How to drop this typical American type diet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 AM

How can I get rid of my typical American diet? I am tired of being over weight. There is an article in the new york times that says American womens lifespan has gone down. I want to fight this! The problem is I crave this junk! Soda, sweets,fried foods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Then don't give into cravings.

/unhelpful but true

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Try eating plenty of high energy foods, sweet fruits and nuts...eventually youll start to feel better and crave junk less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Cut them out slowly and one at a time. Weaning yourself off is easier than going cold turkey. Plan meals in advance and not shopping when hungry helps too.
#5 Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

No soda, no fast food, make most of your meals bring your lunch to work and make your plate mostly vegetables and whole grains.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#6 Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Dr. Joel Fuhrmans Eat to Live, John Robbins Diet for a New America, anything by Dr. Neal Barnard- The New Four Food Groups, 21 Day weight loss.

When you stick to whole foods, quit the added sugar, eat whole grains in their whole form (not as snack crackers), you'll find your cravings will become just mental, not physical. It's kind of like using nicotine subsitutes for smoking- you'll still crave it mentally, but that will lessen if you don't give in.

I'm in need of getting back to that way of eating. I've done it in the past, but like anything, you have to want it more than sugar and snacks.
When you eat whole plant foods you fill your stomach so you don't want to overeat, and your sugar levels are evened out so you don't really "need" the sugary stuff, and the mental memory of wanting them will lessen.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel like the less I eat junk the more used to not eating it I get. Try to fill up on healthy stuff first, and then if you still want something not-good, then have some in a small portion. Hopefully you'll be full on other things and not really want much junk at that point.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I follow the Mediterranean diet and asian and veg diets not American diets

The only time I have a soda is when we get Sierra Mist when I am sick.

The last time I had a cherry coke was 6 weeks ago when we had to do laundry at a laundromat.

I agree make more foods at home and bring your own lunches you save money in long run and its healthier.
#9 Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Khan View Post

How can I get rid of my typical American diet? I am tired of being over weight. There is an article in the new york times that says American womens lifespan has gone down. I want to fight this! The problem is I crave this junk! Soda, sweets,fried foods!

Check out the Vegan Kickstart:
http://www.21daykickstart.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j8SOpO3vXw&feature=player_embedded
#10 Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Ask yourself if that glass of pop or french fry would be worth never meeting your grandkids.

Just try one day at a time to make smarter, healthier choices.

Change is a choice. Good luck.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#11 Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 PM

I think cutting things out slowly is the way to do it for most people. I weaned myself off of Dt. Mountain Dew..I was addicted to it and made myself give it up. I sometimes have one but it doesn't taste as good anymore. Trying making healthier versions of foods you like...baked french fries, low fat versions of things you like.
#12 Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Food is a very complicated thing. And overweight people are one of the few people that are acceptably made fun of. An overweight woman will be put down but a man packing the same amount of weight will probably be left well alone.

Addicts of all kinds have a "disease" but people who have issues with food are just lazy slobs.

I like sweets and I think sugars and perhaps even processed wheat products have an addictive quality. I try to up the veggies and salads and decrease the white bread. Which I like admittedly. Soda is bad. But addictive too. I think as you cut things out, you will crave them for a time, but that will pass.

If just not giving in to cravings was so easy, than no one would smoke, there would be no drug addicts or alcoholics. I quit smoking over 25 years ago. I'm still not thin. I can never go cold tofurkey on food as I did on cigarettes. It's always working on it for me.
#13 Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, don't ever let anyone tell you that you are less than them because of your weight. You never know what dirty little secrets they hide. They just don't show like people who have issues with weight.
#14 Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

An overweight woman will be put down but a man packing the same amount of weight will probably be left well alone.
Addicts of all kinds have a "disease" but people who have issues with food are just lazy slobs.

Valid points, but I don't agree with them.

Fat men are often made fun of in media and on the internet.

Well, and the fact that I don't consider substance abuse to be a disease.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#15 Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I changed my diet over time. I cut out one thing at a time. Now, I am off sodas (was drinking 3x per day), I eat sweets 1x a week at most, I eat very few processed foods, and stopped eating fast food. I feel better. I have lost 15 lbs over 6 months. I thought I would lose WAY more since my caloric intake is 33% of what it used to be (Cut it by 2/3). But, alas, my body didn't respond the way it *should* have. It is worth it though. After you quit all of that stuff, it is no good any more. I have really developed a taste for healthy food. Just the smell of crappy, greasy food makes me ill. I live knowing that I didn't lose much, but my heart and body are much healthier as a result.
#16 Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I feel like the less I eat junk the more used to not eating it I get.

I find that is true for myself as well! I also still have one sweet snack a day-a Greek yogurt with granola-after dinner. That way, I still get to eat dessert, but my dessert is low in calories, but high in protein and whole grains.

"You know I'm a radical."
#17 Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Don't cut things out. Crowd them out. Try new foods - foods that fit into the way you want to eat. Shake things up. Eventually you'll be eating too much better stuff to mess with the bad.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#18 Old 08-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Ira
Banned

i like suggestions here. i would also suggest to replace some of the foods with healthier alternatives that don't make you too fat. like instead of sweets get some berries. or instead of chips some sunflower seeds/nuts etc.
#19 Old 08-27-2011, 08:06 AM

I used to be addicted to soda, having 3 to 4 cans a day, now I only drink that garbage when I'm out at say the movies or a pizza shop. When I'm out for dinner, I still opt for the FREE (and delicious) water. Now it's not a matter of just being healthy because I actually enjoy the taste.
#20 Old 08-27-2011, 04:16 PM

I would urge you to read as much as you can and then set a date to go "cold turkey." If you feel a vegan or vegetarian regimen is right for you, then set a date and change. I found that once I started following a vegan diet, that I no longer craved soda, sweets, and fast foods nearly as much as I used to.

Also, perfection is the enemy of the good. If you fall off the wagon, just get back on again. Also, let people know that you've changed your diet. It'll make it harder to go back.

Good luck!!
#21 Old 08-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Khan View Post

Maybe it's not the foods you're craving, but the ease with which you can get them; for example, it's far more difficult to carve a piece of cool, juicy, sweet cantalope than it is to pop the top on a can of sugary soda. This is a problem I'm having.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#22 Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Don't cut things out. Crowd them out. Try new foods - foods that fit into the way you want to eat. Shake things up. Eventually you'll be eating too much better stuff to mess with the bad.

Well put.
#23 Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Try eating plenty of high energy foods, sweet fruits and nuts...eventually youll start to feel better and crave junk less.

I still eat a bit of junk food, but I've been trying to eat less crap and it's making me like it less. Twizzlers look like plastic to me now, and Oreos are just way bleh.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page