Is Whole-Grain Flour the correct flour for Vegan's and Vegetarians? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2010, 06:02 PM

I just wanted to ask a quick question here:

Is Whole-Grain Flour the correct flour for Vegan's and Vegetarians?

I just read somewhere that some white flours (and pizza bread flours) have duck and hair used in them!!! Has anyone else heard this before??

Thanks

xx J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

If you buy flour at the store, that's all that should be in the package. Read the ingredients and the nutrition label. As for pizza joints, each one may be different.

That said, there is no 'correct' flour for vegans and vegetarians. All of us don't even eat grains. You choose what you eat.
#3 Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never heard that before. I mainly use white flour, because the BF can sniff out even the most minute trace of healthiness, and will refuse to eat it.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

L-cysteine in used in some commercial dough conditioners for packaged breads. Flours are not affected.

There are other things used for dough conditioners. Whey, lactose and I think even eggs can be in packaged breads.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ what they've already said. Of course there are more nutrients like the bran in whole wheat or whole grains, so yes, it's better for you and your family. White flour has been greatly processed, therefore requiring the B viatmins, and extras to be added back in, thus "fortified". you'll get more fiber from your whole grain flours too. I try to bake or cook with them as much as possible.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#6 Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Ok, thanks for that I think Whole Grain will be the better option now.

I have another question here too... what is the difference between Nutritional Yeast and Dry Yeast? Is Nutritional Inactive? I was going to make Vegan Pesto, but only have dry yeast and don't want to stuff it all up! lol! May look for the N.Yeast tomorrow... patience, lol.

xx Jenni
#7 Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Nutritional Yeast, Active Yeast, and Brewers Yeast are all different and not interchangeable. You usually have to go to a health food store for nutritional yeast. Red Star is the most common brand.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post

Ok, thanks for that I think Whole Grain will be the better option now.

I have another question here too... what is the difference between Nutritional Yeast and Dry Yeast? Is Nutritional Inactive? I was going to make Vegan Pesto, but only have dry yeast and don't want to stuff it all up! lol! May look for the N.Yeast tomorrow... patience, lol.

xx Jenni

Don't eat Active Dry Yeast or any other sort of yeast used in baking. It's a live yeast organism that can take up residence in your gut and cause all kinds of trouble if you eat it without baking it first, and it really isn't any good for flavoring anything anyway. It's just good for making doughs rise.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Jenni, if you are into making your own breads, then check out this book. this is the second in their series together...http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/ The blog is fantastic.

I like making my own breads, because there are no preservatives, I choose recipes that don't have eggs in them, and you know how old the bread is. You may want to start out with their original book first, but their healthy bread in 5 is excellent too!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#10 Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 AM

wow, good tip on not eating the active yeast and making everyone sick! lol!.. glad I didn't make the pesto today :S

Thanks Photojess! That site looked great and it had so many tips for bread making and problems, I was kinda wondering what you were talking about in your post when you said " ... bread in 5 ..."! lol. Now I know what that means.

I've never made my own bread loafs, but I love making pizza dough, or making pasta sheets, or Gozleme - without the cheese now I have such a huge list of books that people have posted here and wish I could get them ll right away, it's very frustrating! lol!

Thanks again everyone.

xx J
#11 Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Jenni, a good way to get books is make a wishlist on Amazon, and whenever it's time for a pressie, get someone to buy it for you. I cheat - I write reviews for a shipping site and they pay me in Amazon vouchers! I have about £40 so far which I'm trying to make £100, then I can buy some of the books in my wishlist. We also have Bookmooch, which I think is international. Basically, you gift a book to someone who is requesting it, then you earn a point, and you can use that point to ask for a book you want.

I have hundreds of books, so I've had to stop myself buying more - although I couldn't resit the Vegan Cook's Bible which I bought in the store yesterday! What a book! x

Editted to add: Why does cheat appear twice? I tried to edit and it's only there once - I've noticed that on loads of other peoples posts too! Rabid_Child = it's on yours with the word store!
#12 Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I only see it once. Megan (Rabid Child) recommmends half.com, and I finally just went there to check prices....both of those bread books were cheaper than amazon...aggrevating, when I should be getting 3 cookbooks in the mail today! I didn't check shipping on their site. Millie, I was wondering how you were getting vouchers. That's awesome to be paid that way!

#13 Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Getting vouchers for books by writting reviews! that's a good idea. I used to do surveys occasionaly and it would add up to coles vouchers (shopping centre) here in Sydney.

I went to the library today and borrowed two books that are not any of the books that have been recommended to me... library's can be frustrating sometimes :S ... they're both cookbooks: "Vegetable Heaven" and "How it all Vegan" ... so, I'm looking forward to some interesting meals!

I haven't noticed the double words in posts really, but i have noticed that instead of an A in the typing Vegan ... it will have an @ sign instead or alot of people... is that on purpose?

xx J
#14 Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen any at signs either...it's the forum gremlins at it I suppose!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page