"Earthlings" ... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM

Okay, I just watched "Earthlings" ... How can Human's be so selfish and cold?

I always asked this question about ourselves as a human race and what we do to other races, but I never completely considered what we do to the other Occupants of this planet... and when you try to talk to people about this issue there's such a lack of compassion and no urge for further understanding. As someone who's been an omnivore my whole life, I don't believe I've ever argued the point that eating an animal was "correct"! I thought it was necesary for our health, but wished there was a better way - only to realise now that there is a better way!!

The next time a family member or outsider questions my change to vegetarian, I'm definitely referring them to this movie

Sorry, I probably sound cranky,but I'm not, Just hurt... how could I have been so happy to be blind too? Why aren't we educated about these issues?

Is this what our governments have trained us to be? Cold, ignorant and selfish? What kind of world do we live in where that is acceptable?

Anyway... just thoughts of the day ...

xx J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I honestly still haven't watched it. Watching meet your meat was hard enough, and that was only 12 minutes long. This is an hour I believe. I will watch it one day....just not sure when. I know exactly how you feel though, and that whole "a-ha" moment is very real too, when you "get" it. Unfortunately, like we used to be blind, others are still blind around us too.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#3 Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

type "earthlings" into the search box, you'll be amazed at what pops up...

A lot of other people share your feelings about the movie. It's hard to watch, and it really makes people want to learn more, and find others to share with. That's why there are about a thousand threads about it already...

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Wow WonderRandy! There are a lot of threads about it already! lol! Now mine's been added too, he he.

It is about 95 mins long Jess... very painful to see and extremely sad... I had flashes before I went to bed about what I saw in that video, and when I watched my children sleep... I thought about how I would feel as a being who feels, and has there babies, family and life taken from them in such an awful way

I don't regret watching it though, it confirmed all I ever denied and blissfully sent to the back of my mind.

It's a very powerful film.

xx J
#5 Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I know how you feel. It makes you so ANGRY that it's allowed to go on and that no one seems to care. I tried going vegan several times, and it wasn't until I saw this film that I made the switch for good.
#6 Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Hey there,

It's funny, it was hard for me to even think about wanting to drink cows milk or have an egg as soon as I realised what we do to those poor animals. It's really stealing everything they have away from them isn't it?!

I only saw "Meet your Meat" last week and "Earthlings" this week. I feel that I had made a solid decision before seeing those films, but needed to know what was actually going on... now that I've seen it... I could never be an omnivore/carnivore again.

I think I read your comment in the other earthlings post, about the Kosher Cow... that thought makes me dizzy.

xx J
#7 Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I saw that movie... I still find the PETA Chinese Fur Farm video to be the worste of what i've seen, but Earthlings was really bad as well.
#8 Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Beginner

Earthlings is what sealed it for me. I was already experimenting with a vegan diet, but I knew I couldn't go back after I watched it. Instead, it made me decide to go totally vegan (or at least as vegan as practical).

Here's a link to it online for free if anyone wants to see it and hasn't:

http://freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=119
#9 Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantsPlease View Post

Earthlings is what sealed it for me. I was already experimenting with a vegan diet, but I knew I couldn't go back after I watched it. Instead, it made me decide to go totally vegan (or at least as vegan as practical).

Here's a link to it online for free if anyone wants to see it and hasn't:

http://freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=119

Thanks for putting the link in there, that was a good idea

xx J
#10 Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post

Yeah, I saw that movie... I still find the PETA Chinese Fur Farm video to be the worste of what i've seen, but Earthlings was really bad as well.

Ok the fur and leather parts in Earthlings was horrible and I was just so sad and infuriated by this. I just went and looked up the Peta one, I really, really don't think I can watch that one. Just reading the synopsis brought tears to my eyes.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#11 Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Beginner

Yeah, some things you wanna see with your own eyes, ya see them, then ya wish you hadn't. I would pass on it... it won't do you any good to watch, just upset you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiNiceVegan View Post

Ok the fur and leather parts in Earthlings was horrible and I was just so sad and infuriated by this. I just went and looked up the Peta one, I really, really don't think I can watch that one. Just reading the synopsis brought tears to my eyes.

#12 Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiNiceVegan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post

Yeah, some things you wanna see with your own eyes, ya see them, then ya wish you hadn't. I would pass on it... it won't do you any good to watch, just upset you.

I don't know if I can see that one, the description was awfully sad ... "Earthlings" may have been enough for me

xx J
#13 Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 AM

"Earthlings" is what got me serious about going vegetarian. I cried the entire time I watched it. I am an animal lover, and I have a few pets, and just thinking about the suffering happening to the animals in the movie just drained me. I think if I ever feel the desire to eat meat again, I will watch it again. It could take the craving for a burger right out of even the biggest meat lover.
#14 Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by childofthesea View Post

It could take the craving for a burger right out of even the biggest meat lover.

I think this of most people too.

I can't look at meat foods now and not feel sad

xx J
#15 Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I honestly still haven't watched it. Watching meet your meat was hard enough, and that was only 12 minutes long. This is an hour I believe. I will watch it one day....just not sure when. I know exactly how you feel though, and that whole "a-ha" moment is very real too, when you "get" it. Unfortunately, like we used to be blind, others are still blind around us too.

me either...I have been veggie 20 years and I am sure that I will watch it someday just havent yet.
#16 Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Beginner

I watched half of it like 2 years ago. I couldn't finish it...it was so terrible. I had my mom watch it....she watched like 30 minutes of it. It didn't seem to bother her at all. It bothers me so much that someone can watch that and not even be somewhat bothered by it. She actually seemed kind of bored ....
#17 Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkid87 View Post

I watched half of it like 2 years ago. I couldn't finish it...it was so terrible. I had my mom watch it....she watched like 30 minutes of it. It didn't seem to bother her at all. It bothers me so much that someone can watch that and not even be somewhat bothered by it. She actually seemed kind of bored ....

It's scary how little some people can empathize with the suffering of others. My husband and I both cried repeatedly and definitely had to look away at some parts. But we're glad we watched. We weren't sure how committed we were to certain aspects of veganism but the film made it very, very real for us and I think (and I hope) impossible for us to turn back.
#18 Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkid87 View Post

It sounds awful to say, but my granny would most likely be the same... I give her half an exception though, she grew up on a remote island and the food they ate what was they caught and what they grew.. she loves animals, but still has that "need meat to survive" mentality. I wouldn't say she's a cold person, she just puts other things as a priority and is too over life to look for new options ... god, that makes her own life seem rather deppressing doesn't it! lol.

At least the video had an effect on you .. an me. Maybe I'll copy it for my mum... she loves cows, has a cow collection... but is a meat eater :S ... I wonder where she thinks her dinners are coming from????

xx J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page