can i eat this? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 PM

hi, i have been a vegetarian for about 6 months now and i have enjoyed it so far. the only problem is not knowing what i can actually buy for a treat at the corner shop or super market.

so far i know the only way to be sure is to read the ingredients to each packet. but even if i do i might not notice somthing small.

there are much more experienced vegetarians than me here, so can people please just post things i can have and also things i should diffenatly avoid IE i know mars bars are vegetarian. but twixes arent.

i think it will just be much easier for a list or thread that tells you straight and can be easily referred to.

so using your knowlege what big brands are good and what ones shoulg be avoided. it will make life a lot easier

[edit] since everyones been asking.

yeah i live in kent south east UK. i live with my family who are all omnis and its hard to make my own snacks since i cant find time to make them.

i just wanted to know snacks i can buy for when im out with my freinds and miles away from home kind of thing. (there all omnis too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Just to clarify, are you after just treats like chocolates and sweets, or general snack foods.

Interesting that Twixes aren't veggie. I know they were caught up in the rennet-controversy in 2007, but didn't realise that Mars can't give a definite answer. I avoid Mars products due to their animal testing stance.

Where do you live? That may help us VB'ers reccommend you stuff, as there is no point me giving you ideas for stuff that may only be available in the UK...
#3 Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Just to clarify, are you after just treats like chocolates and sweets, or general snack foods.

Interesting that Twixes aren't veggie. I know they were caught up in the rennet-controversy in 2007, but didn't realise that Mars can't give a definite answer. I avoid Mars products due to their animal testing stance.

Where do you live? That may help us VB'ers reccommend you stuff, as there is no point me giving you ideas for stuff that may only be available in the UK...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Don't forget you can also make yourself a heap of different yummy snacks, and that way you will definitely know what is in it.

Just look up "vegetarian snacks" on the web and you'll find WAY too many to choose from.

Here is an example of a choc-chip cookie that I just found using that term on the internet: http://www.ivu.org/recipes/northam/chocolate.html

~ Charlotte
#5 Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Twixes, Bounty, Nutella, Celebrations, Ferrero Rocher, Kinder "Happy Hippos", Lilt, Orange Fanta and Orange Tic Tacs are not vegetarian

Do you live in the UK, vegiecookie? If so I can give you more details about what to look for.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#6 Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

yeah- let us know where you are cos ingreidnets and product availability is a regional thing. i think you are from the UK, and can move your thread to the UK area where all the british chocolate experts are, if you want?
#7 Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Wait... so are Mars vegetarian or not? I don't eat them anyway cos I don't like them, but my veggie housemate and his girlfriend both love them and told me they were veggie.
#8 Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Molfie - MOST Mars products are vegetarian, excluding Twix, Bounty and Celebrations. Mars bars, Galaxy, Minstrels are all vegetarian.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#9 Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Molfie - MOST Mars products are vegetarian, excluding Twix, Bounty and Celebrations. Mars bars, Galaxy, Minstrels are all vegetarian.

So is the whey powder they list on their ingredients for Galaxy, etc. suitable for vegetarians? I was in Sainsbury's the other day and noticed the whey powder. I didn't buy it just in case it wasn't suitable, even though the packet does say 'suitable for vegetarians'. I love me some Galaxy!
#10 Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM

according to the mars co, theres no rennet used in making twixes [within the uk]. maltezers, mars bars, snickers, revels & galaxy are apparently all safe for vegetarians too. confusion seems to remain about their suitability due to a period a couple of years ago when they began to use rennet but when the british public complained about it they removed it.
#11 Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapt View Post

according to the mars co, theres no rennet used in making twixes [within the uk]. maltezers, mars bars, snickers, revels & galaxy are apparently all safe for vegetarians too. confusion seems to remain about their suitability due to a period a couple of years ago when they began to use rennet but when the british public complained about it they removed it.

Ah, okay =) I read about them including it, but never read about them removing it again. Ahh, yay, I can eat Galaxy again!
#12 Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Twixes, Bounty, Nutella, Celebrations, Ferrero Rocher, Kinder "Happy Hippos", Lilt, Orange Fanta and Orange Tic Tacs are not vegetarian

Do you live in the UK, vegiecookie? If so I can give you more details about what to look for.

WAIT. ferrero rocher and nutella are not vegetarian???? why??? D:
#13 Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Why are Twix and Nutella not vegetarian? I looked up their ingredients on the Internet and found nothing? Not vegan, of course, but they look vegetarian to me.

EDIT: I also looked up Tic Tacs, and their website says they are vegan (contain no animal by products whatsoever). Are you confusing vegetarian with cruelty-free (non-animal tested)?
#14 Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Why are Twix and Nutella not vegetarian? I looked up their ingredients on the Internet and found nothing? Not vegan, of course, but they look vegetarian to me.

EDIT: I also looked up Tic Tacs, and their website says they are vegan (contain no animal by products whatsoever). Are you confusing vegetarian with cruelty-free (non-animal tested)?

Twix and Nutella contain non-vegetarian whey powder.

ORANGE Tic-tacs (as I satated before) contain cochineal (made from beetles). This is not veg*n, however REGULAR Tic-tacs don't contain this. I'm not confusing anything.

I used to be able to look up what was veggie or not on the Mars website, which used to state that Twix and Bounty were not vegetarian. They've now changed the website, however, and I can't find the page. If anyone has a better link please post it.

But - Mars uses cage eggs in Mars bars.

#15 Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 AM

yes please. ^^
#16 Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Twix and Nutella contain non-vegetarian whey powder.

ORANGE Tic-tacs (as I satated before) contain cochineal (made from beetles). This is not veg*n, however REGULAR Tic-tacs don't contain this. I'm not confusing anything.

I used to be able to look up what was veggie or not on the Mars website, which used to state that Twix and Bounty were not vegetarian. They've now changed the website, however, and I can't find the page. If anyone has a better link please post it.

But - Mars uses cage eggs in Mars bars.

Is it that the whey powder is made from a process where animal rennet is used? I guess that makes sense.

Though, IMHO, if someone is going cares enough to research all these tiny little things, they should probably just go vegan. (Not directed at you, as I believe you are a vegan, but a general statement)
#17 Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What is Nutella makes it not vegetarian? I just looked at the ingrediant list and it looks fine to me... http://www.nutellausa.com/ingredients.htm

Same with Twix and Orange Fanta.

Nevermind.... I didn't read the whole thread. I honestly don't look up the sources of all whey powder in the foods I eat. If I was that concerned I would go vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page