about to take the jump.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Hi gang. I'm going to make the switch here soon, i'm a bit confused on what i can eat. I think the category i'm going to go in for the first while is ovo-lacto-vegetarian. Do i have it correct that this would mainly mean i'm cutting out the meat, but i'd still eat things like cheese / milk / eggs? I think i can cut away the eggs easily, but milk (primarily yogurt!) is going to be hard. I already drink soy milk. anyway, that's good for now... i'm sure i'll have more questions soon!

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

yes, that's the right term considering the animal products you still wish to eat.

milk and dairy really aren't that hard to cut out of your eating habits. there's soy yogurt as well as coconut milk yogurt. besides, if you're taking the jump for ethical reasons... it's the right thing to do for the animals.

but go at your own pace, and congratulations for thinking of making the transition!
#3 Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

A way to look at it is that an ovo-lacto veg still eats eggs and dairy because technically the animal doesn't have to die to get those things. Meat, gelatin, rennet,... require the animal to be killed and are thus not considered vegetarian on any level.
#5 Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad you're taking the time to educate yourself as you make the switch. My first piece of advice would be to let your values determine your diet, not sematics. Decide what is acceptable and not acceptable for you to eat, and then use the word to define that choice, not the other way around.

With or without eggs and dairy, there is always a way to get everything you need. I still consume them because, in all honesty, it makes it easy to be lazy. Milk and eggs are two of the only items that, in their natural, raw state, contain every nutrient needed to support a life.

You mentioned soy milk, which is fine, but soy is a much more specific type of food from a nutritional perspective. A few added vitamin supplements does not necessarily make it a good "substitute" for milk, though that is how it is often used. Rather than trying to find a simple replacement, I would suggest breaking down your needs one by one. If and when you give up milk, things like protein and calcium are very easy to replace on a vegan diet. The saturated fats you give up are also important, so make sure you find a good source of those as well, such as avocado or coconut.

Also, do some research on vitamin B12. Though it is unlikely to ever become an issue, if you are to ever become strictly vegan you should at least be aware that there is a debate surrounding B12. Even those who are already vegan haven't really come to a universally accepted conclusion.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#6 Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I must admit, the main reason i want to switch is health reasons. I did it for a week about a month ago, just to see if i could do it, and i must admit i felt good. I felt lighter if that makes sence... not on the scale but i just didn't feel like a bag of wet towels! I really detest the idea of meats rotting in my gut...ugh.

I do have ethical reasons as well... i don't think i need to go into detail about that, obvious reasons.

Yogurt would probably be my hardest thing to give up. Cheese i only eat on salads. I do follow a sort of strict diet today where i stay away from sugar's as much as possible. Are there organic sugar free yogurts available?
#7 Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with your new lifestyle.

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Nomad has a good post. I wouldn't worry about what type of veggie you are, or even if other vegetarians consider you to be this or that. Who cares what they think? Just stop eating meat (including fish and chicken) and go from there. I don't know if you've ever stopped drinking sodas, but if so you know how after several weeks you just really like water and don't even crave them anymore? It is a lot like that (at least for me.) Eventually meat won't be tempting and then it won't even be something you'd even consider eating. It can take some time but most veggies I know agree with this. As you get more into it, you'll cut more and more out of your diet (and get healthier!)

In other words, don't get caught up in "I have to stop eating xyz today or the world will end." Cut out meat, then you'll probably naturally start cutting out other stuff without having to really try.
#9 Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacneill View Post

Thanks for the suggestions!

I must admit, the main reason i want to switch is health reasons. I did it for a week about a month ago, just to see if i could do it, and i must admit i felt good. I felt lighter if that makes sence... not on the scale but i just didn't feel like a bag of wet towels! I really detest the idea of meats rotting in my gut...ugh.

I do have ethical reasons as well... i don't think i need to go into detail about that, obvious reasons.

Yogurt would probably be my hardest thing to give up. Cheese i only eat on salads. I do follow a sort of strict diet today where i stay away from sugar's as much as possible. Are there organic sugar free yogurts available?

Good for you, and welcome! If you are concerned about your health, you really must read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, it is GREAT!

I am not here to push anything on you, but I do want to share that yogurt was the hardest thing for me to switch too! My favorite alternatives are Trader Joe's Soy Yogurt, Silk Soy Yogurt, and So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt. No, they do not have sugar free, and most likely any organic yogurt will not be so. I'm pretty sure that Stonyfield has organic non fat, but not sugar free, cow's milk yogurt.
#10 Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Sounds great, thanks gang!

I'm going to get the china study from itunes (audiobook). should be good to kill a few hours of cardio boredom @ the gym

-S
#11 Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are there organic sugar free yogurts available?

Straus Family Creamery is an awesome brand as far as dairy goes, but you may have diffculty finding them at conventional grocery stores. Their website does have a store locator. I know the only place that carries it in Las Vegas is Whole Foods.

http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/

If you can't find that, Stonyfield isn't bad. I think even Walmart has started carrying it. Their plain yogurt is sugar free and the flavored varieties use organic sugar, and I'd take that over sugar substitutes any day.

Both are organic. Straus uses pasture cows as opposed to factory cows. Not 100% sure about Stonyfield's conditions, but I know it's leaps and bounds above most of the brand name alternatives.

If you want to be sure of what you're getting, you may even consider finding a local family farm, getting your milk directly from the source, and learning to make yogurt from it yourself. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#12 Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I also made the switch primarily for health reasons, and was astounded at how much better I felt almost immediately. I ate very healthy to start with, but this change has been wonderful. I am also lacto-ovo, but eat minimal dairy and eggs. Dairy I really only eat as trace ingredients (with the exception of cheese which I limit to 1 time per week, and will probably decrease to 'ingredient status' only very soon), and my egg consumption is limited to probably less than 1 per week.

Best look in finding the balance that works best for you!

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#13 Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck to you!

Soy yogurts are an acquired taste, but I like them. Also as a treat the new coconut yogurts are good, but expensive. I'll buy them on sale every now and then.
#14 Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post

Also as a treat the new coconut yogurts are good, but expensive. I'll buy them on sale every now and then.

It is worth mentioning that coconuts are also a fairly nutrient dense, so the fact that using them can be a bit expensive doesn't necessarily make them an inneficient food to add to your diet as far as your budget is concerned.

How to Make Coconut Yogurt

...Especially if you make it yourself, and be sure not to let anything go to waste :P

#15 Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Excellent, I'm going to look into the yogurt bit for sure!

Today was day #1, and so far it's a breeze. I expect the hard part is yet to come..

I got the audio book for china study, it's great for killing the cardio boredom at the gym. I've listened to the first hour of it, and I'm already freaked out by what I've heard. Cant wait to finish it all!

-S

*edited for spelling
#16 Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 AM

So i found & tried a soy yogurt (yoso brand) that was pretty good as far as sugar. it was just...awful! the search continues hah!
#17 Old 10-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to veggieboards and good luck with the switch!
#18 Old 10-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Milk and eggs are two of the only items that, in their natural, raw state, contain every nutrient needed to support a life.

That's not true for humans.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 AM
Zo

Good luck to your next step!
#20 Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hi gang. I'm going to make the switch here soon, i'm a bit confused on what i can eat. I think the category i'm going to go in for the first while is ovo-lacto-vegetarian. Do i have it correct that this would mainly mean i'm cutting out the meat, but i'd still eat things like cheese / milk / eggs? I think i can cut away the eggs easily, but milk (primarily yogurt!) is going to be hard. I already drink soy milk. anyway, that's good for now... i'm sure i'll have more questions soon!

S

Congratulations on your decision to go vegetarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller View Post

...milk and dairy really aren't that hard to cut out of your eating habits.

That was certainly my experience... but some of the 'cheese' threads around here would indicate that not everyone has such an easy time of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Glad you're taking the time to educate yourself as you make the switch. My first piece of advice would be to let your values determine your diet, not sematics. Decide what is acceptable and not acceptable for you to eat, and then use the word to define that choice, not the other way around.....

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.
#21 Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 AM

Thanks all,

I've had no eggs, it's just the dairy part.. and to be more specific it's mostly yogurt!. The only cheese i tend to eat is when i have greek salad and it's the feta cheese with it. I went to a pizza place this weekend and had a veggie pizza with goat cheese... but that's not often. I can do the soy milk, but the soy yogurt is awful.

i'm almost coming up on 1 week since i cut out the meat, so far so good!
#22 Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Thanks all,

I've had no eggs, it's just the dairy part.. and to be more specific it's mostly yogurt!. The only cheese i tend to eat is when i have greek salad and it's the feta cheese with it. I went to a pizza place this weekend and had a veggie pizza with goat cheese... but that's not often. I can do the soy milk, but the soy yogurt is awful.

i'm almost coming up on 1 week since i cut out the meat, so far so good!

Have you tried yogert made with coconut milk?

They are here with us...Not for us!
#23 Old 10-19-2009, 11:54 AM

I have not, but only because i cant seem to find it. I don't seem to have a whole lot of options where i am for any veg*ism foods... just to find a soy yogurt i had to go to a couple different spots to find it!

I am a bit picky about what i eat though, this has nothing to do with veg*ism... but if it's a high cal / high sugar thing, i probably wont end up even trying it. that's a whole other bag of worms for another forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page