A Few Grey Areas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM

So I am a sorta new comer to vegetarianism ( I tried it once before and it lasted a few months but I want back to meat eating). I have a couple questions. And first off I wanna say that my main reason for being vegetarian is for how cruel people treat the animals that feed meat eaters. I wouldn't have as much Of a problem if the animals lived a full life in a more natural habitat to them. So here are my questions: Since my family has chickens as egg providers/pets is it okay that I eat eggs from them? Our. chickens have a large property to run around and are 'free range' also we have never butchered any of them (and never will butcher) and have 11 hens and 1 rooster. So I think it's okay to eat their eggs because they live a full life and go whereever they please. My second quetion is can I eat the seafood that my family and I catch? We catch a variety of seafoods such as different shrimp, crabs, and halibut. Since the seafood we fish have lived a full life without being over crowded in small cages, is my reasoning for eating them okay. I also would like to remind you that I am vegetarian for animal cruelty reasons (although I do support the healthier life style and such). Thank you to anyone who can provide insight to my questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, veggieppl!

Eggs are considered acceptable for a vegetarian diet. You can eat them and still call yourself a vegetarian. I personally still eat eggs sometimes, as well as dairy. However, many animal rights activists and vegans are against eating eggs, even from a backyard coop like that, because they believe the eggs are for the chickens and not ours to take.

Fish and other sea creatures are not considered suitable for a vegetarian diet. People who eat only sea life and no other animals are called pescatarians. It is a common misconception that vegetarians eat fish. Whether you want to continue eating fish in some circumstances is up to you, but if you do decide to eat sea creatures, please do not call yourself a vegetarian. Vegetarians eat no animal flesh. My personal thought is that it doesn't matter how full a life an animal lives, it is still cruel to kill them for our own tastes.

I should also warn you in advance that Veggieboards is a forum for people who are vegetarians at least. If you do decide to continue eating sea creatures, please don't discuss it on this forum.
#3 Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Vegetarian means you don't eat meat. Meat is from animals, whether mammal, avarian, insect, or sea animal. Pescatarian is the word for those who meat is limited to seafood. Many vegetarians will still use eggs (ovo), or dairy (lacto).

If you're in it for ethical reasons, I beg you to do research on the seafood you catch. Sea life is sentient life, and to say they've lived a "full life" is quite an assumption. How does that make it okay to suffocate them?
I am glad to hear you're considering being veg, and you will find a lot support for it here, and much insight. Please consider you thoughts about sea-life, as this forum is for those who are, and transitioning into vegetarianism. That would mean considering giving up seafood, even if you currently are eating it.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Thank you for the answers! I guess I will need to gradually transition to full on vegetarian. Im not sure how quickly or easily transition but I'll make the effort. In Alaska the fishing and hunting industry is very important to many people. I have a friend who had done away with processed meats and dairy products. Although she doesn't call herself vegetarian she does share some of the same values. She was the one who motivated me to stop eating processed meats. I am kinda new to this so please excuse me if I have offended anyone. But I'll gladly take any advice to make the transition easier. Thanks again!
#5 Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Veggieppl, you have not offended anyone, don't worry! I apologize if our responses seemed harsh. We understand that you are new to the ideas of vegetarianism and learning. The vast majority of us were meat-eaters at some point and had our time as a "new vegetarian" too.
#6 Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Thanks dormouse! After reading a few threads on VB I realize eating sea creatures is quite a sensitive subject. You don't need to apologize, you put it in a very nice way.

Also reading comments on forums and sites such as YouTube and facebook, it just amazes me how a simple harmless question or statement can lead to such rude discussions. Even when people don't mean to say something that people take the wrong way. I'm not referring to any of the comments above as rude though. I am curious if u have any good vegetarian recipes that include eggs? Since you said you eat them at times and I have a lot of eggs from my chickens.
#7 Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieppl View Post

Thanks dormouse! After reading a few threads on VB I realize eating sea creatures is quite a sensitive subject. You don't need to apologize, you put it in a very nice way.

Also reading comments on forums and sites such as YouTube and facebook, it just amazes me how a simple harmless question or statement can lead to such rude discussions. Even when people don't mean to say something that people take the wrong way. I'm not referring to any of the comments above as rude though. I am curious if u have any good vegetarian recipes that include eggs? Since you said you eat them at times and I have a lot of eggs from my chickens.

You could make cake!

Quiche is also good, but I don't have any recipes. When I said I eat eggs, I was referring to pretty basic stuff, like scrambled eggs.
#8 Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Hmm I see. I do like scrambled eggs but I was thinking more along the lines of egg salads or potato salads (which I do make and have recipes (: ). I suppose I can google some. But if anyone else has any recipes or suggestions
#9 Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Beginner

I personally eat eggs, but I won't eat factory farmed eggs. There are a couple of local farms near me that carry nice eggs, so if I want to eat them I will buy them from one of those farms. Here's one of my egg recipes:

Mixed Vegetable Souffles

*Extra virgin olive oil, misted
*6 large eggs, separated; egg whites beaten until tall and fluffy
*1 cup roughly chopped zucchini
*1 carrot, sliced
*1/2 package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
*1 jarred roasted red pepper, sliced
*2/3 cup frozen peas
*1 cup broccoli florets
*3/4 cup 2% milk
*3 tbsp. goat cheese
*1/4 shaved Parmesan cheese
*1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
*Salt, pepper, and roughly chopped fresh rosemary to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. Prepare all ingredients (chopping vegetables, separating eggs, etc.) and set aside.
3. Mist a large pot with extra virgin olive oil and heat.
4. Add vegetables-excluding spinach-and cook until soft. Drain if necessary. Season with salt, pepper, and rosemary, and turn down heat to low.
5. In a separate pot, heat milk over a low heat. Slowly add in goat cheese and Parmesan and stir until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour cream sauce over vegetables. Turn off heat.
7. Mix egg yolks into cooled vegetable and cream sauce mixture. Make sure the vegetables are cooled enough; if the vegetables and sauce are too hot, then the egg yolks will scramble.
8. Slowly and gently fold in the egg whites. The entire mixture should appear light and fluffy.
9. Pour entire mixture into a large casserole dish. Sprinkle crumbled feta over the top.
10. Bake for 25 minutes, or until top is brown.
11. Serve and enjoy! Makes 4 generous servings.

It's good for dinner or breakfast the next morning if you have leftovers!!

"You know I'm a radical."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page