What foods did you hate before going veg*n.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM

....that you LOVE now?

For me it's dehydrated fruit. It really used to gross me out but I have a new appreciation for it now that it is a great alternative to candy which can often be iffy in terms of it's veg*n friendliness.

Also, beans. I used to only eat them in chilli really. I would see a bean salad at a potluck or barbeque and think "um.... no." I just thought it looked gross. I made my own bean salad a few days ago and I'm OBSESSED with it! Soooo good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always loved fruit and veg, but I'm still trying to like aubergines and tomatoes, I hate the texture of them, and also avocados because they just taste weird and waxy to me. Any tips?
#3 Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Well my favorite way to eat Avocados is to use them as sandwich spread on cucumber and spinach sandwiches. I use avocado and hummus as spreads and then a bit of salt and pepper. It's so fresh and yummy!

I only recently started liking avocados myself but it was before I became a veggie. I love them in guacamole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2010, 04:15 PM

I hated spinach. Now I use it all the time in recipes.
#5 Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't have liked tofu, seaweed, soya milk before I became vegetarian/vegan (I'm almost vegan but not totally), but I can't remember them being around 25 years ago when I started. One thing that I did dislike intensely but now like is avocado.
#6 Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM

coconut....loathed it for many many years but now I like it...sorta...lol
#7 Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 AM
lea

I hated beans (and I still hate beans !!!). And I also hated lentils. But now I love it. Problem was I didn't know how to cook them in a tasty way and I found the solution in vegetarian cookbooks.
#8 Old 04-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned

Leafy greens. I love 'em all now, but collard greens still make me gag when i try to force them down... pure tastes like a plant.
#9 Old 04-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Before I became vegan I hated avocados and bananas. I still don't very often just eat a banana straight up, but I love them in smoothies and when they're frozen and put into a food processor--yummy soft serve! And avocados...I could seriously eat one every day and not complain. I love them sliced up on toasty bread with salt and pepper.
#10 Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Eggplant
#11 Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never liked tomatoes aside from salsa, pasta sauces, ketchup, etc. I've started eating them in big slices on pizzas, and in small amounts raw (on stuff... not brave enough to try them alone yet), and I actually don't mind them. I seriously used to gag if there was a tiny piece of raw tomato on something.

I wasn't a big asparagus fan either, but I've discovered that asparagus is AMAZING grilled. I've yet to try it cooked another way since becoming vegetarian, but I'd be more willing to now.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#12 Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Beginner

I always hated arugala. Now it makes me so happy to find in a salad
#13 Old 04-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

Eggplant

+1. Also mushrooms, especially portobellas. Used to hate them, now I eat them all the time. I'm getting used to asparagus, too - especially grilled.

Now, if only I can learn to like parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, zucchini & squash...I'm working on it!
#14 Old 04-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

coconut....loathed it for many many years but now I like it...sorta...lol

This.

I HATED coconut. Hated it to no end. Now I like it. I wouldn't want it all the time, but I don't scoff and run away now.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#15 Old 04-11-2010, 03:09 PM

Before I was vegan I hated peanuts, coconut, and tofu. I am pretty much in love with baked nd fried tofu now, and the coconuts and peanuts make great sauces/curry for it.
#16 Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to hate olives, love them now.
#17 Old 04-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Pretty much any food that isn't microwavable...haha. Really though, almost all veggie I hated.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#18 Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM

tomatoes
#19 Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newask View Post

I always hated arugala. Now it makes me so happy to find in a salad

Arugula is my favorite green

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#20 Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to REALLY dislike Pineapple (even pineapple flavored things) with a passion! Now I can eat them almost daily and actually like 'em..

So odd how our tastes can change!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#21 Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Oh man! I seem to find a new one every other week! Eggplant was a big one for me beacuse i always just assumed that it turned into slime, but it really holds a nice texture. Last night i found out how good zucchini can be. Lately I discovered squash as well. I love vegetables so much, I can't believe it. I think, and I hope they never learn this, that my mom and dad have no conception of how to cook a vegetable. If it's not a potato, they just made it into a kind of mush.

I hope to learn in the future to like all things vegetable - I still haven't tried kale, although you can't read about veg*nism without hearing about it. There's always tomorrow!
#22 Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

What's weird is I can't think of anything... I think everything I love now I either loved before or hadn't tried... Anything I hate now I've always hated or hadn't tried before!

None of my tastes have really changed. I've always thought raw tomatoes, mushrooms, and cilantro can go to hell and I haven't changed my mind even a little bit since becoming vegan. Hrm.
#23 Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Asparagus. It used to make me gag and now I crave it!
#24 Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

All you weirdos who didn't like asparagus. *tsk tsk*

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#25 Old 04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Mushrooms! Now I like them, but only the portabella's/baby bella's etc. Still not into white button mushrooms.

And I didn't dislike beans per se, but I didn't really eat them, now I do all the time.

Hummus - I just had never tried it before!

TOFU! Still learning to like it, but I'm getting there Frozen, pressed, marinated, and baked is i think my favorite way to eat it. Tofu scramble was okay.
#26 Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

all the veg foods that I like now...i started liking before going down the veg road. but several years ago when i went veg for like 3 days i would have starved to death lol...i didn't like anything.
#27 Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 AM

olives, use to hate them. Now I don't mind them at all... weird?!
#28 Old 04-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Banned

Just aubergine, because I only ever had it when it had been badly cooked and turned all grey and mushy. Now that I cook it myself, I love it.
#29 Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSauceHobo View Post

I love vegetables so much, I can't believe it. I think, and I hope they never learn this, that my mom and dad have no conception of how to cook a vegetable. If it's not a potato, they just made it into a kind of mush.

I KNOW!!!! God my parents were HORRIBLE cooks! Hamburger Helper anyone? *gag*
#30 Old 04-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom is a wonderful woman with many impressive skills, but cooking isn't one of them. She went for convenience, which meant frozen vegetables boiled until soft and mushy then coated with margarine. So, of course, I hated them. I won't touch frozen veggies now unless a recipe calls for it or I can't the fresh version because it's out of season or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page