Grilling Out - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post

Hi I'm new. Any one have tips on veggie burgers to try on the grill? Either brands or recipes would be great.

Thanks

Forget Morningstar Farms stuff, you can make your own and trust me they are WAY better. Here is what I do... I start with one of the larger size or 2 of the regular size cans of Black Beans, After I rinse and drain I pour them into a large bowl then add some chopped red peppers, chopped onion and chopped carrots, Sometimes I chop up some mushrooms but you do not have to. I then use a potato masher and mash this all up untill it is mush I season this with Zatarains Creole seasoning and a little liquid smoke but you can use whatever, Then I add 1 egg and then start adding in some plain unseasoned bread crumb untill I have a consistancy that lets me form them into hamburger bun size patties. This will make about 12 patties. I put mine on a wax paper covered cookie sheet and freeze them so I always have some on hand, but you can put them right on the grill too. This is better than anything you will find in the frozen food isle trust me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeff View Post

Forget Morningstar Farms stuff, you can make your own and trust me they are WAY better. Here is what I do... I start with one of the larger size or 2 of the regular size cans of Black Beans, After I rinse and drain I pour them into a large bowl then add some chopped red peppers, chopped onion and chopped carrots, Sometimes I chop up some mushrooms but you do not have to. I then use a potato masher and mash this all up untill it is mush I season this with Zatarains Creole seasoning and a little liquid smoke but you can use whatever, Then I add 1 egg and then start adding in some plain unseasoned bread crumb untill I have a consistancy that lets me form them into hamburger bun size patties. This will make about 12 patties. I put mine on a wax paper covered cookie sheet and freeze them so I always have some on hand, but you can put them right on the grill too. This is better than anything you will find in the frozen food isle trust me.

This sounds awesome. I am going to try this because I personally don't really care for the Boca/Veggie burgers I have tried. They are just okay, nothing special.

Thanks!

And everybody - awesome tips. I am taking notes!

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#33 Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

After I rinse and drain I pour them into a large bowl then add some chopped red peppers, chopped onion and chopped carrots, Sometimes I chop up some mushrooms but you do not have to. I then use a potato masher and mash this all up untill it is mush...

I'm confused about this part, do you cook the vegetables first? I don't think I'm strong enough to mash raw carrots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried grilling cauliflower last night. Not recommended.
#35 Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

I'm confused about this part, do you cook the vegetables first? I don't think I'm strong enough to mash raw carrots.

Too funny.
#36 Old 05-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Too funny.

Laura
#37 Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Didn't mean to do that.
#38 Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

You make a good point! LOL I chop up the carrots really small. sometimes I have the bags of shredded carrots and I chop them up just add them in with the mashed beans. I dont really use to much chopped carrot just a handful or so. The cool thing about these is you can make them however you want, use whatever kind of veggies you want, seasoning etc. I was thinking the other day I might do this with chili beans and use the same chili powder and seasonings I always used in my chili that I made when I was still eating meat.
#39 Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Sounds awesome thanks! I love that I can freeze them as well since I'm the only veggie in the house
#40 Old 05-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post

Sounds awesome thanks! I love that I can freeze them as well since I'm the only veggie in the house

They take about 2 min in a microwave when frozen
#41 Old 05-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, I was going to shred the carrots if I didn't hear otherwise.

I have this idea to add some teriyaki sauce and make teriburgers with a slice of grilled pineapple on top. That was one of my favorite meals when I was omni.
#42 Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

what would you replace the egg (binder im assuming ) with in that homemade recipe?

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#43 Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 PM

I use Ener-G Egg Replacement for my burgers it's a little spendy but it last a long time. Just store it in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
#44 Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just wondering about grilling today, so this post is really timely. I love asparagus, and intend to try it at the first opportunity. Any tips on marinade or how long to grill them? Thanks!

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#45 Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^I like to put the asparagus in a ziplock bag with some olive oil and Balsamic vinegar. I don't really let them sit for too long, then grill them up. you'll know when they are done, they soften up and have some grill marks on them.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#46 Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I was never a big fan of asparagus, and after trying it grilled, I'm hooked. I just use a little olive oil, nothing else, and it's perfect.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#47 Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

last night i was watching th food channel (used to love it, but now its getting irritating..please please promote a veg*n show!) ahem.. anyhow, they were grilling all sorts of fruits and vegetables (they griulled bananas, plantaines, and tater salad ((with the sauce!))) It was facintating i can't wait to try just about everything that way

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#48 Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

MM grilled peaches! thats new, i fancy that one this thread makes me so hungry. Thank you for all the excellent tips guys! it's going to be an AMAZING summer.
#49 Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinSong View Post

I was just wondering about grilling today, so this post is really timely. I love asparagus, and intend to try it at the first opportunity. Any tips on marinade or how long to grill them? Thanks!

I used a recipe where you use wooden skewers to attach the asparagus together into a "raft". Just lay the spears side-by-side, then poke the skewers sideways through them to hold them all together so they lie flat on the grill and don't roll around. Two or three skewers should do it (I used 2). Forget where I found the recipe, maybe on this forum.

I grilled until they had gill marks and were soft but not mushy, I'd say between 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
#50 Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Beginner

I'm really excited to try grilled veggies. We live in an apartment complex with community grills out in the yard, so for memorial day we grilled steaks, but now that Fourth of July is coming up, we're not sure what to do.
#51 Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM

I'll try just about anything on the grill: veggies, pizza, fruit (mmm peaches!), and anything else that I can keep from falling through the grates!

Most people throw corn on while it's still in the husk but I actually remove it, give them a nice coating of olive oil and S&P and cook them naked. They get a nice tasty char and cook much more quickly.

There's a restaurant here in Columbus called The Northstar Cafe that makes a flame grilled veggie burger that even my devout omni husband gets a mad craving for (my mouth is watering thinking of it!)

I haven't tried this recipe but the the creator says it's pretty close to Northstar's version: Northstar Veggie Burger Maybe I'll give it a try in the next day or two and let you all know how it turns out.

Happy Grilling
#52 Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 PM

skewers by gardein, tofurkey sausage, and burgers by Gardenburger are some of my favorites
#53 Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

We use our BBQ on a daily basis. Sometimes even for lunch AND dinner!
#54 Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom and I are having a vegan cookout this coming Wednesday. Should be fun...will be the first time I've had grilled food since going vegan.

Tam! RUGH!
#55 Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 PM

I just came up with a new way to bake a potato, came out good!!!

Wash the potato.

Cut it in half long way.

Cut two mushrooms in half.

Place the two potato halves skin down on aluminum foil sheet.

Place the mushrooms halves, two on each half of a potato.

Sprinkle with spices (oregano, garlic, etc)

Wrap the potatoes.

Cook on the grill on high for about 30 minutes, you don't flip these babies, the mushrooms always stay on the top.

When done , the skins will be crisp and the mushrooms will be stuck to the top of the potato halves, yummy!!!
#56 Old 06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

How about plantains? I can't remember the last time I tried them, and only fried.

I found this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Sounds great with pineapple!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#57 Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossom' date='28 May 2010 - 06:47 AM' timestamp='1275054420' post='2645059 View Post

we are grilling all weekend (just got a new pool so doubt i willl be spending any time inside the house at all) on my kabobs i use orange, yellow & red bell peppers, purple onions, pineapple (which is amazing btw, its my favorite by far), & zucchini...has anyone every tried adding red apples on the kabobs? i think they would be awesome! im still trying to come up with some kind of side to make with rice or something... & the bf wants stuffed jalapenos but im having a hard time finding a veg*n alternative to how we are used to making them..

* grill power! *

Ginblossom, why don't you post the stuffed jalapeño recipe and we can try to help veg*nize it for you!!
#58 Old 07-05-2010, 03:16 AM

I BBQ like 3 times a week, usually I grill veggie burgers/dogs, veggies, but my favorite thing to do is chop up a potato, wrap it up in tinfoil with olive oil, garlic, fresh parsley and rosemary, and let it bake. So effing good.
#59 Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM

Vegan/vegetarian grilling is awesome--sooo many different possibilities!

I usually run into more difficulty attending friends' or family members' cookouts than hosting my own. Has that ever happened to anyone else? You get invited to a BBQ, then you show up and the only options for food are hot dogs or hamburgers? Yikes.

One of my favorite blogs to follow, Vegan Yack Attack, came up with an awesome idea for vegan BBQ Party Packs. Super easy to assemble and bring along to a summer cookout, so you're not stuck with a dinner of potato chips. I'll be trying this, like, ASAP.

#60 Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I always bring my own food to a BBQ - usually enough for everyone. Veggie skewers always go down well.

If you're lacto - halloumi cheese is always a big hit at BBQs. Most people can't believe it grills!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page