw the food out, whatever my beliefs about eating it are now). Like I've said, we're just getting started, and I hadn't had a chance to talk to him all that much about this since he's been traveling so much for work.

I feel so much better knowing we really are on the same page! hah.
#5 Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliorna View Post

Thanks for the tips! I guess I don't have to worry as much as I thought. He is way more on board than I realized. He emptied out our fridge and pantry of animal flesh and products and sent it to my dad's house (my dad is not that well off, so if he'll eat food that we won't, I'm not going to throw the food out, whatever my beliefs about eating it are now). Like I've said, we're just getting started, and I hadn't had a chance to talk to him all that much about this since he's been traveling so much for work.

I feel so much better knowing we really are on the same page! hah.

Yay!! Thats great news!!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#6 Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

My transition from omnivore to vegan has taken decades, and still isn't quite over. I have found that if I have a variety of food which is enjoyable and healthy, I don't fret about all the things I used to enjoy but don't eat anymore.

I'm glad your folks will benefit from the non-vegan food. Hopefully someday your dad will get to liking you vegan food, too! That didn't happen with my parents, sisters, or nephews, but at least they don't give me flak about my wierd (to them, I assume) eating habits.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page