Pescetarian for a few weeks, having trouble giving up fish - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Hey guys! I'm new here, most of my family are meat-eaters so I'm just looking for advice and support from people who are/have been where I am now.

A few weeks ago I did the 'World Veg Week' challenge. When the week was up I decided to continue not eating meat. I realised that I didn't miss meat and that it's unnecessary. I've always felt a little bit guilty when I ate it so I feel a lot better knowing that I'm not eating animals.

Since then, I have eaten fish a few times I didn't have a problem giving up other meat because I never loved it anyway. I've always found chicken boring and my body hates digesting beef, especially mince, I always got horrible indigestion when I had it. It's nothing to do with the nutrients; I know that anything that my body needs that is in meat can also be found in vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. but seafood has always been my favourite food, so I have trouble deciding to give it up.

I want to go vegetarian, because I feel like I'm being a hypocrite. On the Animals Australia website there's a picture of a dog and a cow and it says "Why love one but eat another?" That's what I feel like when I eat fish too ..

I'm sure a lot of you have been here, how did you transition to pure veg? Have any helpful advice?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Watch "Sea the Truth" on Youtube. Here is a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzoC9npbuHA

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey_P View Post

I'm sure a lot of you have been here, how did you transition to pure veg? Have any helpful advice?

Thanks guys!

'Lo Abbey

I was a pescetarian (even though I didnt know there was any such thing at the time) for a number of years.

The transition happened naturaly. Fish just began to taste as 'rank' as any other meat after a while.

Are you UK based btw?

If so you can buy mock fish meats here: http://www.veggie-world.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 AM

In what sort of ways/forms do you eat fish? Maybe we can offer some specific suggestions for dishes that you like.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM

What kind of vegi dishes have you been eating? Maybe you can expand your selection of meat subs.
#6 Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I am sorry its hard to give up seafood, I am probley one of the odd balls that had to give up seafood first because my husband is severely allergic to seafood and even the smell, I am surprised he don't get sick while passing by the sea food place.
#7 Old 10-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Im having a really hard time giving up fish too Abbey! Especially sushi
#8 Old 10-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess it's because fish is the hardest one to replace with something that is similar in taste and smell.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#9 Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

There are some great veg*n substitutes for fish! However they are almost exclusively made by Chinese companies, so unless you have a Chinese supermarket nearby you may struggle to find them. I buy some "prawns" from See Woo that are so similar I don't think even omnis would know the difference. They even have red and white stripes like tiger prawns.

You can use nori, seaweed, to give a dish that fishy taste without the fish. Sushi is something that often comes in a vegetarian form so you can try that to replace your seafood cravings.

I agree with the other people that if you tell us what fish you like and how you prepare it we can offer more specific suggestions.
#10 Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I am sorry its hard to give up seafood, I am probley one of the odd balls that had to give up seafood first because my husband is severely allergic to seafood and even the smell, I am surprised he don't get sick while passing by the sea food place.

My giving up seafood experience was similar to yours (and your husband's). I loved seafood, especially shrimp and lobster But a couple years ago (like your husband) I developed a pretty severe allergy. Hives, throat closed up, very scary. That made giving it up pretty easy for me. Breathing verses seafood, I'll go with breathing. Lol. Going veg was really easy after that as I really never liked any other meat.

Yeah, I know that isn't great advice, hard to develop an allergy on command.

Just keep watching the videos and try hard to visualize those while you're eating or preparing to eat seafood, eventually you won't be able to see what's on your plate but rather the poor animal before it was murdered. That's how I'm working on giving up eggs at the moment. Also, don't beat yourself up. Just keep making steps in the right direction and never fall into a "well I already ate fish yesterday might as well again today" pattern. Just think that every time you pass up seafood you're saving another life.
#11 Old 10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Beginner

I was a pescetarian for about 2 months when I went through my transition. Don't rush yourself, and don't get frustrated. For me, I needed time to learn more vegetarian meal options, while gradually reducing my seafood consumption. Once I was ready to move ahead, I gave up seafood, and have since given up eggs and dairy, and I keep getting more and more comfortable with my new lifestyle...

I'm in a different state of consciousness these days. Instead of trying not to think about where meat comes from, I can't stop thinking about it.

Got gas?
#12 Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM

For me seafood was the easiest to give up. Also there are tonnes of delicious types of vegetarian sushi to keep you satisfied.
#13 Old 10-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Some people make the transition to vegetarianism slowly, and some go cold-turkey. It's fine if you want to do it a little bit at a time! But, with your problem I suggest simply educating yourself about the sea food industry. It can make all the difference.

www.TheAnimalRightsBlog.com
#14 Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 PM

Wow I didn't expect to get so many answers! Thanks everyone!

To answer a few questions I've read from you guys:
My dishes at the moment do vary a lot. I love roasted veggies; potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots etc. Big colourful salads are a favourite, I always add lots of interesting ingredients so I don't get bored. I mean I wouldn't be able to sit and eat just some lettuce and tomatoes.. I like things like pineapple or nuts added for extra flavour.
It's not so much fish in general that I love, it's more just sushi, squid, prawns and scallops.

I'm not really a fan of meat replacers. I have tried a range of fake meats and it's just too realistic for me, I still feel guilty and kind of sick.. Maybe it'll be different with fake seafood.

Thanks for the suggestions of adding seaweed though, I love it, and it will add that 'fishy' kind of flavour to my food. Yum!

And about the seafood industry, I will research it. I'm a little scared of what I might find out :P but I will look it up

Okay, what about eating out? My boyfriend and I have 'take out night' together once a week, so I need to find things I can have on those nights.... He always goes for KFC (yuck), or noodles or sushi. At the moment I usually go for seafood mi goreng or sushi. I tried the vegetarian noodles, I'm not sure what they did to it but it didn't taste very good .. I think this week I'll try vegetarian sushi - sounds delicious! Can anyone suggest some other things I could get those nights?
#15 Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

'Lo Abbey

I was a pescetarian (even though I didnt know there was any such thing at the time) for a number of years.

The transition happened naturaly. Fish just began to taste as 'rank' as any other meat after a while.

Are you UK based btw?

If so you can buy mock fish meats here: http://www.veggie-world.com/

YAY I came on to hae a look if anyone had any idea where to get fake fish, I have searched for such a long time, I do like the new Quorn fish style cakes and tonight I'm trying the new Quorn fishless ocean pie
#16 Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey_P View Post

Wow I didn't expect to get so many answers! Thanks everyone!

To answer a few questions I've read from you guys:
My dishes at the moment do vary a lot. I love roasted veggies; potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots etc. Big colourful salads are a favourite, I always add lots of interesting ingredients so I don't get bored. I mean I wouldn't be able to sit and eat just some lettuce and tomatoes.. I like things like pineapple or nuts added for extra flavour.
It's not so much fish in general that I love, it's more just sushi, squid, prawns and scallops.

I'm not really a fan of meat replacers. I have tried a range of fake meats and it's just too realistic for me, I still feel guilty and kind of sick.. Maybe it'll be different with fake seafood.

Thanks for the suggestions of adding seaweed though, I love it, and it will add that 'fishy' kind of flavour to my food. Yum!

And about the seafood industry, I will research it. I'm a little scared of what I might find out :P but I will look it up

Okay, what about eating out? My boyfriend and I have 'take out night' together once a week, so I need to find things I can have on those nights.... He always goes for KFC (yuck), or noodles or sushi. At the moment I usually go for seafood mi goreng or sushi. I tried the vegetarian noodles, I'm not sure what they did to it but it didn't taste very good .. I think this week I'll try vegetarian sushi - sounds delicious! Can anyone suggest some other things I could get those nights?

Do you like tofu? I usually get some sort of tofu dish at Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or Vietnamese restaurants. I would avoid soup, because it can often be made with non-vegetarian broth. Whenever I'm at a Japanese restaurant, I always get one of those little side salads with ginger dressing. It's not a whole meal, but they are so good!
#17 Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Abbey! I had a 4-year-long pescetarian phase long ago- that was my transition between omni and vegetarian, before the word "pescetarian" even existed, apparently.

So. A lot of non-vegetarians have a misconception that it's hard to get protein as a vegetarian; in truth, it's not normally that hard. BUT- we DO need protein. Except for the fish you've been eating (which is VERY rich in protein, I'll admit), your favorite foods you mention aren't usually good sources of it. The foods you mentioned are good for you, yes!... but you could use perhaps more protein-rich foods. Grains such as wheat, oats, rye, and quinoa (not a "grain" botanically, but rather similar nutritionally) are fairly rich sources, as are all beans/legumes. Rice and corn have more calories for the protein you get, but they do serve as protein sources for many. Nuts and seeds vary a lot- some of them also have a lot of calories in proportion to how much protein they give you.

I second Earthling's suggestion about seaweed- it has a really satisfying, fishy taste. I have a recipe which involves marinating thinly-sliced tofu in a seaweed broth, coating it with a sort of breading, and baking it to make a sort of "fish fry". Unfortunately, the recipe calls for "nutritional yeast", which has a cheddar-cheesy taste, and I mistakenly substituted brewer's yeast, which doesn't taste at all the same... so I can't tell you whether it's good or not from my one attempt. I ate it anyway, but I really don't much care for brewer's yeast.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#18 Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi! I agree with the others about seaweed - when I go to a sushi place I get a couple vegetable rolls with avacado, cucumber, or sweet potato and a seaweed salad. Also miso soup if they use veg broth. Yum! You dont' have to give up sushi.

I'll admit I didn't have a hard time giving up fish at all because I was never a fan of any kind of sea creatures, but I want to comment on your take-out night. Tofu! I get General Tso's tofu all the time and most Chinese/Japanese/Asian fusion places will have tofu on hand and you can sub it for meat in most dishes. Good luck!
#19 Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to love seafood and it was the last animal that I stopped eating. One day I was eating salmon and it just clicked that what I was eating used to be a beautiful animal swimming in the ocean. I also thought about the pain and fear fish must experience when captured and killed. The enjoyment of eating it went away. The quote that comes to mind is 'one meal soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life'. I can't justify or want to eat any animal now.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#20 Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I just stopped eating meat. I didn't intend to, it just happened. That was like four months ago. Looks like it'll stick.

What I have discovered is all these new foods and the krispy deliciousness of veggies. I like tofu as long as it's not gooey. Fried is great. Thai food, Indian food and Mexican food are awesome vegetarian dishes. They all use great spices. I have discovered that I love spices. It was never the meat I loved, it was taste. Take raw meat and cook it and it doesn't taste very good. I've never been a big fish eater so, I can't relate to that. Too much fish taste like they smell. Like the deck of a shrimp boat. So, I'll never struggle with wanting to eat fish.

My wife and I like tofu sausage. I would rather eat that than pork sausage. If it's a struggle for you then it's a struggle. When people ask I always say, go cold turkey. Just stop eating it. Then, spice up your eating. Go exotic and avoid boring. Explore foods, colors, textures, flavors..

I love to eat. If I just let go I could be a true lard ass. Being a vegetarian allows me to not worry about it so much. All I need to do if my belt starts getting tight is switch over to more veggies and less simple carbs.
#21 Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Ira
Banned

Seaweed was a great advice. if you can find up a recipe for a sauce containing seawwed and cook it with tofu, it would be a perfect dish

also don't be hard on yourself. not many can do it over night. when you just go with the thought 'i need to stop eating fish now" it won't help much. you can give yourself time by cutting it down more and more and in this time thinking more about why you are giving it up. will make it much easier
#22 Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM

I have only been vegetarian for a few weeks this time, but I was a vegetarian for a longer amount of time before and like you, I found fish hard to give up. My advice would be to go easy on yourself to start with - becoming vegetarian is a huge lifestyle change and so take your time and work your way up towards no meat at all. This time I am off fish as I hadn't been eating it much lately anyway so it hasn't been a problem. Good luck

Twitter: @peters_muppet

Disney. Travel. Languages. Comedy. Film. Vegetarianism.

Believe...
#23 Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 PM

I honestly found seafood the easiest to give up when I went vegetarian, 'cause I never liked them to begin with. But one of the first reasons why I decided to give up meat is... well, listen up and I'll tell ya

Where I live, markets that sell fish have two options for fish-buyers: frozen or freshly killed. I felt really sorry for all the fish, especially the freshly killed ones... it can't feel good to just swim in a small tank, waiting to be killed.

Ever since I was little, I've always hated going through the meat section of the market. Since we're talking about seafood here, I won't mention chicken, pork, etc. So, I've always found the dead fish' glaring eyes and bloody bodies (yes, that's right; blood leaks from the fish) really creepy. The smell didn't help either. I've never learned how people killed fish, but one day, I did; they yanked the fish out of their tanks and plopped the thrashing fish down on that table thingy, then they hit their heads with a hammer until they die.

Ick.

And then the dead fish with the broken skull ended up in a plastic bag, swimming in his/her own blood. Oh, my dad carried it home and cooked it. I passed.

Try thinking of that the next time you want to eat seafood. Oh, and try watching butchery videos. Those helped me a lot.
#24 Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Watching the Movie Dolphin Tale did it for me, I am not sure what happened at the beginning but, it involves a fishing accident. I despise most fisherman now.
#25 Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Thank you for your honest post! It is common for one type of meat to be more difficult to give up. But just remember that you have made the biggest step already! And you are already making a big impact on the AR front by what you have done so far. It is a lot to take in when you first go vegetarian. Do it at your own pace. If you aren't ready to give up fish just yet that's ok! You will find in your own time and in your own way you will be able to cut it out of your diet completely. Maybe give yourself goals, such as only having fish once every other week, then gradually decreasing it. Seafood is the only meat that I have missed since becoming vegetarian a few months ago, especially sushi!
#26 Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 AM

Hello again everyone!

Thank you all again for your responses, I wish I could reply to everyone individually but I'm on my phone so that would probably take a long time tongue3.gif
You've all been so helpful and supportive, I really appreciate it smiley.gif

I just thought you might want an update:
I have given up fish! Yay!

I kept telling myself and others that soon I would stop eating seafood, and then one day something clicked and I thought 'wait, how is eating this salmon roll any better than eating a steak? It was still a living thing and it was just as beautiful as any other animal.' and I just stopped. At the start a couple of vegetarians told me that eventually I would be just as grossed out by seafood as I already was by other meat, and I didn't think that would ever happen but it has. I just can't bring myself to eat it now. And as for take-out, my new favourite thing is wakame sushi, yum!

Eating out hasn't been difficult, though I have found the soup thing to be a problem like you guys said I would. At one restaurant I ordered tomato soup and didn't think to ask about meat or stock, when it came it was full of bacon pieces.. More recently I wanted the beetroot soup, but this time I questioned the waiter and he told me that there would be bacon in it so I ordered something else. Pity because beetroot soup sounded good before I knew about the bacon and it would have come with sourdough bread sad.gif

The only other issues are people's comments and silly questions which I'm still learning how to respond to without getting irritated with them. I know most of the time it's not their fault because they probably dont know much about it. and then there's the ones who get mad at me and accuse me of thinking im better than them or trying to 'convert' them when they're the ones who asked the question and all I did was politely tell them my reasons. Grr, anyway that issue is probably for another thread tongue3.gif

Other than that it's great and I wouldn't go back! smiley.gif
#27 Old 06-03-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Welcome, Abbey! I had a 4-year-long pescetarian phase long ago- that was my transition between omni and vegetarian, before the word "pescetarian" even existed, apparently.

So. A lot of non-vegetarians have a misconception that it's hard to get protein as a vegetarian; in truth, it's not normally that hard. BUT- we DO need protein. Except for the fish you've been eating (which is VERY rich in protein, I'll admit), your favorite foods you mention aren't usually good sources of it. The foods you mentioned are good for you, yes!... but you could use perhaps more protein-rich foods. Grains such as wheat, oats, rye, and quinoa (not a "grain" botanically, but rather similar nutritionally) are fairly rich sources, as are all beans/legumes. Rice and corn have more calories for the protein you get, but they do serve as protein sources for many. Nuts and seeds vary a lot- some of them also have a lot of calories in proportion to how much protein they give you.

I second Earthling's suggestion about seaweed- it has a really satisfying, fishy taste. I have a recipe which involves marinating thinly-sliced tofu in a seaweed broth, coating it with a sort of breading, and baking it to make a sort of "fish fry". Unfortunately, the recipe calls for "nutritional yeast", which has a cheddar-cheesy taste, and I mistakenly substituted brewer's yeast, which doesn't taste at all the same... so I can't tell you whether it's good or not from my one attempt. I ate it anyway, but I really don't much care for brewer's yeast.

Thanks for your suggestions! Yes the protein thing is something I have to think about, as well as iron. I think my iron will be okay because of the amount of leafy greens I eat. I eat oats every morning which might help with protein but Im seeing the doctor tomorrow so I'll ask her for suggestions.

smiley.gif
#28 Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Good to hear! It's sad so many "vegetarians" eat fish. A cow can feed (I'm guessing) dozens of people, whereas a fish dies to feed one. Anyway, congratulations! smiley.gif

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page