Weeding out closed-minded individuals...... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Beginner

I have been vegetarian for all of 4 weeks now. Somehow, in a conversation with a guy I have been talking to, I mentioned not eating meat. He immediately said that me being a vegetarian was a deal-breaker. I thought this was hilarious! However, he keeps emailing me and messaging me now. What an idiot.

Saved me some wasted time is all I can say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Lol. What was he expecting you to do? Go, ohmygosh, I can't live with out the chance of you, you are soooo wonderful, I must give up my morals so that you approve of me!' Psshh...silly boy.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

You'll encounter a lot of these sorts with being veg. Congrats on 4 weeks BTW

I used to feel frustrated by close minded people and get angry. Now I just feel sorry for them as they miss so many details in the bigger picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I fail to see the bad part.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree. I like to know these types of people right away, saves me the trouble of finding out he's a jerk later down the line.
#6 Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

It's good that that was taken care of right from the get go. Yes, you have the right idea, move on to more excepting people. I just can't figure out why people are so concerned about what we eat, it's silly.
#7 Old 03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Love you guys' responses! I agree that he must have thought I might grovel and say, "Oh, nevermind... for a man I will eat whatever you want me to."

I guess it is just funny to me to see these kind of people saying these things to me. I would have never been one to think I would go veg, but I feel so good, I wish I had done it years before.

Now, of course, smoking is a deal-breaker for me. Even if someone doesn't smoke around me I can smell the smoke in their hair and clothes and taste it in their kiss (ew). Maybe the gasses escaping from cutting vegetables are bothersome to omnivores. I never noticed it before.
#8 Old 03-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

WHAT?! Why is food a deal breaker?! I don't like collard greens, but I'm sure if I told someone that they wouldn't say, "OH NO. NO, NO, NO. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE." Really? REALLY?!
#9 Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

But omnivores eat vegetables, so I doubt they'd be able to notice, Crimson. It really is weird, anyway.
#10 Old 03-22-2010, 06:13 PM

hey there

congrats on four weeks.....and happy that you found out early about this guy

peace
#11 Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL that's awesome.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#12 Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

All I can say is, judging people based on superficial facets of their lifestyle is a major dealbreaker for ME, so I'd just thank the guy for letting me know what a shallow prick he was in advance and be on my way.
#13 Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

All I can say is, judging people based on superficial facets of their lifestyle is a major dealbreaker for ME, so I'd just thank the guy for letting me know what a shallow prick he was in advance and be on my way.

Well said
#14 Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Lets be honest here for a second. It IS more difficult to date a veg*an because so much in our society is centered on stuffing our faces. The movies, restaurants, sport events, etc. If you are trying to date a veg*an as an omni, then they will have to be the type that doesn't mind this. Few people are like that. Gluttonous face stuffing is the center of pretty much every single get-together. That being said, be happy you know he's "one of those people" before you sunk your heart into him.
#15 Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

His loss, I'd say.
#16 Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I agree, well said!
#17 Old 03-27-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimmsonne View Post

I have been vegetarian for all of 4 weeks now. Somehow, in a conversation with a guy I have been talking to, I mentioned not eating meat. He immediately said that me being a vegetarian was a deal-breaker. I thought this was hilarious! However, he keeps emailing me and messaging me now. What an idiot.

Saved me some wasted time is all I can say.

Are you sure he wasn't joking?
#18 Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

His loss, I agree. But it's not superficial. Like you, he's learning to pay attention to red flags. Most men love to be cooked for. And this red flag says this won't end up with you ever cooking bacon and burgers for him, or cleaning and cooking his catch for him. Good that he can recognize and acknowledge a deal-breaker, and hilarious that he can't break off contact. Even though it makes you incompatible, he probably likes and respects that you stand your ground. Or, if he knows you're new to all this, he's hoping to wait it out in case you go back to meat....
#19 Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My best advice is get another guy that supports your lifestyle. He was off the line when he said deal breaker. My husband supports my decision of becoming vegetarian and I am going closer and closer of going full time soon because of health problems. Anyhow Best of Luck for you and don't worry about him.
#20 Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveVegan View Post

Lets be honest here for a second. It IS more difficult to date a veg*an because so much in our society is centered on stuffing our faces. The movies, restaurants, sport events, etc. If you are trying to date a veg*an as an omni, then they will have to be the type that doesn't mind this. Few people are like that. Gluttonous face stuffing is the center of pretty much every single get-together. That being said, be happy you know he's "one of those people" before you sunk your heart into him.

Hey hey now, let's not let the omnis hog all the gluttonous fun! I reserve my right to sit down and nom down on half a bag of carrots.
#21 Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discobanditt View Post

Hey hey now, let's not let the omnis hog all the gluttonous fun! I reserve my right to sit down and nom down on half a bag of carrots.

LOL

I love carrots but they give me a severe tummy ache.

I'm one of those people that don't really center my life around when I eat next. I eat to sustain life. THere are days I eat once a day and days I eat 4 times a day. I had to change my head about food to lose weight since I was way overwieght (I'm not anymore). So now food is a necessity rather then a pastime. I'm not vegan for health reasons even though it worked out that way. So sometimes it bugs me that every single social function has to involve food. Going anywhere socially becomes this ordeal about what to eat. If I do eat junk food then I have to count calories and work it off that day on top of my normal wieght lifting. So when you think about it, eating those chips at a birthday party just isn't worth a 2 mile jog I have to find time for later on. :P
#22 Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a good thing you found out he was douche-bag now rather than in a couple of months. It's totally his loss and I think its totally hilarious too that he is still talking to you

Anyone who doesn't respect me being veg... that's a deal breaker for me. There would be no point to being with them long term.
#23 Old 03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I have made comments without thinking about them before. Maybe I am an idiot, but I'm not sure changing an opinion or rethinking your position makes you so. I don't like this idea of 'closed-minded people' because we are all closed-minded. It is silly to think otherwise; dangerous even. So while he acted a bit dumb, I'm not sure posting about it and calling him an idiot is particularly suave.
#24 Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it does some good to get out some aggression on the boards about people who clearly judging us when knowing very little facts. No one was hurt when making this thread. :P

Even if I didn't bad mouth this guy, I still wouldn't be suave. :P
#25 Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Just today an omni sought out a veg video on one of the youtube channels I subscribe, and replied with something like; "I like bacon unfortunately this is the only way to get it" (in the video new born piglets were being slammed to the ground and tossed in a pile still alive) so I asked him if all the suffering he saw was worth a few minutes of flavor on his tongue.

He flipped out. I was called a racial slur, told to "suck it", called a "dumass" and my great, great, great grandfather (not sure which one?) was accused of enslaving this 19 year old boys great, great, great grandfather. Then he sent me a friend request, which was not accepted.

So, an omni's words can be much more hateful and ignorant.

I know before I was ready to change my life, I had a strong dislike for vegheads & PETA and I didn't even know why... Perhaps I had heard I better? Perhaps it was because I assumed they thought they were better than me, when in reality, I was the one who was afraid they were better than me because deep down I knew eating meat and turning a blind eye to the animals that had sacrificed their lives was wrong.

You can't make them feel it, you can't make them accept your decisions. You can only hold strong to your own morals, present facts and visuals and hope something will move them towards change.
#26 Old 04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Just today an omni sought out a veg video on one of the youtube channels I subscribe, and replied with something like; "I like bacon unfortunately this is the only way to get it" (in the video new born piglets were being slammed to the ground and tossed in a pile still alive) so I asked him if all the suffering he saw was worth a few minutes of flavor on his tongue.

He flipped out. I was called a racial slur, told to "suck it", called a "dumass" and my great, great, great grandfather (not sure which one?) was accused of enslaving this 19 year old boys great, great, great grandfather. Then he sent me a friend request, which was not accepted.

So, an omni's words can be much more hateful and ignorant.

I know before I was ready to change my life, I had a strong dislike for vegheads & PETA and I didn't even know why... Perhaps I had heard I better? Perhaps it was because I assumed they thought they were better than me, when in reality, I was the one who was afraid they were better than me because deep down I knew eating meat and turning a blind eye to the animals that had sacrificed their lives was wrong.

You can't make them feel it, you can't make them accept your decisions. You can only hold strong to your own morals, present facts and visuals and hope something will move them towards change.

<3
#27 Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Perhaps it was because I assumed they thought they were better than me, when in reality, I was the one who was afraid they were better than me because deep down I knew eating meat and turning a blind eye to the animals that had sacrificed their lives was wrong.

^this! I was the same way as an omni, I hated it when vegans and veggies would say things to me about my diet. I told myself that it was because they were out of touch with the world, unrealistic, and snobby. In reality, I knew what I was doing was wrong and it caused me to feel that way. I wish more people would realize this... Humans behave very strangely when someone challenges us about something we are doing that we know, deep down, is wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page