nasty tasting veggie "meat"balls (Veggie Patch brand) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 AM

I bought some vegetarian meatballs which looked like they would be tasty. They looked identical to the real thing but they tasted awful!
I can't really explain the taste either.

Does anyone have suggestions for meat substitutes which actually taste good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Beginner

If you recently just switched to being a veggie from an omnivore, most 'mock' meats will taste a bit strange to you. Assuming you're vegetarian, have you tried Morningstar products? Morningstar chicken nuggets, sausage patties, and mini corn dogs are pretty good. I don't like their bacon strips or burgers very much though, and only a few of their products are vegan. Most contain eggs/dairy.
#3 Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Nate's mushroom flavored meatless meat balls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Oh, and I did forget to add a few things. Are you looking for products that taste like the real deal or no? When I went veggie I upped my intake of fruit and vegetables, and didn't go for any processed meats until later. When I purchased a veggie meat, I told myself I wasn't searching for something to substitute the old meat but am looking to try new foods and flavors. I personally feel like the companies who don't try to replicate real meat taste better than the ones who do. Good luck!
#5 Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan on the Cheap has a good recipe for meatless meatballs. It's similar to the chickpea cutlet recipe in veganomicon (which can also be made into meatballs - a version of which I posted here http://megatarian.blogspot.com/search/label/meatballs with lentils instead of chickpeas).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 10-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quorn are the closest I've tasted to the real thing. They're vegetarian, not vegan.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#7 Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishellia View Post

If you recently just switched to being a veggie from an omnivore, most 'mock' meats will taste a bit strange to you. Assuming you're vegetarian, have you tried Morningstar products? Morningstar chicken nuggets, sausage patties, and mini corn dogs are pretty good. I don't like their bacon strips or burgers very much though, and only a few of their products are vegan. Most contain eggs/dairy.

I'm attempting a vegetarian diet again and hoping to stick with it this time. Actually I have tried the Morningstar corndogs and I liked them! But I haven't seen them around here for a long time. I tried a couple different kinds of veggie burgers (can't remember the brands) and they were OK if I added enough condiments to cover the taste.
#8 Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Vegan on the Cheap has a good recipe for meatless meatballs. It's similar to the chickpea cutlet recipe in veganomicon (which can also be made into meatballs - a version of which I posted here http://megatarian.blogspot.com/search/label/meatballs with lentils instead of chickpeas).

Hmm I think I might try that. My only question is where to find vital wheat gluten. The store I shop at has a "natural foods" section which carries gluten free, dairy free and some vegan products. It's only a small section of the store and so I've probably looked at just about every item they have there. lol But I don't recall seeing wheat gluten.
#9 Old 10-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans and rice View Post

Hmm I think I might try that. My only question is where to find vital wheat gluten. The store I shop at has a "natural foods" section which carries gluten free, dairy free and some vegan products. It's only a small section of the store and so I've probably looked at just about every item they have there. lol But I don't recall seeing wheat gluten.

at our grocery store it is in the aisle with the cake mixes and bread flours and stuff.
#10 Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Did someone say Morningstar Corn Dogs? Wow, I'll have to try that!

As for your question, I definitely agree with those who've said the best meat subs are the ones that don't try to taste like meat. If they focus on making a good texture, that's important to me. So far I like Quorn products in general. I've had some Yves things as well but didn't like them as well.

As for veggie hot dogs, I would avoid them altogether. (Unless someone knows of one that doesn't suck??) I've had a few and they were all inedible.
#11 Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 AM
Beginner

...My sister just purchased them a few days ago, though? Walmart still stocks them.
#12 Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Yves just started making veggie corn dogs. There was a thread about it in the Food Discussion forum not too long ago.
#13 Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

deleted
#14 Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Since Morningstar stopped making corn dogs sometime last year, I really hope those are the Yves brand ones she just bought.

Not Yves, nope. Morningstar! They are mini-corndogs though. Did they discontinue those, too?
Attachment 13701
LL
#15 Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Banned

deleted
#16 Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

RabbitLuvr is right. MSF no longer offers veggie dogs or corn dogs. (I'm SOOO tired of every single post ending up with cries for the return of the dogs). I imagine the mini-dogs recently found at WalMart are Veggie Patch brand, the packaging is VERY similar to MSF. Honestly, I like the VP dogs better than the ones MSF used to offer anyway.

I think it's true that if you buy a veggie product expecting it to mirror meat in flavor/txture you will be disappointed.
#17 Old 10-31-2010, 05:24 PM

Trader Joe's has frozen faux meatballs that are decent.. I make meatball subs with them or mash them into my pasta sauce :O
#18 Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

Quorn are the closest I've tasted to the real thing. They're vegetarian, not vegan.

they are yummers

Quote:

Morningstar does not make the Corn Dogs anymore.

Quote:

...My sister just purchased them a few days ago, though? Walmart still stocks them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Yves just started making veggie corn dogs. There was a thread about it in the Food Discussion forum not too long ago.

Quote:

Since Morningstar stopped making corn dogs sometime last year, I really hope those are the Yves brand ones she just bought.

Quote:

Not Yves, nope. Morningstar! They are mini-corndogs though. Did they discontinue those, too?
Attachment 13701

Quote:

Yes, all corn dogs were discontinued. They were recalled in May of 2009, and I believe they never returned to the market after that. MSF cited "supplier issues" as the reason they stopped production. MSF anounces the discontinuation of the corn dogs here.
Check the discussion area of MSF's Facebook page, pretty much ever discussion ends up with "bring back the corn dogs."

If Walmart is still selling these......add this to the long list of Reasons I Don't Shop at Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderboozer View Post

RabbitLuvr is right. MSF no longer offers veggie dogs or corn dogs. (I'm SOOO tired of every single post ending up with cries for the return of the dogs). I imagine the mini-dogs recently found at WalMart are Veggie Patch brand, the packaging is VERY similar to MSF. Honestly, I like the VP dogs better than the ones MSF used to offer anyway.

I think it's true that if you buy a veggie product expecting it to mirror meat in flavor/txture you will be disappointed.

wow really.....the superwalmarts near me are still stocking the MSF ones and they have a tag for them...I was planning on stocking up but not since I read all the things you guys posted....thankies for the info much appreciated....

peace
#19 Old 10-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

deleted
#20 Old 11-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I love Nate's mushroom flavored meatless meat balls.

These were my first veggie meatballs and they were so darned good, I never looked any further. I would venture to say that they are actually better tasting than real meatballs.
#21 Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

The only good veggie hot dogs I've ever had are the Tofurky ones. The rest are all yuck.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#22 Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans and rice View Post

I bought some vegetarian meatballs which looked like they would be tasty. They looked identical to the real thing but they tasted awful!
I can't really explain the taste either.

Does anyone have suggestions for meat substitutes which actually taste good?

Weird, I love them. I put them on pasta or cook them with marinera and make a meatball sub.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#23 Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Quorn is great because it's both soy and wheat free -- made from mycoprotein, which is derived from mushrooms. Doesn't taste anything like mushrooms, though -- just like chicken or whatever. They do a breaded cutlet with gruyere cheese baked into the crust that melts when you bake it, and another one with goat cheese and cranberries in it. Holy crap.

I will say, though, the last few times I've tried their products, they've made me feel really strange afterwards. Didn't used to do that.

www.WhyBecomeAVegetarian.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page