Want to be Vegetarian but don't know where to start - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Ok so yeah, I'm a meat eater and I would like to be a vegetarian because I don't think it's healthy to be eating meat that's been treated so badly.

I would like to start but I can't seem to find a guide or anything that would set me on the right path. I can't cook that well, I'm a bit on a budget, and I'm worried that a vegetarian diet will be missing some nutrients that a meat eating diet would have because I do like to work out a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

lots of websites have info.

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/goingveg.html

there is also a big book called 'becoming vegetarian' that you could buy or borrow from a library:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=MuqJ...page&q&f=false

why don't you look into different things that you could eat, replacement products (like veggie mince, etc) and start doing a few veggie days a week?
#3 Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Well, first of all, don't get frightened and don't panic. When I first switched to vegetarian diet, it was as simple as ordering cheese pizza instead of the average pizza (I eat out a lot and am the worse cook in the world). What I want to say is, I didn't have anything planned at all. I just knew I didn't want to be a part of the meat industry anymore.

In the first week, I was constantly tired and ran out of energy very fast; the side effects of lacking iron. Don't worry - there are plenty of ways for you to get iron as a vegetarian (like eating parsley), I just wasn't really paying much attention to what I ate. I also lost five kilo's in the first week, mainly due to not consuming any fat (you can get healthy, plant based fat from soy stuff such as soy omlettes and soy pudding).

I just want to tell you that, even if you don't plan anything at all (which was my case), you can't get -too- wrong. You get the hang of it eventually, as your body will naturally tell you if you lack something (you will feel different). But once you figure it out, you'll feel fantastic, and you will never feel the need for meat again. Take my word - I was the greatest fan of steaks in the world before I turned vegetarian.

I see you've already been provided with a few links, lemme just throw in my own ---> www.GoVeg.org

I'm sure you'll find some useful information there, as well as some other reasons (apart from health) why you should go veg. And also note that, should you really be concerned about nutrients, you can always visit your doctor and have a talk with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

fnoop- if you were eating cheese pizza i bet you got plenty of fat. there is also fat in nuts, avocadoes, salad dressings....
#5 Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Begin with leaving out the meat and fish at breakfast, lunch and diner, or whenever you eat.

Buy good vegetarian cookbook.

By motivating book: "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Watch some movies: Babe, Food Inc., Meet your Meat, Chainsaw Massacre.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#6 Old 05-19-2010, 02:23 PM

thanks guys I will give it go.
#7 Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Beginner

Sounds like you already got lots of good advice! Let us know how it goes.
#8 Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

I think the book:

The Perfectly Contented Meateater Guide to Vegetarianism is the best for easy, interesting reading. It really gives a wide variety of information, as well as practical advice. I read it after becoming vegetarian, my 16 year old son, who really is a contented meateater, read it and really made a lot of changes to his diet.

Hey, you're here! I'd rate this forum as the most helpful for me. Browse all the forums, at anytime, and you'll find how great it can be-even if now it seems really hard and ackward.

Welcome!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 05-20-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

fnoop- if you were eating cheese pizza i bet you got plenty of fat. there is also fat in nuts, avocadoes, salad dressings....

When you switch from steaks and sausages to cheese, you are -not- getting plenty of fat :P at least not compared to the previous diet. Relativity sucks, dun it?
#10 Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Buying a rice cooker and a small slow cooker to cook beans in, and then learning a few simple beans and rice meals was how I started. there are so many ways to do rice and beans. New Orleans style, Mexican style, Indian, Asian etc etc enough to make you feel like your not having the same meal over and over. There are many other foods as well, but for me it was beans and rice that became the basic staple of my diet in place of meats. Honestly, eating rice and beans along with all diffrent kinds of veggies and fruit, is about as healthy of a diet as there is. Drink a lot of water as well and pretty soon you will be wondering why you ever ate meat in the first place. I know I do. Best of luck
#11 Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 PM

YES to the water. When you start taking in all the fiber that you're going to naturally be taking in, your body needs a lot of water to help with digesting. Also the water makes the fiber expand to make you feel fuller faster.

YES to this site. I was like a kid in a candy store when I first joined. SO much good help and info.

YES to the Tip Of The Day thread. It was the first thread I read on here and I just ate the thing up. Seriously good stuff.

Happy eating
#12 Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Watch some movies: Babe, Food Inc., Meet your Meat, Chainsaw Massacre.

Awesome.

PCRM has a lot of good info.

http://pcrm.org/health/veginfo/index.html

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page