Potential vegetarian and TTC (trying to conceive) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 PM

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well!

After seeing many documentaries on how animals are cruelly treated and killed, having severe migraines due to fast food, wanting a healthier lifestyle, and such, I have decided to carefully consider becoming a vegetarian. I have tried to eat organically, cage free, free range, etc from all my food, but still wonder about the poor animals - how they luce and die.

I wanted to come and see about any advice you might have for me in making my decision. I know there are many kinds of vegetarians. So let me tell you my lifestyle.

I am 25, recent college grad, married, 2 cats, and trying to conceive our first child. Yay! That is my first concern - conceiving, caring, nuturibg a child if I become a vegetarian. Second, my hubby is a huge carnivore. Although I do not mind, I will have to cook 2 meals or variations of a meal when I cook to accommodate us both. That is another concern - anyone else in this boat? How do you do it?

We eat out (not fast food) about twice a week if not only once. While I dint really care of beef, fish, or pork, I do live eggs, milk, and occasional chicken. I've tried Boca burgers and morning stars chicken and like those. I like tofu.

I worry about getting what my body needs and then what it needs to conceive, carry, and feed a baby.

Any insight and help would be great!!!

Thank you in advance,

Constance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 PM

My wife and I are also TTC. Even though we are veg*n, we are both very healthy and have normal hormone levels.

The American Dietetic Association states that a balanced vegetarian or vegan diet is suitable for all stages of life including infancy, childhood, adulthood and pregnancy.

Make sure to get all of your vitamins by taking a vegan prenatal, even while TTC (before pregnancy). My wife takes DEVA brand Vegan Prenatal (Over the counter) and DEVA Vegan CAL-MAG Plus.

We also make sure to get plenty of dark leafy greens and protein from a variety of vegan sources. We consume flax seeds and olive oil in various dishes to get plenty of healthy fats.

I would definitely say that from my experience, a vegetarian or vegan diet has done nothing but help us while TTC. We have more energy, are depressed less often and have great health.

EDIT: I did not mean to imply that you have to take a multivitamin to be healthy on a veg*n diet. I simply meant that while TTC it may be a good idea for things like folic acid.
#3 Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

oh yes we are trying to conceive right now also I am getting more better foods in my system and drinking plenty of water also. I need to get a hold of those vitamins since we are serious. I am thinking I am just going to into vegetarian pregnancy and go from there but i am trying to conceive while I am getting healthy also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

TTC? i'm sorry but all i'm getting is the Toronto Transit Commision. could you be a bit clearer, and i'll edit your title so that you don't miss some potentially helpful comments from others who aren't familiar with your initialism? ta.
#5 Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

It's "trying to conceive", I edited
#6 Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

thanks. i was pretty sure it had little to do with the subway, but you know....
#7 Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

thanks. i was pretty sure it had little do do with the subway, but you know....
#8 Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

TTC as a vegetarian is not a problem. Millions of people have done it (for instance in India). Buy a good book with recipes.

To eat chicken is not vegetarian.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#9 Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a few in my wish list on amazon of vegetarian Trying to conceive and pregnancy what are good books?
#10 Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Hi CNSmith! I am a vegetarian and TTC. The very best TTC book I know of is Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's not about vegetarianism, but I think anyone who is TTC should read it.

Here are some books about pregnancy and vegetarianism: Your Vegetarian Pregnancy, The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, and if you want to go really extreme, there is Skinny ***** Bun in the Oven.

If you have any other questions about TTC and being vegetarian, feel free to send me a message. Good luck!
#11 Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

wow this is a wonderful post to stumble on as my hubby and i are TTC right now too.. He isn't really comfortable with my decision to go full veg*n while TTC. But hasn't been too pushy either (just comments that he wants me to eat "some meat") which is nice (i however haven't caved)

I take prenatals year round have for years (dr is totally fine with it too...)

Im excited to have some literature to referance now however so thanks!

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#12 Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My brother and I were both conceived on vegetarian diets, although I still like to think the stork dropped me off . We both came out healthy and have had no mental or physical problems so far.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page