Vegan fail - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to share a story that I thought was kind of funny...and I hope it doesn't offend anyone. I'm vegan-in-process and I've been trying all sorts of vegan foods, and trying to veganize the things I already love. So yesterday I was in the grocery store with the hopes of finding a good soy cheese. I was frustrated that out of the 3 types they had, all of them had milk products in them! Really stupid, imo. In my frustration I go to the junk food isle, and what do I get? Jalapeno and CHEDDAR chips! I didn't even think about it until I was munching them later and realized what a goof!
Then this morning I was at a Tim Hortons (Canadian coffee shop chain) and I was in need of some breakfast. So I ordered a bagel, oh, no butter please (go me!) aaaaand....an iced cappuccino. That's right, a cream based beverage. I didn't realize this until they handed it to me, and the light bulb went on in my head.

Please tell me I'm not the only one this has ever happened to! (I also hope I'm not the only one who finds it funny...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

A couple of weeks after going vegan, I was making some homemade pizzas for my husband and me (putting cheese only on his, of course), and while I was putting the cheese on his pizza, some fell on the counter. Without even thinking I picked it up and ate it. It wasn't until a few moments later that I even realized what I'd done. Don't worry, old habits die hard.
#3 Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Beginner

Don't worry about it - I remember when I first went vegan, I always used to have these vegan yoghurt thingies in so I always forgot that most yoghurt wasn't vegan. I see a frozen-yoghurt stand and think "perfect! good substitute for ice-cream!" *facedesk*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes it's hard to remember. I was a lacto/ovo vegetarian for over a decade, so I'm kind of an autopilot for a lot of things which makes it more difficult to change. Don't sweat it! You'll get there eventually.

Eggs are hard for me to remember -- I'm not sure why. And there have been a couple of times where I only remembered to order my meal at a restaurant with no cheese (or other dairy or eggs) at the very last moment!
#5 Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

A couple of weeks after going vegan, I was making some homemade pizzas for my husband and me (putting cheese only on his, of course), and while I was putting the cheese on his pizza, some fell on the counter. Without even thinking I picked it up and ate it. It wasn't until a few moments later that I even realized what I'd done. Don't worry, old habits die hard.

I did this when I first went vegetarian, except it was a piece of ham.
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Beginner

When I first knocked meat on the head, I had a clear-out of my cupboards and gave away all my tinned pies, cans of soups, sandwich spreads... everything.

After I gave them all away, I looked at my cupboards and though, "Ah. Dammit."

It was pretty much bare apart from a bag of rice and some cornflakes. And I was starving. I pulled on my coat and told my housemate I was off into town for something to eat.

I had walked the best part of 10 minutes before I realised I was walking to a fried chicken restaurant.

Duh.

Tumblr: http://grubnutter.tumblr.com/
Twitter: 666Cookie666
Facebook: Steffen Cook
#7 Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think there's a veg*n around who hasn't done this, except maybe (but probably not) those who have been veg*n since birth...

My first day of vegetarianism, I bit into a sausage roll that was handed to me without thinking. About two seconds later, I'd spat it out, declaring "AHHH, MEAT!". My friends still do impressions of that to this day.

About a week after going vegan, I went into a subway, and ordered the (non-vegan) veggie patty that I always ordered. Sort of an autopilot scenario. Got halfway through it before I thought about it.

So yeah, don't worry too much! Just keep at it and you'll eventually remember everything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

When I first went vegetarian, back when I was 17 (a whole decade ago!), the woman I was baby-sitting for was going to a restaurant and asked me if I wanted anything. I said a cheeseburger would be good. It only hit me after she was out the door that, oh yeah, I don't eat those anymore. Luckily she must have remembered that and didn't bring me one.

Right now I can't remember making any such mistakes after going vegan, but I probably made some. It happens. No worries...

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#9 Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Ankle Biter

After I went vegan, for a while I couldn't seem to stop myself from licking the knife that I had used to spread cream cheese on my daughter's lunch bagel. I actually still do it, but I switched her to BTCC!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I did the same thing with my lattes when I started out. I wouldn't realized it until I took the first sip, then, "AH CRAP!" It's those things that you do out of habit that get you at first.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#11 Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM

Your story made me miss Ice Caps.

I was addicted to that stuff... I still crave it. Even 6 months into being a vegan... *sigh*

theapplerunner.com
#12 Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

You could try to make a homemade one that's vegan

I remember when I was first becoming vegetarian, I accidentally ate fruit snacks with gelatin in them

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#13 Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalVegan666 View Post

I was at Turtles the other day in Sarasota, and I ordered my usual steak. The waiter didn't really ask, and just assumed I wanted meat sauce. I didn't realize until after I had scarfed down a few slices that the meat sauces has, what else, but meat! Duhhh. So i took the steak to the bathroom and washed off the meat. Then I felt better.

Awww, people who are filled with raging insecurity are so cute.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Beginner

this sounds like the dreams I had a fair few times after becoming vegetarian where I was eating meat and didn't realise until I was half way through a chicken burger lol.

"The reason that people are not vegetarian for the most part is convenience. That is it. They are raised in a society where it's so easy not to be a vegetarian."
- Ian Mackaye
#15 Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM

dnt worry haha! *funny story* i actually, for some reason became lactose intolerant, and had to avoid anything with dairy or i would have some stomach problems if u knw wht i mean lol! now me being a dairy lover n eating tht way all my life, i wuz not use to tht kind of transition, so i would eat things containing dairy and wonder why my stomach wuz acting up then i would read the ingredients and wht do u knw, it had milk in it haha! Oh n a few times (me lovin cheese so much) i grabbed the big bag of shreeded cheese out the fridge n consumed a handful of it lmao! so yea dont worry ur not the only one tht struggles like this haha!
#16 Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK420 View Post

this sounds like the dreams I had a fair few times after becoming vegetarian where I was eating meat and didn't realise until I was half way through a chicken burger lol.

I still have those dreams on occasion, and I've been veg*n for almost four years!
#17 Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Just the other day we were at my Grandparents and my parents were there as well. We were all around making and eating breakfast and I told my boyfriend I would get him toast. I had put the toast down and was getting out some fruit and what not when I saw Derik bitting into his toast. I was like oh how did you get that and then my jaw dropped and I yelled, "That's not ours!!" My mom (without thinking) had buttered his toast and he was just munching away. What I had meant to say is that's not Earth Balance! Haha. My mom was so apologetic. It's the mind slips you just have to shrug off. It would be different if you were "accidentally" eating animal products. I think we all have to keep in mind, veganism isn't about perfection. You're human and you make mistakes and now you know for next time. We've all been there even if we don't know it. I'm sure there have been times that I've eaten something that I thought was vegan and really wasn't.
#18 Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM

My father ordered tortellini for me - i thought it had cheese, it was meat & i ate it accidentally - 20 years ago.....one time I ordered a romaine salad & it came with little bits in it - I thought they were seeds - it was tasso - a type of pork - there are LOADS of meats and meaty things everywhere - my family still teases me if I eat McDonald's fries because of "meat spray" in news few years ago. People are afraid of change -they will also make fun or slam you for differences, my favorite is when a waitress says, "I can't charge you less for the salad without chicken on top" and she is AMAZED when I say i don't care. Each day is a journey - some annoying, but most fun........be easier on yourself........i still forget tripped up - 4 years ago I was eating in my favorite Italian restaurant and I found out that the PASTA PRIMAVERA I had eaten 25 times throughout the years was made with chicken stock!!!!!!!

Stephanie Prather
Vegetable Tour Guide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the World One Vegetable at a Time"
#19 Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Im suprised when people say 'well you used to eat x chocolate bar' Yeah till I found out it has milk powder in it!
#20 Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

This thread has made me laugh, including the OP! When I first went vegetarian, I was eating school dinners and the meal had scotch eggs and I said "Oh great it's vegetarian" and my friend said "no it's not", "what's wrong with eggs?", "nothing, but they're wrapped up in meat!" "that's MEAT??" I was only 11 and all that time I'd never really thought about what it was around the outside of the egg!

Also I went to my parents house, because we only use soya margerine at home I just tucked into a slice of toast that had normal margerine on it, tasted it, and spat it out at the table. Both my brother and boyfriend were horrified! It was just a knee-jerk reaction.

Anyway as you can see, everyones done similar silly things! You live and you learn
#21 Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I am LOVING all of these stories! It's so comforting to know I'm not the only one who's ever messed up. After each post would be a perfectly put Homer Simpson D'OH
#22 Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I had a dream I ate chicken once and I didn't realize it until it was gone

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#23 Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

For some reason, when I first went vegetarian I was really paranoid, and I thought that Lays chips had something wrong with them (cooked in animal fat or some other rumor I heard). My friend offered me one at lunch and I accepted, without thinking through my paranoia, and nommed it down. In the middle of chewing my paranoia hit me, and I made a horrible face, went "OH CRAP!" and ran as fast as I could over to the garbage. I spit it out with a horrible disgusted look on my face and when I came back to my table my friends were a bit more than disturbed.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#24 Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegLady View Post

my family still teases me if I eat McDonald's fries because of "meat spray" in news few years ago.

Just to let you know, for the record, McDonalds fries do in fact have meat in them and are very far from vegetarian.

ETA: Whoops, double post...

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#25 Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Accidentally ate (part of) a cereal bar that turned out to have milk chocolate in it- I scanned the ingredients twice but I must have been too busy looking for honey (it looked like dark chocolate on the box) it must have been an off day my dad was annoyed when he found out cause he assumes everything I buy is vegan so he ate one too (he's vegan).
#26 Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I confess that I fail often. Recently, I was eating a chocolate bar that I thought was vegan only to find out that it contained hazelnuts that were coated with shellac. Ew, I didn't know that was still used in food. Not even vegetarian, I think. Oh well....
#27 Old 06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

I confess that I fail often. Recently, I was eating a chocolate bar that I thought was vegan only to find out that it contained hazelnuts that were coated with shellac. Ew, I didn't know that was still used in food. Not even vegetarian, I think. Oh well....

Why on earth would hazelnuts need to be coated in shellac in the first place?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#28 Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I've had those dreams before too
#29 Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

For some reason, when I first went vegetarian I was really paranoid, and I thought that Lays chips had something wrong with them (cooked in animal fat or some other rumor I heard). My friend offered me one at lunch and I accepted, without thinking through my paranoia, and nommed it down. In the middle of chewing my paranoia hit me, and I made a horrible face, went "OH CRAP!" and ran as fast as I could over to the garbage. I spit it out with a horrible disgusted look on my face and when I came back to my table my friends were a bit more than disturbed.

I know that Baked Lays BBQ have chicken fat, but I think the rest are safe.
#30 Old 06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I know that Baked Lays BBQ have chicken fat, but I think the rest are safe.

I believe that's true of most BBQ flavor chips, though there may be brands that don't have that.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page