New potential vegetarian has question on egg whites? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 AM

I am new to the vegetarian scene. So far today I've eaten a bowl of corn flakes, two boiled egg whites and a bean burrito. Are there any benifits to eating the egg whites or no? The place I currently stay at serves alot of meat. So for dinner I can only eat the rice and bread that is offered there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Egg whites are a good source of protein, but lack the high amount of fat present in the yolk. Since you have so little to eat and you won't be eating meat anymore, it wouldn't be harmful to you to eat the yolk too. Vegetarians rarely have high cholesterol, since the main source of cholesterol is meat. (Unless, of course, you ate only eggs and cheese all day)
#3 Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks dormouse! Oh also I had some milk with the cereal, hoping to use soy from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity P View Post

Thanks dormouse! Oh also I had some milk with the cereal, hoping to use soy from now on.

What is your living situation? You mentioned that food is pretty much provided for you and you have limited options? Why is that?
#5 Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Im away from home in a dorm and we're served the food that is given there.
#6 Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Don't they offer a vegetable side with dinner?? I rarely go hungry even when eating family-style with meat-eaters because I just have a double (or triple) serving of whatever vegetables are offered. If you're eating at a university cafeteria with no veggies you have cause to complain...
#7 Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdena View Post

Don't they offer a vegetable side with dinner?? I rarely go hungry even when eating family-style with meat-eaters because I just have a double (or triple) serving of whatever vegetables are offered. If you're eating at a university cafeteria with no veggies you have cause to complain...

I went to a state university in MA and they rarely served a veggie entree, let alone side dishes. Even if they did (or thought they did!), they used beef or chicken gravy, or it had fish in it, or poultry... lots of fruit and juices for breakfast, but not much for lunches and dinners for the vegetarians. complaining really didn't do any good, the gist of what they told us was 'you have money, order out or go shopping.'

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#8 Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes you just have to do the best you can in a given situation. Personally I'd rather see you get 'most of the way there' than put your own health in jeapordy. If the 'vegetarian' dishes have some animal ingredients in them then you might just have to suck it up for now. Eggs are a good source of protein and as Dormouse said don't be afraid of the yolks either. They have a lot of nutritional content and if your options are that severely limited you may need the additional fat. The whole 'eggs raises cholesterol' myth has pretty much been debunked anyway. Surely they also have fruit available and some raw or steamed veggies of some kind? At any rate... good luck to you and welcome to VeggieBoards!
#9 Old 09-16-2010, 03:46 AM
Banned

I say if your food is truly limited to what they offer, then take whatever you can get to make sure your nutrition is adequate.
#10 Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

yes I agree take what you are given maybe some more options will come your way soon. I sometimes eat hard boiled eggs but not alot. Its depending what we have in the house really.
#11 Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hard-boiled eggs definitely rate low on the scale of "How would you like your eggs?" My host mom in Russia fed them to me everyday. I guess they are the least amount of work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page