Work out protein shakes, a good source to get my daily protein? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Quick backstory.

-Started being a vegetarian 2.5 weeks ago.
-I eat very unhealthy, but I did so even before I became a vegetarian. Now I just don't have to kill animals to do it.
-Every April I get membership at a local gym
-This year I'm considering getting a protein supplement to help my workout/gain muscle.

This year it may be even more important because I don't know if I am getting enough protein. I used to get way more than I needed, but now that I'm vegetarian, I'm unsure. I basically have no idea how much protein I'm supposed to be getting, or that I even actually am getting.

So lets just assume I am not getting anywhere near enough. Will drinking one of those workout protein shakes daily, after a workout, help me get what I need, or am I completely wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

It's pretty hard to not get enough protein if you're getting enough calories and are not a junk food vegetarian.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/protein.html

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/foo...tein-myth.html

One of those protein shakes would probably give you more than enough, which isn't necessarily a good thing.
#3 Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is one example of what I might eat over the course of a day. I will have four bananas, two oranges, four small apples, eight ounces of strawberries, two grapefruits, the juice of one lemon, a head of romaine lettuce, two tomatoes, half a hothouse cucumber, a few slices of onion, a clove or two of garlic, two cups of broccoli, eight ounces of spinach, one cup of green peas, and one tablespoon of a mixture of equal parts of ground flax, sesame, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds, and a brazil nut, and I get fifty two grams of protein from eating like this. That's without eating any beans or grains.

You can figure out what you are getting from plugging what you eat into a site like Fitday.com or Nutridiary.com. It'll set your mind at ease when you see for yourself exactly how much nutrition you are getting from your foods.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Just eat food you don't need a protein supplement. Eat a meal that has a little higher amounts of protein in it you should be fine. You probably don't even need to make sure it has higher amounts of protein in it. I'd suggest making a green smoothie with chia seeds because you're getting greens (you said you eat unhealthy) and chia contains protein, calcium, and omega fatty acids.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I work out a lot and particularly focus on weight lifting. I eat Clif Bars (the Builder Bars = 20 grams of protein) like they're going out of style. Today for instance I lifted for two hours so I ate a Clif Bar before I went and one when I got home, had a Tofurkey Italian Style Sausage and soup for Lunch and I was looking at about 80 grams of protein by lunch time. By the end of the day I'll be topping of at 95-100 grams of protein. I certainly wouldn't worry about taking in this much protein if I weren't feverishly working out all the time. Every now and then I take 5 days to a week off from the gym and during those times I typically take in about half that amount of protein. I thought about protein shakes before, but I have no problem getting enough protein through my diet (and I'm a Vegan) for my body to recover and build muscle so I figured why bother?

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

It's probably unnecessary unless you're intentionally trying to gain a lot of muscle mass. Back when I was doing heavy weightlifting 5 times a week, I did have to start drinking protein shakes to get myself over a plateau.

But if you're just doing a normal level of exercise, I wouldn't worry about it. You only need about 50 grams of protein a day, and that's not hard to get at all. Before you add them in, you might want to figure out how much protein you're getting in a typical day.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
#7 Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan, and on a high protein regimen at the moment, and consume 150-175 grams of protein a day. Protein shakes are critical for me to keep those levels going.

I know a lot of people have issues with high-protein diets, but it's working for me, and my progress is being carefully supervised.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#8 Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

I work out a lot and particularly focus on weight lifting. I eat Clif Bars (the Builder Bars = 20 grams of protein) like they're going out of style. Today for instance I lifted for two hours so I ate a Clif Bar before I went and one when I got home, had a Tofurkey Italian Style Sausage and soup for Lunch and I was looking at about 80 grams of protein by lunch time. By the end of the day I'll be topping of at 95-100 grams of protein. I certainly wouldn't worry about taking in this much protein if I weren't feverishly working out all the time. Every now and then I take 5 days to a week off from the gym and during those times I typically take in about half that amount of protein. I thought about protein shakes before, but I have no problem getting enough protein through my diet (and I'm a Vegan) for my body to recover and build muscle so I figured why bother?

It's great that you're looking out for the vegan type of bars but are you aware that they are not gluten free? I use a vegan/gluten free protein powder & make my own protein bars (no bake ) Since you said you eat them like they are going out of style, maybe going this route would be cheaper for you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page