Grilling Out - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 PM

I just wanted to post a little something about Grilling out. I am the kind of guy who lives for grilling out all summer long. When I decided to go Vegetarian back in Febuary, one of the first comments I recieved from my Wife was " I guess you will not be grilling as much this Summer." Man was she ever wrong, in fact going Vegetarian has totally opend up new doors for me as far as grilling out on the patio or cooking a meal in the kitchen for that matter. Vegtables taste great off of the grill. I use one of those grill woks. You still get that smokey grilled taste just as you would with meat. Sweet potato's taste great off of the grill as well. So.... If there are any people out there reading this who are not quite sure about giving up meat because they think it will be the end of summer cookouts. Think again. My neighbors still know when I am grilling, the smells comming from my back yard have never been better. Have a great Summer!
Purp and bensgirl07 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for sharing this!

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#3 Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried grilled pineapple yet, but it's on my to-do list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

You're right. When I went vegan I gave my grill away because I thought I wouldn't need it anymore. What was I thinking?
#5 Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, ajeff, me too. I'm pretty famous for being a grill maniac. Several people's first comment was, "What are you going to do during grilling season?" Grilling season for me includes the winter months, I've been known to grill in the snow.

So, I tried eggplant. Ick, what a disaster, I may try again but I did something wrong. Pineapple is great! Sprinkle a little brown sugar on it before and it glazes nicely. Veggie kabobs: mushroom, pepper, onion, tomato, squash, etc... same bbq sauces I used before, yum. Baked potatoes, of course, nothing like 'em, tender yet moist. Corn cobs, artichoke and squash. I'll probably do some veggie burgers for the upcoming holiday weekend in the US.

What else are people throwing on their grill?
#6 Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Marinade portobello mushrooms

corn with hush on

wrap apples or peaches in tin with cinnamon and rum

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#7 Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

LOVE grilled asparagus, which is in season now, and grilled pinapple is very good too. I just bought some portobellos to stuff them with.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#8 Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

Soooo agree with ya....love to grill veggies.....corn, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms (for others I am allergic), green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, white and purple peppers....okay all peppers.....LOL.....love to do veggie kabobs w/ tomatoes....my sweetie loves onion on there too but not me.....hehe....ect

pineapple is good on the grill....yummers

peace
#9 Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

You know I never grill and I should! You're right though, there's lots of stuff you can grill as a veggie Anytime I go to a cookout I bring veggie burgers (I actually love the fake chicken patties grilled, yum!) or veggie dogs. The other night I went out and ordered grilled veggie kabobs with this spicey peanut dipping sauce and it was great!
#10 Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

such wonderful ideas!

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#11 Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 AM

MM i love to wrap fruit in tinfoil, strawberries, banana, pineapple, orange, to be honest you can use pretty much anything pour a little rum or pimms over it and then grill like a kebab! it's delicious! my favourite summer dessert.
#12 Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay grill masters I have some questions. I want to grill some whole sweet potatoes but I've never grilled whole potatoes before and not sure how exactly to do it. I've grilled chopped potatoes in tin foil with seasonings and earth balance but I don't want to chop the sweet potatoes. Do I just put them directly on the grill whole or do I still wrap them in tin foil? I also have some issues with grilling corn on the cob in the husk. Every time I grill corn it takes forever! Are there some tricks to grilling these things?
#13 Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I grill russet potatoes by wrapping them in foil and leaving them on for about 45 minutes, turning once. I tell when they're done by pressing gently to see if it's soft. Corn in the husk takes me about 20-30 minutes, I don't know any way to speed that up. I soak them in water beforehand but I think that's just to keep it moist.

I'll have to try the fruit/rum thing, although most likely I'll go straight to drinking the rum and skip the kabob part.
#14 Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I love this thread. The only thing I haven't had on the grill yet is the pineapple. Very soon, though. I love to stir fry my veggies with some marinated beef or chicken seitan. It's excellent. It gets that real BBQ charred flavor. With leftovers, I usually have a wrap for lunch the next day. Let's keep these great ideas coming.

Laura
#15 Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM

When I was grilling last weekend I had some of those little clementine oranges in the fridge and would peel them and toss them on the grill just for a couple min or so. They where out of this world! very juicy with just a bit of smokey flavor. Great to munch on while waiting for other stuff to get done.
#16 Old 05-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Okay grill masters I have some questions. I want to grill some whole sweet potatoes but I've never grilled whole potatoes before and not sure how exactly to do it. I've grilled chopped potatoes in tin foil with seasonings and earth balance but I don't want to chop the sweet potatoes. Do I just put them directly on the grill whole or do I still wrap them in tin foil? I also have some issues with grilling corn on the cob in the husk. Every time I grill corn it takes forever! Are there some tricks to grilling these things?

Very easy... just poke some holes in them with a fork and toss them on the hot grill. Turn them every ten min or so. They will take about 40 min. the outside will be black but the inside will be just right.
#17 Old 05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

I grill russet potatoes by wrapping them in foil and leaving them on for about 45 minutes, turning once. I tell when they're done by pressing gently to see if it's soft. Corn in the husk takes me about 20-30 minutes, I don't know any way to speed that up. I soak them in water beforehand but I think that's just to keep it moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeff View Post

Very easy... just poke some holes in them with a fork and toss them on the hot grill. Turn them every ten min or so. They will take about 40 min. the outside will be black but the inside will be just right.

Thanks for the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeff View Post

When I was grilling last weekend I had some of those little clementine oranges in the fridge and would peel them and toss them on the grill just for a couple min or so. They where out of this world! very juicy with just a bit of smokey flavor. Great to munch on while waiting for other stuff to get done.

Oh I've never considered grilling clementines before. I gotta try it now.
#18 Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Beginner

I'll have to refer back to this thread for all the tips! I love grilling potato patties, so delish! I can get a good garlic fix out of them too. I'm hungry now.
#19 Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Grilled pineapple is divine,as well as peaches. This is great thread! I'm with you, Laura. Keep 'em coming!
#20 Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone ever made grilled pizza? Just throw your dough on the grill, flip it and then throw on your toppings. I've never made it , but I've always wanted to. I saw it on a cooking show a long time ago. I'll have to dig up the exact recipe. I wrote it down, so I know it's somewhere around.

Laura
#21 Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Hi I'm new. Any one have tips on veggie burgers to try on the grill? Either brands or recipes would be great.

Thanks
#22 Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Morningstar Farms has these new Grillers Chik'n patties I've been grilling quite a bit. We also have grilled veggies and portobellos fairly often.

I even put some MF bacon on the grill last night to make a bacon cheesburger. Wife doesn't like me putting it in the microwave since it smells up the whole house.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#23 Old 05-27-2010, 12:18 AM

Hey! I just only want to mention that we recently grilled and I tried a vegan sausage the first time. I'm impressed because it tasted very delicious. By the way it's nice to eat two sausages instead of a real meat-sausage so, as woman you also can enjoy a grill-feast without remorses ^^

Nevertheless, the fact that you don't eat meat is the best and most important way to prevent a bad conscience!

Well.. what you too can grill: Zucchinis. But I'm a very bad cook so I shouldn't give advices how to prepare a splendidly grill-feast. :sweat

Good luck and moreover a good weather!
#24 Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^eatingwell.com has a bunch of grilled veggie pizzas. There's a black bean and corn one, and a southwest one. I didn't bookmard the one with the white bean puree that gets put down on the dough, and I'm bumming! I can't seem to find it in the searches.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#25 Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by longway View Post

Hey! I just only want to mention that we recently grilled and I tried a vegan sausage the first time. I'm impressed because it tasted very delicious.

The tofurkey sausages are delicious grilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Morningstar Farms has these new Grillers Chik'n patties I've been grilling quite a bit.

I've been so addicted to these things! The texture is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Has anyone ever made grilled pizza? Just throw your dough on the grill, flip it and then throw on your toppings. I've never made it , but I've always wanted to.

I've always wanted to try it too. I would've never thought to flip the dough. Makes sense though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post

Hi I'm new. Any one have tips on veggie burgers to try on the grill?

Boca and Morningstar are the only ones I've tried . I'm sure Amy's or Sunshine burgers would be good too. I've had issues with Dr.Praeger's burgers and homemade veggie or bean burgers staying firm and together while I've cooked them on the stove or in the oven so I don't know how well they would hold up on the grill.
#26 Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never grilled before the past couple of months and man, I don't know why I waited so long! Corn on the cob, marinated mushrooms, kabobs, peppers (so far I've done jalapenos, serranos, frisco), pineapple, zucchini.

To anyone in this thread who hasn't tried grilled pineapple:

Oh. My. Gosh. It is the best thing EVER. Go try it!

Thanks for the potato/sweet potato grilling tips. (And thanks to fadaway1289 for asking for tips!) I still need to try grilling asparagus. I'm always trying to think of something else to grill, so I'm loving this thread.
#27 Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm loving grilled carrots and grilled portabellas right now! I love the portabellas!! So tasty!! I'm thinking about trying to grill some fruit next time for a "dessert"

Also homemade seitan sausages, grilled up! YUM! I'm thinking I'm going to be grilling more than I ever have. I never used to like grilling and now, I want MORE of it!!
#28 Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post

Hi I'm new. Any one have tips on veggie burgers to try on the grill? Either brands or recipes would be great.

Thanks

I'm going to a "meatless burger" tasting this weekend at a local market. They're serving garden burgers (know what those are like), Food for Life vegan patty and Lightlife tofu pups. I'll report back.
#29 Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

LOVE grilled asparagus, which is in season now, and grilled pinapple is very good too. I just bought some portobellos to stuff them with.

I've just discovered asparagus having never liked it before, boy was I missing out. Its so lush grilled

Fruits are great grilled. Chocolate bananas on the bbq are fantastic especially with marshmallows - if you can afford the veg*n ones!

Totally agree about bbq's, they are so much tastier since going veg, there's seems to be so much choice now whereas before I felt we always had pretty much the same things. Plus its quicker than cooking meat so less time to wait yee!
#30 Old 05-28-2010, 06:47 AM

we are grilling all weekend (just got a new pool so doubt i willl be spending any time inside the house at all) on my kabobs i use orange, yellow & red bell peppers, purple onions, pineapple (which is amazing btw, its my favorite by far), & zucchini...has anyone every tried adding red apples on the kabobs? i think they would be awesome! im still trying to come up with some kind of side to make with rice or something... & the bf wants stuffed jalapenos but im having a hard time finding a veg*n alternative to how we are used to making them..

* grill power! *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page