What's the problem with soy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM

I'm still new to the whole vegetarian thing and I see soy being brought up a LOT. I am just wondering why so many people choose to cut it out, or keep it to a minimum.

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Because people are stupid. Soy is great. There's no evidence that it's bad for you, there's just a lot of false, malicious information out there that tries to scare people away from this wonderful bean.
#3 Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

There are already a gajillion threads on this, but, to reiterate the points, there is some evidence that soy may not be as healthy as it is made out to be.

I am too lazy to get citations, but you can google around easily enough. Soy, in the form of tofu, has been correlated with increased risk of Alzheimer's in one study. In another, the phytoestrogens in soy were given a cautionary status with people who are susceptible to certain estrogen sensitive cancers. Some studies show that it may interfere with thyroid function as well.

Does that mean soy is dangerous? No. Typically the amounts used were quite high, and even then the evidence is not conclusive. Some people just cut it out all together, while others limit their consumption. I think limiting your consumption is a good plan for any food really. You aren't going to die if you have tofu once a year. I regularly eat tofu, although I am not consuming ten bricks of it a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy is also said to be mucus-forming, like milk, so if you're prone to sinus problems/phlegm, it's best to keep it at a minimum
#5 Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM

I have hypothyroidism and soy make me more sick
even before my illness i cant stand soy I don't like its taste
#6 Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

-in homes with infants, blocks of tofu have been reported escaping from fridges and climbing into cribs to kill
-ingesting one teaspoon of soy sauce can be instantly deadly if you belong to any of the following groups:
1. middle-aged businessmen who like playing squash
2. women who enjoyed the pilot episode of Mad About You
3. people over the age of 60 who have visited Graceland
-a detail that historians often leave unmentioned: Stalin gave soy milk to Russian soldiers to make them more susceptible to his propaganda
-if you take the numbers from the letters 's', 'o' and 'y' and multiply them by 3, you get the date when Miyans* predicted the world will end
-in Loser, Beck sings "soy un perdidor". Think about it.

*no relation to Mayans; Miyans were a different group of people. To be precise, the Miyan people consisted of 4 persons who liked to design musical instruments operated by pouring water into them, and this was actually their only achievement as a culture.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

-in homes with infants, blocks of tofu have been reported escaping from fridges and climbing into cribs to kill
-ingesting one teaspoon of soy sauce can be instantly deadly if you belong to any of the following groups:
-a detail that historians often leave unmentioned: Stalin gave soy milk to Russian soldiers to make them more susceptible to his propaganda
-if you take the numbers from the letters 's', 'o' and 'y' and multiply them by 3, you get the date when Miyans* predicted the world will end

*no relation to Mayans; Miyans were a different group of people. To be precise, the Miyan people consisted of 4 persons who liked to design musical instruments operated by pouring water into them, and this was actually their only achievement as a culture.

Everytime I come across your posts I instantly want to sing Queen at the top of my lungs.

But the Mayan thing is true. In fact, I'm pretty sure those that have denounced soy will be spared from destruction, huddled on to the mothership and relocated to Omicron Persei 8.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#8 Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Some people are allergic to soy, so they have to avoid it. Others avoid it cuz they think it's unhealthy for whatever reason. Some just have strange bean phobias.
#9 Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

As mentioned by others, soy is a common allergen, so some people have to avoid it. For people with thyroid problems, soy seems to make the problems worse. And there have been inconclusive studies showing that too much soy is unhealthy, but the same can probably be said for almost any food.

For most people, eating a couple of servings of soy per day should be fine. It's a commonly eaten food all over the world, including in some populations with the highest life spans in the world. The whole "soy is evil" mentality seems to be mostly based on exaggerated and/or biased studies funded by the meat and dairy industries, trying to eliminate their competition.

Personally, I drink soy milk daily, and eat tofu or soy-based "fake meat" products a few times per week, and I'm not worried.

--Fromper
#10 Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Some people have misconstrued scientific studies and believe that soy contains estrogen and will cause men to grow breasts or something stupid like that. There's no proof that the phytoestrogens in soy can cause these things, and even if they can, you'd have to consume a ton of soy before it started to harm you. (I think I read something like 8 glasses of soymilk a day).
#11 Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Remember that old Monty Python skit where a guy walks into a restaurant and finds that every item on the menu contains Spam? So he tries to order something, but says "hold the Spam." And the waitress is incredulous! What can you possibly mean, hold the Spam?

This reminds me of the whole "soy" debate.

Many commercially prepared foods for vegetarians are based on soy, soy, soy, soy, soy, soy and more soy.

Moderation in all things. Overdoing it on soy (or any one food) just is not healthy.

Soy is also one of the grains that is highest in fat content. What is wrong with eating rice, quinoa, corn, or dozens of other grains instead of just soy all the time?

This is in addition to the other problems that other posters have already listed.

There is nothing really wrong with eating soy or soy products occasionally as part of a varied and balanced diet.
#12 Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 PM

my breastfed bub reacts badly when I eat it, only reason I am not eating it, otherwise though I would eat it in moderation, not over the top.
Its pretty hard to cut out totally, as it is a hidden ingredient in so many things

"God has no religion" - Mahatma Gandhi
#13 Old 03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

You, Sir, are WINNING!
#14 Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

I haven't seen anybody mention the MAJOR reason we should watch our soy consumption. GMO soy is NOT healthy for anyone.
#15 Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewski View Post

I haven't seen anybody mention the MAJOR reason we should watch our soy consumption. GMO soy is NOT healthy for anyone.

Prove it.

GMO soy may or may not be healthy. That's the problem with genetically modifying crops. We don't know. It's no longer the same food, so the centuries of observations and wisdom that we have on a particular crop no longer applies. That doesn't mean that all GMO is automatically unhealthy. It just means that we're safest sticking to the original, because it's a known entity.

--Fromper
#16 Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewski View Post

I avoid GM soy, but the brands of soy milk and tofu I buy do not use GM soy. The GM soy is in your non-organic processed foods. Canola and corn are also likely GM unless organic. Beet sugar, too.
#17 Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Prove it.

GMO soy may or may not be healthy. That's the problem with genetically modifying crops. We don't know. It's no longer the same food, so the centuries of observations and wisdom that we have on a particular crop no longer applies. That doesn't mean that all GMO is automatically unhealthy. It just means that we're safest sticking to the original, because it's a known entity.

That's how I feel too. Most of the soy I consume is GMO free, but that's just a coincidence because I like Silk
#18 Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Here's a good bunch of links: http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/pa...771.htm#weston

The ultimate source of most anti-soy ... stuff ... that makes the rounds is the Weston A Price Foundation, a relatively small Iowa non-profit that promotes the 70-odd year old dietary theories of a dentist. These theories, which emphasise the consumption of animal fats, are not accepted by most modern nutritionists or dieticians.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#19 Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Normal healthy people should have no problems eating soy on a daily basis. I have a friend who is very estrogen dominant while eating soy, and has normal hormone levels when she avoids it. It really just depends on the person.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#20 Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Prove it.

--Fromper

The problem with them genetically modifying our food is.....they are not God. Leave the food the way it was intended. We don't need them inventing food. Food shortages are not the problem. Whackos playing God is the problem. There's quite a list of foods that are GMO, really. http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/gm-foods.php
#21 Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

In short, nothing (to reiterate what others have said.)

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Everytime I come across your posts I instantly want to sing Queen at the top of my lungs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that reaction!

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page