Looking for Coach in Toronto - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 AM

Hi

I may not be a typical poster but I could use some help. I am about to embark on a strict plant-based diet, set out in Dr Caldwell Esselstyn's "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease". I am 53 years old and have a six year old daughter whom I want to see through to adulthood. My chances of making it are poor with the way I live and I am ready to change. But I really have almost no idea how to start eating a diet free of meat, dairy and oils. I have very little training in either cooking or shopping (beyond microwaving the processed foods that I have to give up). The Esselstyn book is full of recipes that appear straightforward enough but that I really don't think I can buy the ingredients for, and cook, without help. And I think this can only work if I assume responsibility for what goes into my body and not depend on chefs, friends or my wife.

So... here is what I have in mind, though I am open to discussion. I live between Greece and Toronto. When I am in Toronto my coach and I would look at two or three Esselstyn recipes and discuss them. I hope to start fairly simply. Then we would meet at a grocery store-- ideally, close to my St Clair West neighbour but I'll go wherever necessary. We would figure out what ingredients to buy and what shops, health food stores, or supermarkets are likely to have them. Learning to shop is the first thing I need to master.

Then we'd go to my Toronto apartment and prepare the recipe. I would like to see what I need by way of utensils that I don't currently own. My vision involves preparing dishes that are large enough to feed me for three or four meals as I have relatively little time for cooking during my always busy stretches in Toronto. The whole thing would be about two to two and a half hours a session, I expect.

Along with advice on shopping and cooking I'd appreciate some advice on restaurants in Toronto that might serve (or adapt to) my very restrictive food choices.

I am not very particular on who does this with me. I have imagined a nutrition student, an apprentice chef, or a hard core vegan who knows his/her way around food. It can be anyone who will treat my project serioiusly (though not humorlessly) and will patiently fill the yawning gaps in my knowledge and skills.

I don't know how long it will take until I am ready to cut the cord but I have imagined about 40 hours of coaching over the winter and spring and I have thought $25/hr would be a fair remuneration. If that's unreasonable I guess the absence of responses will be my first clue.

Anyone want to join me as I plunge into these very unfamiliar waters? Let me know here and we can go offline by email or phone.

Thanks for reading.

Changer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Beginner

Hey there. Have you looked into the Toronto Vegetarian Association?

http://www.veg.ca/

They also have frequent meet ups locally. You may find additional help there. Good luck!

While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth? ~George Bernard Shaw
#3 Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Dear jenm7! Your shared link is not working properly. I was curious about that.
But, Its just annoying. Can you see the problem?
regards
Oakland County health
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Weird, the link works for me. Google "Toronto Vegetarian Association" & it should come up.

While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth? ~George Bernard Shaw
#5 Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Not sure if anyone else cares but link works for me too.
#6 Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Beginner

Hi. I am going to school for holistic health counseling. I would love to help. Do you use skype?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page