VeggieBoards banner

if you eat vegan but still use non food animal products are you considered vegitarian

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Stephiewil 
#1 ·
I have been considering eating vegan because I am concerned about my health. I have high cholesterol and prediabetes and my blood pressure is creeping up and I have over a hundred and twenty pounds to lose. My husband is right behind me in developing obesity and health issues. We have eaten vegan before and I am really interested in getting back to it. I think he is on board too.

I am aware of the cruel practices toward animals and I do care about that but have to be honest that my health is my major factor in this eating decision. I am not interested at this point in attempting to remove all animal products from my life. I may be at some point, but right now I need to concentrate on changing my health and learning to eat in a healthy manner.

I have read over and over that to be vegan you have to eliminate all animal products from your diet and life, ie watching vitamins for any traces and so on and honestly I am not up to that much scrutiny at this point both financially and emotionally. I just want to get and stay healthy .

Where will this leave me in the vegan/ vegetarian world and can I be a part of this forum if I still use animal products in my clothing and shoes ??

#2 ·
Yes. You are still a vegetarian. Best thing however is not to get caught up on all the labels. Do what you think is best for both you and the animals. If you want help in finding animal free clothing/shoe alternatives, there are plenty of resources all over this board!

Good luck to you!

#4 ·
The minimum requirement here is that you eat no animal flesh (including fish), so of course you are welcome here

We have plenty of every kind of vegetarian, including people such as yourself who eat a vegan diet but use animal products in other areas of their life. The most accurate description for you is strict vegetarian. There is also dietary vegan but that's not too popular as a label because veganism is about a lifestyle, not a diet. For brevity's sake I would call myself "a vegetarian who eats no eggs, dairy or honey" since that covers everything you'll be offered in a restaurant that is non-vegan.

You might find that, like me, the more you hang around this place the more your eyes will open to the ethical side of veganism and you might take the plunge and become vegan. Whatever you decide, I guarantee there will be other people at the same stage as you. So if you need advice or support we will do all we can to help.

#5 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the answers. I am sure in time I will have the energy to concentrate on other aspects of the vegan / vegetarian lifestyle, but for now, I just want to be healthy. I know I have to do something now and know it is the best way to eat for my body. I have not felt comfortable eating meat for a while and want to get back to the vegetarian lifesyle I had years ago.

#8 ·
I was thinking that myself, I am eating a vegan diet but not living the complete vegan lifestyle. I will watch the ingrediants in stuff and will finish the suppliments we have, but when we buy new will not buy any that have animal products in them and honestly most of the ones we have don't, iif not all of them. I do not want to throw away shoes that have leather on them or any leather garments, but may consider not buying them in the future. As I commented before, I am most concerned with my health at this point but want to get to the point where I can put more energy into watching everything I do. I am concerned with the animal cruelty and at one time we were vegan all the way but slowly found oursleves back to eating a normal unhealthy diet and it has not set right for a long time. I am very ready to give up all animal products in our diet and I am hoping my husband will follow my lead. In time the rest will follow .

I am so glad to have found this site, back in the early 90's when we started our vegan lifestyle, having a place like this would have helped us to stay on track. I look forward to reading and learning and getting to know everyone here. I sure appreciate all the kind repsonses. Thanks again !!

#10 ·
"Strict Vegetarian" is the generally accepted terminology for someone who eats a vegan diet, but who doesn't apply the vegan philosophy to other areas in their life.

"Dietary Vegan" is also used frequently, but many vegans object to the term, as it minimizes the effort of "real" vegans.

Do what works for you, and don't worry about the rest.

#13 ·
I will take the advice you are giving and I will not worry about labels and I will not worry about it but just make the best food decisions I can make and let it go. Dietary vegan was what I was thinking, but I would never want to offend anyone and I am fine with just saying I eat vegan , or I am a strict vegetarian if someone asks. Like you said, labels are not the most important thing , making the right choices is the important thing !! I just have to be clear on what I can eat when necessary and make sure the person understands that . I guess it is easy to get hung up on a name or label, but I am going to let it go for now !!

Thanks !!

#15 ·
Thanks Fyvel, that is a great way to put it !! Most people do not know what vegan is anyway and many people think vegetarian is eating chicken or fish and I have had people actually ask that years ago. Just stating I eat a plant based diet or no animal products makes it very clear, that is what I will do, thanks !!

#16 ·
When I tried veg*n years back it was obsessing about ingrediants that really screwed it for me. This time I stayed on track with learning new ways to cook, and new foods to try. The more I learn, the less I buy things with dairy, eggs or animal by products.

Just do what's best for laying a good foundation.

#17 ·
Thanks silva , That is how I am looking at it too. I am concerned with eating right for my health and that is my main focus right now, so by chosing the right foods based on eating a veggie based diet , I can stay on track easily. I want to learn new recipes and keep it from getting boring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.