Need some help on my food choices - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Hello everyone i am relatively new to being a veggie, i mean new as in about a week, though i never ate much meat before hand, i chose to give up meat and fish as over the last 6 months i;ve been ill and on a fair amount of medication and to be honest i felt so unhealthy and decided that this would be a good choice to follow. Well good news is its amazing, i have no cravings and i feel healthy at last! But my only trouble is i'm allergic to soya and i cant stomach mushrooms so currently working what i could eat for protein and such. I'm a good cook so any suggestion would be great. Also i hope i have posted this in the right forum, if not please forgive as i've just joined.

Brightest blessings LadyO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Soya is a better source of [excess] fat than protein, as are nuts and seeds and eggs.

You could try eating green leafy vegetables.
#3 Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Ahh well i;ve been keeping it rainbow colored with a good mix of things with pulses too, i'm readjusting to it very nicely but i alas need to make sure i'm doing it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

If you get enough calories and variety of vegetables, you get enough protein.
#5 Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Thank you penny, thankfully my friends and family have got over poking me about it and are be far more supportive lol.
#6 Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

If you get enough calories and variety of vegetables, you get enough protein.

This. Whole grains too.

Also don't worry about not liking mushrooms, there's plenty of us out there who can't stomach them!
#7 Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Tbh addie they fill me with dread gah horrible things. Also Buddhism is part of my lifes philosophy so changing diet for me has been both physical and spiritual reasons. Yes had a real crave for lentils yesterday so made dal it was nommy lol, as to start with i was missing out on the protein in my diet and was being a bit disoragnised, oh well i'm sure i'll get the knack of it soon and this forum will help no end!
#8 Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

This forum is definitely a great resource. Also, pick up a few cookbooks and have fun trying out new things!

Mushrooms also creep me out, I can't get past the fungus thing and the way the smell when they're cooked. No worries
#9 Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

If you eat whole foods instead of processed foods and many different colors of fruits and veggies every day, it is unlikely you will end up deficient in anything. That's the approach I use. Serves me very well.
#10 Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Thanks guys, yes have cut out processed and fatty foods also, also not a huge eater of dairy and eggs or gluten(i'm a fussy begger) but i have intolerences to both gluten and lactose so have to be very careful what i eat!
#11 Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

can you or do you eat nut butters? (made yourself)

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#12 Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM

i do now and again, thing is i need to get inventive as i know it should be impossible to eat the same thing twice in a week or come to that month with the amount of choice you have. I love tahini(sp?) penut butter always found a bit salty for my likings, will have to trawl through the recipe forums at some point tonight!
#13 Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_oblivion View Post

peanut butter always found a bit salty for my likings

I only use the unsalted kind. A lot of commercial brands have unnecessary oils and salt added. I like mine plain and unsalted. More versatile that way too.
#14 Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

i know that our health food store has a grinder right there.. nothing unecessarily salty there...

yeah i don't blame you! the recipe sectionis great pillage away

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#15 Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Most big grocery stores will have either "organic" or "All natural" peanut butters and many will have unsalted as well.

I love the Teddy brand Unsalted All natural. Only one ingredient: peanuts.
#16 Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 AM

I sincerely apologize for the making of no sense on my last post, i'm quite shocked at myself. Eh i was a bit all over the place yesterday hehe and thanks for the adivce
#17 Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM

I am new as well and beans have become my friend. I never used to really eat them that much but have found I absolutely love dark kidney beans as well as black beans. I made some spanish brown rice and took a can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed well. Then added them to a pan with a bit of water and half a pack of taco seasoning mix and used it as a taco filling for supper one night. They were super good with lettuce, tomato and avacado. Quinoa and beans or lentils are also nice added to a rice pilaf. I also saw somewhere to smash garbonzo beans with a fork and add whatever you normally would to make a "salad" sandwich. I was thoroughly shocked by how good it was.

I decided to go meat free for health reasons and at first was only going to worry about it while at home and still allow myself meat while out if I wanted to. That was about 6 weeks ago. I haven't had meat since, even while out, and haven't craved it even though I still cook it for my family. I am amazed by all the foods out there I have been missing because I was stuck in my little meat eating box and unwilling to experiment with new things. Eating is becoming a real enjoyment for me these days.

Best to you on your journey!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page