Why? Why the comments? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 AM

Why do we get subjected to really really stupid comments??? I never thought this thing really existed until changing over myself... but it does!

My sister in law just told me, that the reason it took me so long to drive into the city to pick up my husband and come back, was because I don't eat chicken!!! LOL! She was being a smarty pants obviously... but why do people feel the urge to do that? I haven't said anything to her about her eating habits. Yesterday she interogated me (Quite literally in a loud voice) If when she comes to my house, will I cook her a chicken??!

I don't know... this is crazy! lol.

xx J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 AM

yeah that's like my mother. I ate a small piece of dark chocolate (vegan might i add) and she said "you might as well start eating meat then if you are going to eat food like that" um why?

Can't vegans have treats once in a while?? what a silly comment
#3 Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post

I haven't said anything to her about her eating habits.

This is precisely what I say to people who feel the need to make comments. I say "I'm not bothering you about YOUR eating habits, so why are you bothering me about mine?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, she sounds very insecure with what she eats. She is a prime target for you to bring over to the dark side, using your moral superiority and condescending elitism!
#5 Old 03-05-2010, 04:46 AM

I'm new to being a vegetarian and I also found the comments just plain weird! I don't even really tell people (especially strangers) I am veg*n unless they ask or want to know why I am not eating meat, and they CONSTANTLY tell their stupid jokes, ridiculous comments, or push their omni beliefs! And, their biggest comments are usually defensive about what they are eating when I never, ever push my beliefs on them or even remotely tell them what they are doing is wrong. I think it is just weird because I didn't act that way when I was an omni!
#6 Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Hostility & insecurity. Most omnis feel conflicted/tensioned/uneasy when they are around veg*ns, may be she just needed an outlet so took the opportunity to voice her opposition over your belief whilst still feel guilty on the inside?
#7 Old 03-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually just laugh at them or crack a joke myself. That kind of behavior almost always stems from insecurity - they're subconsciously trying to get you to lash out so they can write you (and your philosophies) off as unreasonable. Just be reasonable - they'll be shaking in their boots.
#8 Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

You know what's weird? I haven't gotten a lot of outrightly rude comments. However, I often encounter omnis who automatically become sheepish and defensive upon learning of my veganism, and feel the need to explain why they eat meat, or say something like "oh, I should really look into cutting out meat," or "yeah, I tried to be a vegetarian, but it was so hard."

I'll also get compliments like "Wow, you're so dedicated," "You must have a strong will" and so on. It's a little awkward, because the omnis are usually quite self-deprecating about their meat eating. Usually, I'm at a loss for how to respond, other than "Thanks. I like being vegan a lot."

I don't know why - I make it a point to never push my views on anyone or criticize someone else's dietary choices. Perhaps, deep-down, the omnis know eating meat is wrong and their little comments come from their guilt eating away at them?
#9 Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

She interrogated you.. and you just sat there?! Whoah.. I couldn't have done that! lol..

Whenever I'm subjected to this, I throw the whip right back in their direction ( kindly & compassionately of course! ). Be your own best friend and defend yourself!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#10 Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanielou View Post

yeah that's like my mother. I ate a small piece of dark chocolate (vegan might i add) and she said "you might as well start eating meat then if you are going to eat food like that" um why?

Tell her it never cried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I usually just laugh at them or crack a joke myself. That kind of behavior almost always stems from insecurity - they're subconsciously trying to get you to lash out so they can write you (and your philosophies) off as unreasonable. Just be reasonable - they'll be shaking in their boots.

^^ This is what I do too.
#11 Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:

but why do people feel the urge to do that? I haven't said anything to her about her eating habits.

sounds like its about time to start if you want her to stfu
#12 Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Beginner

Omnivores say the stupidest things :P

No, I get it all the time with my family, I have a thread somewhere about the whole "meat-etarian" joke that, despite how completely stupid it is, people still want to say it.

Bahhh.
#13 Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladDay View Post

You know what's weird? I haven't gotten a lot of outrightly rude comments. However, I often encounter omnis who automatically become sheepish and defensive upon learning of my veganism, and feel the need to explain why they eat meat, or say something like "oh, I should really look into cutting out meat," or "yeah, I tried to be a vegetarian, but it was so hard."

I'll also get compliments like "Wow, you're so dedicated," "You must have a strong will" and so on. It's a little awkward, because the omnis are usually quite self-deprecating about their meat eating. Usually, I'm at a loss for how to respond, other than "Thanks. I like being vegan a lot."

I don't know why - I make it a point to never push my views on anyone or criticize someone else's dietary choices. Perhaps, deep-down, the omnis know eating meat is wrong and their little comments come from their guilt eating away at them?

When people are flat out rude, I will call them out on it or embarrass them. If they're positive, I say things like "It's really not hard. Once I cut out meat, lost weight, my chronic stomach issues went away, and I got more energy, it was very easy to stick with it. I love it, I have nothing negative to say about the vegetarian lifestyle." And if they start teasing later "Oh yes, there is a downside, the stupid jokes and comments I hear from others."
#14 Old 03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

When people are flat out rude, I will call them out on it or embarrass them. If they're positive, I say things like "It's really not hard. Once I cut out meat, lost weight, my chronic stomach issues went away, and I got more energy, it was very easy to stick with it. I love it, I have nothing negative to say about the vegetarian lifestyle." And if they start teasing later "Oh yes, there is a downside, the stupid jokes and comments I hear from others."

LOL, I love that bit with the one downside, it's 1000000% true.
#15 Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana2022 View Post

LOL, I love that bit with the one downside, it's 1000000% true.

#16 Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 AM

I think being veg*n almost speaks for itself. They know that you look better. They see the outward signs of healthier living. I think they know inside how sluggish they feel- that's the reason for the jokes. I knew how I used to feel compared to how I feel now. But, I do have to say that when I was omni, I admired the vegetarians I met in life. I thought it took such a commitment. I never would have known how easy it was until I just tried.
#17 Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why do we get subjected to really really stupid comments??? I never thought this thing really existed until changing over myself... but it does!

My sister in law just told me, that the reason it took me so long to drive into the city to pick up my husband and come back, was because I don't eat chicken!!! LOL! She was being a smarty pants obviously... but why do people feel the urge to do that? I haven't said anything to her about her eating habits. Yesterday she interogated me (Quite literally in a loud voice) If when she comes to my house, will I cook her a chicken??!

I don't know... this is crazy! lol.

xx J

Guilt.
#18 Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM

I had a friend who started making comments like that last year. When I called her out on it, she said she felt like everyone was picking on her for eating meat. Turns out they watched Food Inc in her sociology class and everyone was badmouthing eating meat. She was lashing out at me for the class, and eventually apologized.

Maybe there is an underlying reason for the comments?
#19 Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanielou View Post

exactly.....for the last few weeks I have had really long days and have been really tired from sleeping maybe 4 hours a night maxx...Friday was My Baby Bros B-day and at his party a friend of his made a comment about how I wouldnt be sooo sleepy if I ate more meat.....and I said I wouldnt be soooo damn sleepy if I wasnt soooo bored by this conversation...LOL

Peace
#20 Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 PM

Omnis: are you getting enough proteins?

Me: Yes, yes I am actually.

I still get that from most people when I tell them that I am a vegetarian and I am tiring quickly....
#21 Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM

The fact remains, that vegetarians, and even more so vegans are still minority in the society. People that eat meat - the majority, don't always understand us, and as it has been with many minorities in history - our existence and reasons are somewhat weird, odd, silly and what not - to them. Some people are so insecure that they will seriously go out of their way to be simply mean. Some, don't understand, that we pay a lot more attention that our diet is full in all the elements human body requires, and amazingly enough for them - not all of the necessary elements are in meat.

Also, a thing that happened to me, was this. I was talking with my mom once, of how much better I feel while being a vegetarian. And then she said to that "I have heard about this girl, who was in a hospital with anorexia... she was so thin and she was still thinking she's fat". I was like..."what that has to do with vegetarianism?"

My mom replied "somehow, when I think of one, the other comes to my mind".

I've always had fast metabolism, and I never had weight problems, before and after I became a vegetarian. Being healthy is very important to me, and it is not like I changed all that much past 6 months, yet my mom felt like having a conversation with me about anorectic girls. In the end it was kind of funny, as I explained to her that I probably know more about well being, and healthy food habits, than any meat-eater around
#22 Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM

If I think they will be hostile, I just say it my religion, that usually freaks them into slience....it's not socially acceptable to comment on that. I can't wait for the change in law that stops veg*ns having to entertain moronic comments. Yeah to veggie rights!!!

I do get more people who feel they need to justify why they eat meat. Like I am going to like them less or something? I think this reflects more on them, and they have the potential to change so I just lead by example

One day peeps will see it is THE way forward!
#23 Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Beginner

I have to say I used to be the insensitive one. I didn't mean to be rude, unkind or judgemental... but, now I know how it feels to be on the other side. I just stay quiet and smile. Going into my 4th week veg, I know I am doing the right thing for ME. What others think does not matter, as they don't pay my rent, bills or for my groceries!
#24 Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

People are insecure or feel guilty. Or both.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#25 Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Most people are aware of the fact that a piece of meat=the death of an animal. They may refuse to admit it, but when a vegetarian comes along and points it out to them, they get a little defensive... Even if we aren't preachy, even if we haven't said ONE judgmental word to them, even if we haven't said one word about not eating meat, the fact that we're vegetarian or vegan already puts them on the defensive. It's calling someone out just by our actions. Just the fact that we individually have decided that meat is unacceptable as food makes them feel uneasy, because deep down they know it has truth..

On a good note, personally, even though this is only week #2 for me, I haven't had anyone make nasty comments...
#26 Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I was asked what colour Vegan poo was.

My question is not why? why the comments? but ..Why oh why no intelligent comments?
#27 Old 05-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post

I was asked what colour Vegan poo was.

My question is not why? why the comments? but ..Why oh why no intelligent comments?

You know, from a medical standpoint, this is actually a very question, lol. You can tell health from the state of the number two. You can find what is lacking in diet or what is too much. The perfect number two is a semi floating S shaped one. My sister is a nurse and I have uncles who are doctors, and sometimes the conversation can be a little bizarre when they all get together, ha ha. Meh.
#28 Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

^I got perfect poo! (and it don't stink like it used to, either!)

I still have the same people, when they're by themselves, tell me that people need some animal protein. Vegan isn't a healthy diet! Now-- I've dropped 25 lbs. over nine months, my skin is clear, my hair is great, I obviously have more energy, my eyes are clear, and I'm like the only one in my dept. who hasn't been sick! They never came back with anything to back their claims either, while i do, right on the spot.

When I was vegetarian, and still ate dairy and eggs, people were okay, being vegan must creep them out. I was proud of myself the last time I got asked why I went so far. I told her I don't think it's right to breed animals in ways that inhibits their ability to live freely, and causes suffering; to artificiallty inseminate them so they constantly breed, then tear the babies away. To enslave them in cages so they can't move. To cut off body parts and make them suffer. To keep them from food during their last days, then transport them to slaughterhouses in extreme cold, or extreme heat, so overcrowded they break limbs and get infections, or freeze together and to the metal walls. Then they are mercilessly killed, without any regulations to oversee it. Because I oppose all that, I am vegan. I guess you're okay with it. And i walked away.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#29 Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

^^Did they just give you a blank stare? LOL...start crying?...anything?? Awesome though!
#30 Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post

^^Did they just give you a blank stare? LOL...start crying?...anything?? Awesome though!

It just happened. I only talk about when asked, but I notice people will almost randomly bring up the "you need some animal products", and it's always when they're alone. It must be a defensive reaction. This women used to tell people she is a vegetarian--except for the pepperoni pizza she orders on fridays!

I've also related it to why people who believe abortion is murder shouldn't get one, and Catholic priests should remain celibate, and tea partiers shouldn't accept medicare or social security-- I try and personalize it.

I used to just say "don't get me started", but they didn't listen...

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page