Is "Chicken Flavour" actually from Chickens ... :S - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Since deciding to go Vegetarian, I have been put off even animal "flavoured" products ie: Chicken Crisps, Chicken spices and so on.... but the question that I really want to know is:

When they say "Natural Chicken Falvours" or the like... is that actually from a live chicken?

I'm sorry if that sounds so ridiculously stupid, but I really don't know. My daughter used to have chicken salt on her chips and today I nearly put it on and then refused her because I don't know what's in it... even if it's just a fake flavour, I'm uncomfortable with her liking the idea of eating a chicken (or other animal) now, (even though she's little and fully agrees it's awful!) but don't want to force into too much as she's only little and will make her own decisions one day and hopefully without thinking that Mum will hate her for any decision she makes that different to my own!! lol... sounds crazy and it prob is.

Thanks, any help is welcome

xx J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

If it's natural chicken flavors then it comes from (what used to be) a live chicken.

Things like "poultry seasoning" however, are just herbs that people tend to put on poultry.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Okay, thanks.

Do you think other people have the problem of eating a flavour that tastes like an animal flavour? or am I just going nuts now?????

xx J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't want anything to taste like chicken. There are "chicken looking" meat substitutes our there, but we all know they don't actually taste like chicken and I for one don't want them to.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Give me something that tastes just like the real thing, and I'll be one happy vegetarian.
#6 Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

When I first became a vegetarian, I tried the veggie bologna or something along those lines, and it tasted just like 'actual' salami. It really put me off because I didn't not want anything to taste just like actual flesh. I still don't, 10 1/2 years later. So no, you aren't the only one that feels that way! Hahah.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#7 Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

When I first became a vegetarian, I tried the veggie bologna or something along those lines, and it tasted just like 'actual' salami. It really put me off because I didn't not want anything to taste just like actual flesh. I still don't, 10 1/2 years later. So no, you aren't the only one that feels that way! Hahah.

Oh yay! I'm not crazy!! lol!

xx Jenni
#8 Old 02-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

RC's answer is helpful. That was a good question.

Are you from Canada or somewhere in Europe? I noticed the "u" in your spelling of "flavour"
#9 Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe Australia

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#10 Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Yep, all the way from down under!

Australia's pretty positive about promoting freash fruit and Veg , but there's still this idea that you should have a kilo of steak on your plate most nights of the week... barbeques and beer are a pretty big thing here. I just didn't realise that even seasoning's could be an animal product!

Thanks for all the answers guys

xx J
#11 Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Check the ingredients on the packaging if you're not sure. Usually, it'll say something like chicken broth if that's what it is.

--Fromper

#12 Old 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Yay! Another Aussie I have gotten used to spelling the US way just so the yanks can understand my language

Back to the topic.. This is going to be a split vote between vegetarians who despise anything to do with eating meat, and vegetarians who miss the taste of meat. I for one, don't miss the taste of meat.

~ Charlotte
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteConley View Post

Yay! Another Aussie I have gotten used to spelling the US way just so the yanks can understand my language

Back to the topic.. This is going to be a split vote between vegetarians who despise anything to do with eating meat, and vegetarians who miss the taste of meat. I for one, don't miss the taste of meat.

~ Charlotte

It's funny you said that because when I spell "realise" I get this overwhelming urge to put a "Z" in it! he he he.

I don't miss the taste either, I didn't think that would have been the case, but there it is! lol.

xx J
#14 Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 PM

the only time you can trust that chicken flavour is not animal derived is when the ingredient list states "artificial chicken flavour".
#15 Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 PM

^^ and by that point...what are you really eating, anyway?

I don't miss the flavor of meat too often (except when advertising devils get to me), but I do miss the texture. Tofurky sausage just isn't the same as Italian sausage...but it's not a big deal.
#16 Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiequest View Post

^^ and by that point...what are you really eating, anyway?

erm, a bunch of non animally type herbs & spices that when combined, end up tasting a little bit chickeny. who knew !!
#17 Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 PM

hiii..i m having the same problem..i am searching the answer of same question abt non veg flavors from a long tym...i m a veggie since 7 years and i dont have any problem in eating any taste but only the condition is that there shouldnt be the real non veg ingredient..

#18 Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Vishna Bist and welcome to VeggieBoards. :up:

In the UK, the words 'flavoured' and 'flavour' have very different meanings - for example, chicken flavoured derives its flavour only from a real chicken, but chicken flavour  is synthetically flavoured chicken

Of course these definitions may not apply outside the Uk.

Lv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page