Thinking about going Vegan, but am hypersensitive to proteins - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Beginner

I've been forced to go Vegetarian because of severe allergies. I've made the full change to vegetarianism. The isn't the first time I've gone Vegetarian, but will be a permanent lifestyle choice for me. I'm seriously considering going Vegan next year (can't do it this year due to 2 trips that I will find very few Vegan options at), but am severely sensitive to proteins. I can't have nuts, and Cane sugar either due to severe allergies, and only use berry sugar, maple sugar, and honey sparingly. So my question for the Vegans on this Board are what options do I have besides Tofu, and beans to supplement my proteins with, if I can't have nuts? I may partially transition to Vegan before my second trip by starting to avoid eggs, but any advice regarding this would be appreciated. It's been a long transition to vegetarian, and if I can find viable options to natural proteins it will make the transition to be a Vegan alot easier. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not fully vegan (I don't eat eggs and have cut out almost all dairy), but I get plenty of protein on days I don't eat nuts (or dairy). I add lentils to my rice, I eat lots of veggies (veggies contain protein). I use a nutrition tracker every now and then to make sure I'm getting enough of everything. And remember that many places that list protein requirements are much higher than they need to be. I'd recommend a book on vegan living.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#3 Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Dark green leafy veggies are awesome for protein And lentils, chickpeas, mushrooms

I'm not a vegan, but no doubt a wonderful persoon will come along and provide a much more substantial list than I can provide. Research is key though

Good luck, I couldn't manage veganism and I'm not even allergic and I've got to respect the effort you are putting in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't eat animals.

Since you have a lot of allergies, this may be a long shot, but wheat gluten is protein. It is what seitan is made from. If you are not gluten-sensitive, that may expand your vegan options.
#5 Old 07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by _elle_' date='19 July 2010 - 01:45 PM' timestamp='1279572302' post='2675887 View Post

Since you have a lot of allergies, this may be a long shot, but wheat gluten is protein. It is what seitan is made from. If you are not gluten-sensitive, that may expand your vegan options.

I won't bore you with the long list of allergies I've got. The meat, sugar and protein allergies hit me big time over the Christmas season last year. Went to an allergist in Jan, and confirmed what I suspected. Since then have figured out that all meat and seafood proteins (even though seafood wasn't confirmed and the allergist said I was fine with it) interact with the sugar allergy. It's weird, but when I eat protein of the meat/seafood variety, it triggers the severe sugar cravings and I binge out on sugar, then pay for it dearly the next day. It's strange how they interact with each other, and have reached the point where I would rather be sugar allergic than Diabetic. No meat means no sugar cravings and feel a great deal better being a vegetarian. It's been tough going veggie and sugar free at the same, and had a harder time cutting of the sugar than being meat free. Thanks for all your great replies to my questions. Am making lists of what's recommended and already went and got some vegan mayo to try out.
#6 Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I get enough protein from fruits and vegetables (mostly leafy greens). If you get enough calories and whole foods (produce), you get enough protein. You don't even need tofu or grains or nuts. Leafy greens are the best source of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, in my opinion.
#7 Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Just eat a variety of foods and you're good.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page