31 days no meat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM

I have no real cravings to have it again either. I've cut out nearly all egg/products and milk. Still been eating a lot of cheese for the last 31 days. Is it too soon for me to try to completely drop all dairy? I don't cook much, so im a little worried about finding all vegan meals to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Congrats.
Im 10 months into it last week.
I have cut back on eggs, I have maybe 1 a week now (not including eggs used to make bread etc...) I have not given up cheese, but I have discovered a vegan cheese that is not too bad.

I think its time to give up whatever you are going to give up when you are ready to give it up... Does that make any sense?
#3 Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Congradulations!
I found it easy to give up meat, and really hard to give up cheese! What worked for me was learning to eliminate ingrediants while still allowing cheese on certain things like pizza, and then I worked on giving it up altogether.
I've found a vegan cheese Daiya to be quite good. I esp. like the cheddar flavor for a typical grilled cheese-I really can't tell the difference. Fancy cheeses you just have to wait to lose your taste for!
Pizza can be very good without cheese. Topping like artichoke hearts, green and black olives, mushrooms, carmelized onions, roasted red pepper....

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

First of all, congrats!

Second, why don't you just find out if you're ready to drop dairy by trying it? I didn't really feel ready for veganism when I said, "Sod this, I'll just give it a try and learn from the experience". I was vegan for 8 months, went back to vegetarian, now I've been vegan since last November. It's all a learning experience.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#5 Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM

I just gave up all dairy (Im a big big big big cheese and yogurt eater)...and meat..EXCEPT I ate one can of sardines 5 days ago..and 2 times I gave in and ate about a cup of ice cream(it was Baskin Robins Peanut Butter Chocolate and Jamaican Almond Mocha Fudge)..

But in my mind if I put that can of sardines and the 2 cups of ice cream on the table..next to what I WOULD have normally eaten in the last 12 days???????Its a RADICAL change for me..It woud be sitting next to at least 12 containers of yogurt..and probaby 4 or 5 lbs of meat..and 3 lbs of cheese..

Anyway Im sure I will relapse again ...but Im still happy I have been able to turn probably 40% of my diet being meat and dairy to under 5%...

Dallas
#6 Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations! I'm on day 78. I can't believe it has gone by so fast. I'm not vegan yet, but I'm making more vegan choices than not. I don't cook any non-vegan meals and I'll really only eat cheese when I'm out. This month I'm on a tight budget so I won't be eating out unless someone else is treating me. I plan to cook two grains and two beans each week, make a couple of dressings, and pre-cut veggies. Then I can make grain/bean/veggie bowls easily. I'll also be making a crockpot soup. You don't have to cook fancy to cook.

Vegetarian with vegan tendencies.
#7 Old 10-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

31 days is a wonderful accomplishment! Keep it up! There is no need to drop dairy all at once. You can drop easy things first, and then gradually move to a dairy-free diet.
#8 Old 10-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku View Post

I have no real cravings to have it again either. I've cut out nearly all egg/products and milk. Still been eating a lot of cheese for the last 31 days. Is it too soon for me to try to completely drop all dairy? I don't cook much, so im a little worried about finding all vegan meals to eat.

I'm new to this too. After reading the China Study I just went cold turkey... no meat, eggs, dairy, processed food, added oil etc. for a couple of months now. I loved cheese but just threw what I had in the fridge out and haven't bought any more. Haven't really missed it at all.
#9 Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Ankle Biter

Congratulations to all the relatively new veggie who've posted here!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Congratulations to all the relatively new veggie who've posted here!

heh, heh... my sis-in-law has been a veggie for 10-15 years. I always thought she was crazy, now I realize that I was.
#11 Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

heh, heh... my sis-in-law has been a veggie for 10-15 years. I always thought she was crazy, now I realize that I was.

Isn't it funny when you compare your beliefs before and after going veg*n? Whenever an omni is getting on my nerves, I try to think back to how I was, how I would have reacted, and it calms me down. I was crazy!

Vegetarian with vegan tendencies.
#12 Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It is funny. I've had a massive paradigm shift towards diet in a relatively short time period.
#13 Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

Congratulations! I'm on day 78. I can't believe it has gone by so fast. I'm not vegan yet, but I'm making more vegan choices than not. I don't cook any non-vegan meals and I'll really only eat cheese when I'm out. This month I'm on a tight budget so I won't be eating out unless someone else is treating me. I plan to cook two grains and two beans each week, make a couple of dressings, and pre-cut veggies. Then I can make grain/bean/veggie bowls easily. I'll also be making a crockpot soup. You don't have to cook fancy to cook.

Congrats!

I know this isnt the recipe board but along the lines of what you are saying I made soup last night thats enough to eat off of for one meal a day for my family of 4 for 3 days..LOL!!...and its basciacally vegetable broth with oninons garlic..green cabbaage,carrotts,collard greens,navy beans,whole wheat bow tie pasta,and tomatos and italian seasoning its AWESOME!...Its a "bowl full of vitamins"..

I even ate it cold today so as not to have to reheat it and kill more nutrients..and its taste GREAT even cold.!!So no..no need to be fancy..I made couscous stuffed roasted tomatos the night before with all kinds of goodies like pine nuts and raisons and spinach...that took me an hour and a half just to make four servings...sure it was delicious and it looked like a picture out of a gormet cook book...but this soup to me is JUST as good and its more more "down to earth as far as it goes a LONG way!!!

Dallas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page