I suck at vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

Hi all... my name is Mihai from Romania and I'm a 17 year old vegetarian wanna be.

This is about my 4th attempt... lol and I always fail at it.

I always feel unsatisfied and I think about food too much.

I want to include fish because it's very difficult for me to be vegetarian.

I eat a decently varied cooked diet with minimum junk food and I will also fast 1 day a week.

This is what I eat:

whole grain cereal, pasta, breads

vegetables, fruits

beans, soy, chickpeas

nuts & seeds, mostly peanuts and sunflower seeds

eggs, dairy, fish

On my 3rd attempt at being vegetarian where I lasted over 1 month, my blood work turned out horrible. Any suggestions, maybe some foods I can include in my diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai_alexandru View Post

Hi all... my name is Mihai from Romania and I'm a 17 year old vegetarian wanna be.

This is about my 4th attempt... lol and I always fail at it.

I always feel unsatisfied and I think about food too much.

I want to include fish because it's very difficult for me to be vegetarian.

I eat a decently varied cooked diet with minimum junk food and I will also fast 1 day a week.

This is what I eat:

whole grain cereal, pasta, breads

vegetables, fruits

beans, soy, chickpeas

nuts & seeds, mostly peanuts and sunflower seeds

eggs, dairy, fish

On my 3rd attempt at being vegetarian where I lasted over 1 month, my blood work turned out horrible. Any suggestions, maybe some foods I can include in my diet?

What happened with your bloodwork? You look like you eat a fairly well-balanced diet - perhaps you need variety in how you prepare your foods.

Your body doesn't need fish, honestly!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's all about planning and not waiting until you are hungry or in a situation. Have things ready, read our recipe section there are so many ideas there.

**vegetarians don't eat fish

You can do anything if you put your mind to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:

On my 3rd attempt at being vegetarian where I lasted over 1 month, my blood work turned out horrible.

What's wrong with your blood work?

Why do you fast 1 day/week? 1/7th of the time you aren't getting nutrients.
#5 Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I see you eat different food groups, but do you eat them everyday, or is it more like a veg today and an apple tomorrow? If you want us to check out your eating balance, please list a REAL day, like yesterday. It's very important to list a real one, not some typical one you THINK you eat like, because when put on paper (or computer) it can quickly show that the times we thought we get something later, didn't happen. Please start a food journal so you can see what you have done, and post a REAL day.
#6 Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine was running a vegetarian outreach group in Romania, and I know he had a website with good info for fledgling vegetarians (in Romanian, to boot) and he put his contact info there. I just sent him an email. Hopefully he'll respond soon so you can get some good, fairly-local advice.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

I just suck at the diet and it's ruining my health.

This is what I ate today:

2 egg omlette with cheese

bean stew

pasta salad

bread

And now I'm hungry... if I'll eat meat I'll feel "normal". I think I'm protein deficient , but if if I eat vegetable protein I'll go on being hungry...

I only want to do this for the moral reasons... but I don't want to have constant hunger for the rest of my life.
#8 Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM

You might want to try including lots more vegetables and fruits, especially raw ones--if they are available to you. Best wishes.
#9 Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree. You seem to be lacking in fruits and veggies. Also, adding legumes will bulk up your meals so that you are not hungry as frequently. Whole grains, like oatmeal with some fresh fruit added is another great and easy suggestion that will keep you satisfied for longer.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#10 Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) NO EGGS AND NO DAIRY.

Lacto Vgetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) and NO EGGS -- ONLY DAIRY

Ovo Vegetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) and NO DAIRY -- ONLY EGGS

Lacto-ovo Vegetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) ONLY EGGS AND DAIRY.

VEGAN = NO FISH (or other meats), no eggs, no dairy, no honey, no silk, no fur, no leather, no wool and no animal bi products or other things made from animals (marshmallows, jell-o etc)

You will find that most food that contain animal products aren't good for you anyway. You DO NOT NEED FISH, EGGS OR DAIRY in your diet. It's SO EASY to do that you just have to want it bad enough. Think of all the lives you will save by not having dairy, eggs or meat--including yours.

If you want to be a REAL vegetarian cut out THE FISH because FISH is STILL FLESH!

Okay, I am calm.

Welcome to VB btw.

EDIT:

There are many things you can eat through the day ESPECIALLY protien filled. Snack on lots of trail mix--it's good, its filling, its full of protein and its good FOR you. Also eat a lot of your favorite fruits. You will find you will eat more because of portion size but that is totally ok as long as it fills you up. I would suggest a LOT of whole grains and oatmeal as that has a lot of fibre/will keep you full longer. (AND DRINK LOTS OF WATER) These are all things that I do to stay full

GAH. EDIT 2:

Also, most of the time you will find that when you go to eat its not because you're actually hungry. Ususally (depending on the person but MOST people) eat when they are bored or not STUFFED. Wait until you are really hungry. Have 3 meals a day with a small snack in between. Also eat fruits 1/2 hour before any major meal.

If you aren't ready to be vegetarian don't push it. Do research first. I reccomend reading the book Skinny ***** by Rory Freedman or Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#11 Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Make sure you're getting enough calories.
#12 Old 09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
ket
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessss2008 View Post

Vegetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) NO EGGS AND NO DAIRY.

Lacto Vgetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) and NO EGGS -- ONLY DAIRY

Ovo Vegetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) and NO DAIRY -- ONLY EGGS

Lacto-ovo Vegetarian = NO FISH (or other meats) ONLY EGGS AND DAIRY.

VEGAN = NO FISH (or other meats), no eggs, no dairy, no honey, no silk, no fur, no leather, no wool and no animal bi products or other things made from animals (marshmallows, jell-o etc)

I'm a vegetarian, and I eat eggs and dairy (as of now). I would call the top one strict vegetarian, not vegetarian.
#13 Old 09-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ket View Post

I'm a vegetarian, and I eat eggs and dairy (as of now). I would call the top one strict vegetarian, not vegetarian.

Wouldn't that make you a lacto ovo vegetarian?

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#14 Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 PM
ket
Veggie Regular

^ yes, I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I am also just a vegetarian. I think the more important distinction is whether one is vegetarian or vegan, but obviously vegans are a subset of vegetarians. I never call myself a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Perhaps when veganism becomes more and more common, one would have to specify further, but I think that when people say vegetarian, people assume lacto-ovo. You have to specify vegan for people to get that you don't consume any animal products.

This is the definition from the International Vegetarian Union:

Vegetarian: For the purpose of membership of IVU, vegetarianism includes veganism and is defined as the practice of not eating meat, poultry or fish or their by-products, with or without the use of dairy products or eggs.
#15 Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ket View Post

^ yes, I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I am also just a vegetarian. I think the more important distinction is whether one is vegetarian or vegan, but obviously vegans are a subset of vegetarians. I never call myself a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Perhaps when veganism becomes more and more common, one would have to specify further, but I think that when people say vegetarian, people assume lacto-ovo. You have to specify vegan for people to get that you don't consume any animal products.

This is the definition from the International Vegetarian Union:

Vegetarian: For the purpose of membership of IVU, vegetarianism includes veganism and is defined as the practice of not eating meat, poultry or fish or their by-products, with or without the use of dairy products or eggs.

Ok thats what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure because people on here specify. I was like well.....I guess a vegetarian is like.....no meat or dairy or eggs? Thanks for clearing that up. I think we can agree though that NO vegetarians eat fish and if you do you are not vegetarian?

#16 Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
ket
Veggie Regular

definitely! vegetarians don't eat fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#17 Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!!

I agree that you may need more calories. Add in some snacks, especially fresh veggies and fruits. An apple, banana or orange. Celery and carrot sticks with dip (like hummus). Try smoothies! Throw in some fruit, a bit of veggies and some ice in a blender. Yum yum snack.

I'm going to assume you are in school (forgive me if I'm wrong. Not sure how Romania is.) so I'll suggest that you pack some quick snack things in your bag so you aren't going all the way from breakfast to lunch without some kind of food. I especially like Larabars. Clif bars are good as well. (Not even sure if those are available in Romania! Gah, maybe I should just shut it. Haha!)

Definitely make sure you are drinking enough water. Many times when you feel hungry when you honestly shouldn't - like soon after a decent meal- it's just that you are thirsty. Buy a cool reusable water bottle if that helps. (I'm at home 99% of the time and I still use my big 40 oz water bottle. )
#18 Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

If you really like meat I suggest morning star, qourn, bocca, ect. products. They were a life saver for the first few months. They taste like meat and they are not made with meat

^Cool story, bro
#19 Old 09-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Banned

Yes I know who is who, I just added fish because it's difficult for me to be vegetarian.

I thought, maybe I should still be an omnivore, but still eat a lot of vegetarian food, so that maybe one day I will get rid of meat on its own accord. Because now, if I abruptly stop eating meat, I feel it's impossible to feel good on the diet.

Edit: And yes, I ate a few pieces of chicken meat and felt very satisfied last night.
#20 Old 09-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess you need to decide what is more important to you, to feel physically satisfied or emotionally satisfied (because you are living up to your own ethical standards).
#21 Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 AM
ket
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes I know who is who, I just added fish because it's difficult for me to be vegetarian.

I thought, maybe I should still be an omnivore, but still eat a lot of vegetarian food, so that maybe one day I will get rid of meat on its own accord. Because now, if I abruptly stop eating meat, I feel it's impossible to feel good on the diet.

Edit: And yes, I ate a few pieces of chicken meat and felt very satisfied last night.

YOu probably felt better for a lot of reasons, but it wasn't that the chicken was more nutritionally satisfying. It was probably emotional and what you are used to and the diet change was probably very psychologically difficult for you.

I suggest that you slowly remove meat from your diet. I know that works better for some people than others.

I also suggest that you get a very good book on veg cooking and nutrition, and get informed about how to be physically, emotionally, and whatever kind of satisfied you need to be. It can be done. I no longer miss meat (that much). In my first attempts at being veg, I was uninformed, and it led to me not sticking with it.

Stay around here, learn some things, get support, and try to eat enough, and you can be find great happiness with being vegetarian. I promise!
#22 Old 09-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Banned

Yes, thanks. At least I know that I don't need a lot of meat to feel good. I only need to eat about twice a week, I guess already that's an improvement. I'll try to remove it slowly and not make abrupt changes.

But BTW, what do you all believe about fish? I know it's meat, but isn't it healthier because it contains less fat and has omega 3?

Edit: BTW, by feeling "good" I mean I feel satiated and not hungry all the time thinking about food.
#23 Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 AM
ket
Veggie Regular

well, you're not going to get good responses here if you would like to eat fish.

My thoughts on fish: 1) don't really like it that much, 2) full of mercury, 3) environmentally, fishing is devastating!!!, and 4) you can get omega 3 from eggs or other vegan sources, like flax seed, 5) it isn't vegetarian to eat fish, so I don't do it -- I don't want to kill animals in order to eat

I definitely felt like you did one of the times I tried to be vegetarian -- this was back when I wasn't as good at cooking, and didn't know a lot about replacements, and didn't like the ones I tried.

GOod luck!
#24 Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

what do you all believe about fish? I know it's meat, but isn't it healthier because it contains less fat and has omega 3?

Yes it's healthier than other meats in some ways but being vegetarian/vegan is even healthier, so why bother?
#25 Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I just suck at the diet and it's ruining my health.

This is what I ate today:

2 egg omlette with cheese

bean stew

pasta salad

bread

And now I'm hungry... if I'll eat meat I'll feel "normal". I think I'm protein deficient , but if if I eat vegetable protein I'll go on being hungry...

I only want to do this for the moral reasons... but I don't want to have constant hunger for the rest of my life.

It looks very much like you are living under a misconception of what vegetarians are. Or maybe your list above is just way too simplified and you actually ate better? People who are not one, think they eat the exact same thing as before, just remove the meat from the table. The problem is, their food plans were sadly lacking before, but by eating meat and blocking up their intestines with it (same reason it causes colon cancer) they FELT full and satisfied. Vegetarians are not just the lack of meat, they are an explosion of healthy fruits and vegetables, which gives them more nutrition than they ever had before.

HERE'S THE CHANGES I WOULD MAKE TO YOUR DAY:

2 egg omlette with cheese made with peppers&onions + 1/2 RED GRAPEFRUIT AND WHOLE GRN TOAST + Smart Balance Light with Flax Oil vegan buttery spread

SNACK: BANANA

bean stew - + CARROTS, CELERTY, TATERS, ONIONS?

SNACK: APPLE

pasta salad - (this is a side dish, not a meal) + celery sticks with natural peanut butter spread on them ~or~ chikn pattie fried crisp, then add 2T of Ragu lt ontop and sprinkling of mozarelli soy cheese + small green salad with olive oil & balsamic vinegar.

bread - you mean with the pasta salad, or a later snack? So, is this a non-whole grain pasta with a non-whole grain piece of bread?

If you didn't have any nut butters earlier, a handful of RAW walnut/almond/brazil nut mixed - raw (still has healthy oils) are usually found in the produce section, but can be found in the baking section if you can't find it anywhere else

BEDTIME SNACK: 1/2 C almond / hemp or organic soy / low fat dairy if you are still drinking that
#26 Old 09-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yes, thanks. At least I know that I don't need a lot of meat to feel good. I only need to eat about twice a week, I guess already that's an improvement. I'll try to remove it slowly and not make abrupt changes.

But BTW, what do you all believe about fish? I know it's meat, but isn't it healthier because it contains less fat and has omega 3?

Edit: BTW, by feeling "good" I mean I feel satiated and not hungry all the time thinking about food.

If eating meat once in a while, while learning how to live veg**n helps, then do it. In the meantime, educate yourself about different foods, learn to prepare foods differently, and keep in contact with as many veg**ns as possible for support.

I'm pretty new to this myself, and have tried it at different points of my life. I assume you're living at home with parents? If so, are they positive, or negative about it?

When I at meat, I almost immediatly feel full. Over full. Since eating veg, I've found I feel very light. I feel okay when I'm hungry, and don't need to overeat to feel finished. I feel very good after eating. That only happened after getting rid of all the old cr*p in my system, and eating only veg--n.

Don't beat yourself up. Be proud of accomplishments. Keep a journal, and keep track of recipes you like. But please eat a varied diet-fruits and veggies, grains, nuts and beans.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#27 Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:

i understand that you might be finding a vegetarian diet very difficult to handle, and that living in romania isn't the same as living in the USA, but you must understand that the rules on this forum are that you don't talk about meat except to get help in giving it up.

these rules exist because this is a safe place for people who don't eat meat- who don't really want to hear about other people enjoying meat, and somwhere where they can escape from meat-eating being praised. please be very careful how you talk about eating meat, and read the rules, here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=67256

you probably feel full from eating meat because it takes your body longer to break down than vegetables, grains, and beans, and it feels heavy in your stomach. if you eat something like a thick bean and vegetable soup with a chunk of brown bread, and be prepared to have a snack in a few hours- something like some nuts and crackers- maybe eat 4 or 5 times instead of twice a day ( 3 meals, 2 little snacks), you'll probably be perfectly ok. but you can't just take the meat out, and not expect there to be a gap in your diet.

you don't have to eat all kinds of expensive fake meat products to be a healthy vegetarian, but you do need to maybe eat a little more (not necesarily very expensive things- dried beans are full of nutrients!), and be a little more thoughtful about what you do eat, and how often.
#28 Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want to be a vegetarian. Be one. Cut out ALL MEATS and do it (slowly if you need to) but until you do that, don't call yourself a vegetarian because you aren't.

Fish has murcury which causes cancer. Yummyyyy. (health wise).They are still animals and just because they aren't cute and fluffy, or cry and scream when they are killed doesn't mean its ok to kill them. If you cannot NATURALLY catch a fish with your own hands and teeth, it shouldn't be eaten.

#29 Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 PM

Good luck on your quest to become vegetarian or vegan. One thing I wanted to mention that I haven't seen in other posts. It is normal to feel different, weird, or weak when you first give up eating meat and animal products. It took me about 8 days to feel normal and eventually better than before. It took about 2 months for me to stop thinking about meat and wanting to eat it. During those first 2 months, I found it helped to eat the fake meat products. During this time I made a real commitment to learn to cook 5 meals that I really enjoyed. I also used my weekends to plan my weekly meals and cook up batches of flavorful beans and brown rice so when I was hungry I had something easy to put together. I purchased whole wheat tortillas and made sure that I always had something available to eat. It took a while before I realized that I needed to eat more than I thought because I needed to eat more volume of vegan foods when I removed the high fat, high calorie meat options. I really like the fact that I don't have to diet anymore. I eat when I am hungry. I eat healthy whole foods and my body loves me for it. What a great way to live!
#30 Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Banned

Thanks. At the moment I'm surviving with only a few meals of meat (fish) a week and I feel OK. Gradually, I hope I won't have to eat meat at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page