this is why you don't need to "worry" about your protein intake: - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Written by Dr Bethany Klug, DO in 2008: http://www.thedoctorcooks.com/

Ask the Right Question About Protein (summertime red beans and rice)

This article originally appeared in the Kansas City Wellness Magazine.

"While preparing this article, I realized that my last article stated as fact something that is truly unclear at this time. We do really don’t know how much protein a human being needs. Different sources quote different amounts, which have been steadily lowered since Recommended Daily Allowances were established early last century. A common value these days is 0.23 grams per pound (0.5 grams per kilogram) of body weight for most people and 0.34 grams per pound (0.75 grams per kilogram) of body weight for athletes. Other sources say more, others less, and many studies are inconclusive. I hope you learned from my last article that plant foods are valuable protein sources with far more health benefits than animal protein sources. Also, it’s easy to get too much protein by eating usual amounts of animal foods and miss the protection plant foods offer.

I think the focus on protein is misplaced. We are asking the wrong question. Why? Our body doesn’t use protein to make protein. It uses amino acids to make protein. Our body makes amino acids from carbohydrates and other amino acids, except for eight to ten so called “essential” amino acids that we must get from food. It was once thought that we needed to eat animal foods because they contain all of the essential amino acids in adequate quantity. We now understand that our essential amino acid needs are well met by eating a variety of plant foods. This has been the position of the American Dietetics Association since at least 1988. In one study where the participants ate only corn, all the amino acid needs were met except one, and 91% of its requirement was met. In another study where the participants ate only rice, amino acid needs not only were met but were 1.5 – 4.5 times the requirement.

So complicated food combining regimens described by Frances Moore Lappe in her seminal book Diet for a Small Planet are not necessary. She later stated "In combating the myth that meat is the only way to get high quality protein, I reinforced another myth. I gave the impression that in order to get enough protein without meat, considerable care was needed in choosing foods. Actually it is much easier than I thought."

Even “high quality” protein becomes a myth when we realize that what we really need are amino acids. “High quality” was once used to describe a food that provided all of the essential amino acids in adequate quantity. “Low quality” described a food that did not. These terms are outdated.

So don’t worry about protein. Instead eat a variety of whole, unprocessed foods, mostly from plants and let your body do the rest. Make organically grown foods from local sources your first choice.

Here’s a recipe to add to your repertoire on non-meat main dishes. It’s my take on a well known health food salad and a family favorite come summer. This recipe calls for aduki or adzuki beans. You’ll find these small red beans at your local health food store. They originate in Japan where they valued for their medicinal properties. Known as a natural diuretic, they are beneficial to those with high blood pressure. They also fortify the kidneys and bladder, helping those with frequent infections or other problems in these areas. Rich in fiber, they help lower cholesterol and promote bowel regularity. Aduki beans do not require soaking. However, if beans give you gas, soak them first. Always throw out the soaking water and cook beans with fresh water."

so even a diet of just rice alone, will give you all of the amino acids you need! the recipe can be found in the link, I just didn't post it here....

I'd like to strongly encourage you to take a look at her site, she has some really nice, medically based articles to read back through, and she is a vegetarian DO.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, I get plenty of amino acids from sweet fruits and greens.
#3 Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

mmm, just made escarole greens tonight for dinner with Morrocan bean stew!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for posting this Photojess.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 01-02-2010, 07:36 PM

nice post!
#6 Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

welcome Danner!

#7 Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Good to know, thanks for the post
#8 Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the post, Jess! Maybe I should show it to my mother-in-law, who gave me and my husband vitamins for Christmas because our "inadequate diets" don't provide proper immune function, and we obviously don't get enough protein! (I didn't ask how multivitamins were supposed to address the protein issue!)
#9 Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

Thanks for the post, Jess! Maybe I should show it to my mother-in-law, who gave me and my husband vitamins for Christmas because our "inadequate diets" don't provide proper immune function, and we obviously don't get enough protein! (I didn't ask how multivitamins were supposed to address the protein issue!)

Seriously? She gave you vitamins? WTF?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#10 Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Seriously? She gave you vitamins? WTF?

2 huge bottles of Centrum! I mean, her heart's in the right place, she seriously thinks we need them, I guess! And they're expensive, so we don't buy them...so she was trying to make sure we're healthy. It's weird, though!
#11 Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

wow....vitamins are supposed to help with your protein intake huh???? My sister is the same way though. The main questions she asked were about how I'd get enough protein and iron

#12 Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I get a lot of questions about calcium too, since I don't drink cow's milk. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain that cows get the calcium from the grass and we can get it from greens just like they do. It's not just magically in the milk, especially now when most cows don't even eat grass and the milk is fortified. Geez. No amount of "rice milk is fortified just like cow's milk" will convince the naysayers!
#13 Old 01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a post in the general health forum right now about getting enough calcium, as I want to decrease my consumption.....cheese and yogurt mainly.

#14 Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Protein and calcium are the 2 biggest questions I get. Which is funny because we aren't even vegan. We don't depend on dairy for calcium but it's not like anyone would really know that. Nutrition questions are always funny to me.

Great article!

Nikki

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page