Hi, I'm new and confused! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome -- sorry if I'm repeating anything... a lot going on in here

WRT dairy... check out The China Study (book) by T Colin Campbell. He explains about how calcium from plants is more usable by our bodies than calcium from animal products. Basically, as you seem to be on to a bit with the pH thing, when you consume dairy, it makes your body more acidic, and your body needs to neutralize that to maintain balance, so it leeches the calcium from your bones to neutralize some of the acid, so when you're using dairy for calcium you need a much higher calcium intake to compensate for the loss each time you consume it! However, I don't know how this translates into actual calcium needs on a vegan diet, especially when pregnant, so a calcium supplement probably wouldn't go amiss while you work out the details.

In lieu of eating sea life -- check out Udo's oil for a balanced fatty acid supplement. They also have DHA blends. Good for brain development! Hemp milk is also popular for kids in lieu of cow's milk because of it's high omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, soy free, and can be purchased unsweetened as well (a lot of plant milks are really high in sugar!).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, what a twisty road this thread has been! 3Beans, welcome! !

Photojess and I joined around the same time if memory serves and I remember reading her intro thread (which also became extremely long!). It was kind of an inspiration because of the way she transitioned from flexitarian to veg*n within the space of a couple of days - she was really open minded and all the members jumped right in to help.

Anyway, with the obvious exception of the spat on page 3, this thread has been a lot like that too, and I have enjoyed reading it. If only we did have a "like" button!

So I'm glad you're here and I'm glad you didn't get scared off. It sounds like you're on a totally new journey. I don't think I have any dietary advice that hasn't already been mentioned, but I will suggest you read The China Study (sorry if already mentioned!) and maybe (if you're not too squeamish) watch the documentary "Earthlings" which will make you cry but also cement your resolve.

Good luck to you and your family! And congrats on the impending new addition to the family!
#33 Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 PM

Thank You Soilman, Rabid_child and a7dk!

So another book for me to have a look for! lol. The China Study sounds extremely interesting!!

Also, I am attempting to make Tahini, Vegan Pesto and Hummus today, I love all three but have never made them myself, can't wait! This site has been so inspirational, I really love it here

I'll def watch the "Earthlings" documentary too, even though they are sad to see, I would like a reference to point others to and think there is stil so much I can learn from what realy goes on

Thanks for all your welcomes!!

xx J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

You can buy tahini already made. Grinding it in a food processor is a bit of a strain on the processor. You can do it, no problem, but if you are doing it alot, it is better go get a commercial nut-seed grinder especially designed for making nut butters.

Unfortunately, I can't find blanched almond butter in the US, only in Europe. So you would have to grind your own if you are in the US. Commercial almond milk is overpriced for watered down almond milk, thickened with caragheenan. It is easy to make your own in a blender. Mix blanched almonds with water, buz for about 3 minutes. If you want you can strain out any tiny nut particles that remain with cheese cloth but I think that is a total waste of time.
#35 Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM

My Partner is interested in trying/making Almond milk.... we bought almond meal, but hasn't made it yet.

I made the Tahini yesterday, I have way too much left over! I only needed it to make the hummus, which turned out great! I'm using a blender... it does the job, but I get the feeling it won't last long crushing all those nuts and chickpeas! I'll check out some nut grinders.. thanks for the tip

xx J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page