Can you gain weight as a vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM

I haven't eaten meat in almost a month now, and so far I've surprisingly maintained my weight, which was a concern for me as I was already underweight before cutting out meat. It seems like I'm eating all the time, really filling stuff that burns off in, like, two hours. So, is it possible to gain weight if I double portions or something? My daily menu is something like this:

Breakfast: one bowl of cream of buckwheat or oatmeal, with nuts and fruit and a few baby carrots and one glass of chocolate soymilk. Sometimes a handful of pumpkin seeds.

Snack: usually two rice crackers with peanut butter or olive oil on top, and some type of fruit.

Lunch: rice pasta with some type of beans and veggies and a side of fruit or raisins sprinkled on top. Sometimes a rice wrap with pretty much the same ingredients.

Dinner: almost always leftovers from lunch, but I usually change the fruit and add a salad.

I have to say, looking at this list printed out, it doesn't seem like a lot I really just want to gain weight without going back to meat. Please give me your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

You could increase portions, if you don't think you're eating enough. Adding a little oil to the appropriate meals could also add a few needed calories and fat. Starchy foods are good too, more rice/pasta/quinoa. I've gained a little weight myself lately, I blame the chips and soy mochas... But I don't recommend doing it that way.
#3 Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't eat until you are full, eat until you nearly puke.

Snack often.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Yes, absolutely. Some of the most nutritious high calorie foods are vegetarian - even vegan. Vegan- Nut butters, nuts, avocados, coconut milk ... and then vegetarian, whole milk, cheese, etc. Your menu looks vegan to me though, are you vegan or vegetarian?

It really is about quantity - if you are underweight, you likely just don't eat enough. Double your portions if you must and make use of the high calorie foods.
#5 Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I agree you can gain weight. But, please don't do it by eating junk. Eat more nuts, healthy oils (olive,walnut,grapeseed,etc.), grains (quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat or other non-white pasta, etc.), fruit (bananas,mango,avacado,dried fruit).

Good luck, Laura
#6 Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, one can boost calorie intake by eating a bit junk food as well.

It's not that dangerous.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#7 Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

That's true. Everything in moderation.
#8 Old 01-17-2012, 05:09 PM
adapt. evolve. become

After 2.5 years of being veggie I gained about 15-20 pounds, so it is possible.
I went from 120 to 116 to 130ish.

All we are is dust in the wind
#9 Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

That's not much food, and not much protein.
Eat beans. Mash them up for sandwich spreads and dip, like you would egg or tuna salad. Use them in casseroles, stews and chili
Whole grains.
Use the formula-veggies, whole grains, proteins, fruit.
I lost weight when I first veg-I wanted to-but after the first year I put it back on. It's a matter of discovering an entirely new way to eat, new foods, and new ways to prepare them.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I had your problem. I still have to watch what I eat so I do not eat too many calories. Just eating brown rice and almonds gives you a ton of calories. I would love to be able to eat 1000 calories per meal, but I usually keep it to around 400-500 calories.
#11 Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Oryzatarian

I'm curious as to just why you believe yourself to be underweight.
Are you symptomatic of being undernourished, like feeling weak and tired when you shouldnt despite getting exercise routinely, that sort of thing?
Or are you 'underweight' just based on a chart that compares height to weight and has a big 'underweight' stripe down the chart?
It makes a difference.

I've been a chart-underweight type my whole life, at the most weak and sickly period of my life I was eating the most fatty, meaty, and sugary foods and I didnt exercise. Doctors always called me underweight and told me to eat more fat and trash. More recently I'm quite literally the healthiest I've ever been since I quit breast feeding over 31 years ago... I consume no sugar at all, a very low fat diet, no meat, no dairy. My weight never even changed. I was never underweight to begin with regardless of what the chart said.
...If you are symptomatic of a problem investigate and experiment to find the real cause, it might indeed be calories, or it may be something else. If your not symptomatic of any problem and are just being frightened by a chart- ignoring the chart may be a viable option.
#12 Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Thanks everyone for the great tips and for sharing your stories. I guess I'm going to have to start snacking more and maybe even eating past the point where I feel full. It wouldn't hurt to try it for a few months, although I shouldn't expect to see results instantly, right? Alis asked whether I was vegan or vegetarian, but to be honest I don't no what to classify my diet as, lol. I stopped eating dairy products Way before cutting out meat. I don't mind eating honey. So, I guess that makes me a vegetarian? Lol. It's a little confusing for me still. Getting back to my weight issues, I am definitely underweight according to the bmi chart. At 5" 7 I should be between 123-133lbs, so I'm more then 10 pounds underweight. Maybe it's not such a reliable source? To answer Auxin, yes, I do feel tired a lot, and I only do a short 30 minute workout routine twice a week. I have a very high metabolism so I try not to burn off what little I have left, lol.

At any rate, my goal is to gain that 10 or so pounds by the summer. Thanks again everyone, and here's to good eats!
#13 Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

If you eat nutrient dense whole foods, no added sugars, low fat-you'll be fine.
Start eating junkier things for the same daily calories- then you need to worry.

I'm curious how old you are, and assuming your female?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page