It's my one week mark!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-05-2010, 06:31 AM

Yay for me!!!

I cannot believe how different I feel in one week. My stomach is smaller... I swear... I am not nearly as bloated as I have always felt!!!

I got a little frustrated yesterday because I was in the car all day for work. I didn't do a good job of planning a snack for the car and I was starving (it was dinner time) I kept thinking how easy it would be to pull into a fast food joint and fill myself up. But I restrained!!!

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the good information that you all have given me over the past week.

I like it here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on a GREAT week ~ the first of many more!!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#3 Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on the first week.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

congrats! Planning ahead can help ward off those temptations....good job on restraining yourself. pack some nuts or fruit, or veg granola bars to have on hand.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#5 Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Banned

7 days is a good start , easy really , just one day at a time .

BTW, I have used fast food joints on the road just to make up a bread bun with salad in .
#6 Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM

granola bars are a good idea... I am allergic to nuts!
#7 Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Congratulations!

You're much stronger than many people I know who tried to become veg*n. Haha.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#8 Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on a great first week!

And I echo what others have said - veg*n snacks are a MUST. It can be hard to break ANY habit - including food habits. So take preventative measures and make sure you always have some granola bars or dried fruit or crackers in your bag so you can snack.

Here's to another great week!
#9 Old 03-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Congrats
#10 Old 03-05-2010, 06:01 PM

My sister said, "I wonder how long THIS will last..."

I have tried 3 times before. I told her that things are different now and tried to tell her about the videos that I have watched and she DID NOT want to hear it.

I guess she would rather stay blissfully ignorant!
#11 Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried to become a vegetarian about 6 years ago and it didn't last more than 2 weeks, I think mainly because it was just sort of an experiment for me. The second time, I had a lot more knowledge going in and I did it over night and never looked back. I was a vegetarian for a year before going Vegan almost two years ago. The point is it can just click and you never look back. Now I can't imagine every being anything but Vegan.

As for your sister not wanting to "hear it" most people don't. I think everyone should see "meet your meat," but you will scarcely find people who eat meat that are willing to watch it.

So. good for you, it sounds like you are ready to stick to it.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

#12 Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks, I am.

I just watched more of "Earthlings" tonight and I had to turn it off. It was just heartbreaking but really solidified that I am doing the right thing.
#13 Old 03-06-2010, 09:55 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerhottie View Post

My sister said, "I wonder how long THIS will last..."

I have tried 3 times before. I told her that things are different now and tried to tell her about the videos that I have watched and she DID NOT want to hear it.

I guess she would rather stay blissfully ignorant!

\\

Ignorance is bliss. I have encountered several omnis who have said they wouldn't care about seeing Earthlings or Meet Your Meat, that they would still consume animal products. Some of these are the people who are saddened and grossed out by seeing pictures of a snake (a natural predator) consuming another animal...

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#14 Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 AM

oh and GREAT NEWS.... I had some in depth allergy testing done yesterday and I am NOT allergic to nuts!!!

The doctor thinks my reaction was because I was in the middle of a nasty asthma flare!

Yay!!!!!
#15 Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay to you! (And that's also good news about the nuts.)

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#16 Old 03-09-2010, 04:27 AM

Yep, today is day 12 of no meat... I seriously don't even want it now.
#17 Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 AM

congrats!! I also agree on how much this board helps the transition. Its making the change from meat to vegetarian that much easier
#18 Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats! Me too, it's been two weeks today since I last ate meat.

I've lost 5 pounds in that time without even trying, and no, it's not muscle loss, unless my love handles and beer belly were made out of muscle.
#19 Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Getting through the first month and the first major food holidays are usually the hardest part. If you can do that, it really does get easier with time. Soon, it's all second-nature.
#20 Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 AM

Last night was really the hardest night so far for me. I am getting ready for a HUGE event tonight (professional fundraising is part of my job) and the stress + wicked PMS almost got the better of me.

I made it though and I am really going to try to take it one meal at a time.

I am running into obstacles with the fact that I am the only vegetarian in my household and it is getting tiring cooking 2 seperate meals a few days a week.

I have not found ANY of the meat substitues that I like. I think its a texture thing.

I am happy with veggie lasagna and bean burritos.

LOL.
#21 Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing a great job! I agree with GingerFoxx that the first big challenge will be the first food holiday that you celebrate. For me it was hard because my husband's family is all about food, and here I was all of a sudden (after several years of marriage) becoming vegetarian, refusing to eat the turkey, ham, whatever. But my husband let them know well in advance and they were great - they took it as a challenge to create veg*n dishes!

It's also hard being the only veg*n in the household, but that gets easier with time as well. I was the only one for about 6-7 months, but then DH shocked by announcing out of nowhere that he was becoming veg*n too! Made things much easier.

Good luck on your continued journey!
#22 Old 03-11-2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks... I was actually dabbling with veg*nsim at Thanksgiving, so I didn't partake then.

I don't think my hubby will switch. He has the VERY misguided perception that because animals are born into those conditions, they don't know any better.

We have actually had 2 very heated arguments on the subject.

I guess I have a different perception because I grew up on a farm. Though my family raised hogs that were eventually sold, I know how those animals were treated. They had a HUGE area to roam and lots of mud to roll around in. I know they met a bad end, but at least their lives were good up until then, not confined and neglected.

Heck, my dad kep 3 of them as pets, he couldn't part with them.
#23 Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Maybe you could purchase a crock-pot , you can cook heaps in those and freeze the rest ...you can have a meal waiting for you when you get home .

Also their are a lot of meals you can cook vegetarian , you keep your part out and add the meat part for the rest at the end .<examples on the VBs .

Sounds like the transition is going okiedokie
#24 Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Congratulations!!!!! I'm sure you feel an incredible sense of accomplishment - KUDOS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page