Help with allergies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Since I was a child, I have never had the opportunity to venture into vegetarianism (my family eats a lot of meat). Now that I'm in college, I have the opportunity to branch out and my campus is very accommodating to vegetarians.

The issue is my food allergies. I've recently been to a doctor about some scratch tests, and I hoped that I grew out of my childhood allergies. It turns out I've had the most amount of reactions he had seen in his 30 years of practice. My food allergies consist of: seafood (fish, shellfish, etc.), peanuts, legumes (I think it's mostly soy), tree nuts, and some mild reactions to fruit.

I know there are options for getting protein in my diet like quinoa, but I don't have a kitchen and I definitely do not want to be taking pills (just a personal issue). Are there resources to help me out with becoming a vegetarian with as many limitations as I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

It's a good thing vegetarians don't eat sea animals then.

Congrats on making a compassionate decision, hope all goes well for you! Here are a few ideas/questions for you.

Protein: Quinoa, seitan (made from wheat gluten), whole grains: rice, breads, pastas, some cereals (hot or cold) perhaps?

Are there any beans that are safe for you to eat since you believe it's mainly soy you're allergic to? Black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, white beans, etc. Are peas, lentils and chickpeas included in your legume allergy too?

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#3 Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

It's a good thing vegetarians don't eat sea animals then.

Congrats on making a compassionate decision, hope all goes well for you! Here are a few ideas/questions for you.

Protein: Quinoa, seitan (made from wheat gluten), whole grains: rice, breads, pastas, some cereals (hot or cold) perhaps?

Are there any beans that are safe for you to eat since you believe it's mainly soy you're allergic to? Black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, white beans, etc. Are peas, lentils and chickpeas included in your legume allergy too?

what about the quality of those proteins?
If a person has allergic reactions to animals and gluten, why not mention roots. Somehow there are different shapes, somewhere..
And what about musk in parfums .. good idea?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuenka View Post

what about the quality of those proteins?
If a person has allergic reactions to animals and gluten, why not mention roots. Somehow there are different shapes, somewhere..
And what about musk in parfums .. good idea?!

sorry what?

quinoa is a complete and awesome protein.

i wouldn't eat purfume if i was you. or if i was me.

OP: if college is helpful, ask them to broaden the menu options to include quinoa, kasha, stuff you can eat! i think your legume allergies need more investigation to work out exactly whats good and whats not, before you look further.
#5 Old 11-12-2010, 03:38 AM

I remind you to what I said before about tofu.
It's not only the fact that DNA has chaged in a chimical process .. the quality of the water has, by my point of view, the last word ..
The subject in this thread is why eat tofu or find alternatives . . I don't know what kasha is for you .. I can try fo find out, I'm satisfied about quinoa. I don't like the water cereals need to be washed ..
#6 Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's not only the fact that DNA has chaged in a chimical process .. the quality of the water has, by my point of view, the last word ..
The subject in this thread is why eat tofu or find alternatives . . I don't know what kasha is for you .. I can try fo find out, I'm satisfied about quinoa. I don't like the water cereals need to be washed ..

its not 'why eat tofu?'.

its 'what can i eat at school when beans, fruit, and nuts make me very ill?'.

if you have an allergy, water makes no difference. kasha is a cereal thats grows on a plant called buckwheat. it can be cooked like rice, or made into porridge.
#7 Old 11-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You talk funny.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#8 Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting an internet translator vide from zuenka.

Totteke: are you sure certain beans and such are ok? I find myself eating a lot of tofu because I'm in Japan, but if I weren't, I'd eat a lot of chickpeas and lentils (because I like those best). But there are black beans, kidney beans, white beans, lima beans, mung beans, azuki beans.... we're full of beans here! Sorry, bad pun.

Also, do you know if those fruits you're allergic to cause a problem both cooked and raw? Some people's allergies are only to raw fruits, so if yours isn't, you could have them cooked.

Otherwise, I'd suggest lots of grains and vegetables, and talking to your school. They need to provide food that matches your allergies, and while they're not required to make it vegetarian, many schools will.
#9 Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 AM

I don't know what you can eat in your japanese school, me in Dk I avoid to eat in institutional centres; already years ago it was difficult to find a suitable menu for me. Me, I'm still thinking what the guy who started this conversation might find ..
Il cardo, da un punto di vista storico è una pianta molto antica : i primi riferimenti certi sono stati trovati nella civiltÃ* Egizia; ma prima ancora sembra che fosse usato in Etiopia.
I've tried recently outside a cup of tea and I had allergic reaction .?!?. I'm quite positive it was not the chinese-tea, neither the pap-cup but the quality of the water, so .http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artichaut.
#10 Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

thistles and artichokes in french and italian?
#11 Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM

you need to be international if you want to prepare veg-food ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page