Thinking about starting my transition with a raw juice fast. What do you think? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2009, 03:37 PM

I am in the process of changing my diet to vegetarian. I have been reading some juicing detox info. and it seems to me to be a good idea to do a juicing fast first and make my way into this new diet after. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Fresh juice! YUMMY!!!!!!!

I want to get a juicer to do that too but I can't right now!

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#3 Old 09-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Beginner

This is an excellent idea. Juicing is so detoxifying and nourishing. You will load your body with millions of enzymes to. Hubby and I juice every single day. We juice fruits in the morning and veggies in the afternoon. Always juice on a empty tummy to get the most benefit.

I recommend the book, The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose.

Make sure your juicer is easy to clean to. My gfs complain that their juicers are a pain in the ass to clean and they stop using their juicers.

I think the best part of juicing for me is that I juice veggies I dont really care for...like Kale. Add Kale to carrots, apples, and garlic and its so yummy. Plus your drinking raw veggies. It just dont get any better. No loss of nutrients from cooking, no butter, salt, ranch...nothing but raw fruits and veggies. We juice every morning for breakfast.

I plan on fasting a juice for 24 hours soon.

They are here with us...Not for us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Beginner

Also....I would go to Whole Foods and order a juice and spend like 7 bucks on a 16 oz juice. I couldnt do that everyday. Having my own juicer is so much bang for your buck!

#5 Old 09-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

A Vita-Mix blender is also a wonderful substitute for a juicer plus you get all the fiber. I love making green smoothies for breakfast. What's that you say? Well...

1 handful spinach (or dandelion greens are also yumtastic)

Some carrots (I use baby carrots as I can just dump them in without cutting or peeling)

A banana (for taste)

Apple juice (to thin it out)

Super green powder (optional but pack full of nutrients)

Blend it all up and suck it all down. Bananaliciously green.
#6 Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

... How long did you intend to do this?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't bother. It's a total con. Placebo effects only, and it's quite dangerous if you do it for too long.
#8 Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Thanks so much! I jotted that recipe down and can't wait to make it. Sounds great!
#9 Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill_herz View Post

I am in the process of changing my diet to vegetarian. I have been reading some juicing detox info. and it seems to me to be a good idea to do a juicing fast first and make my way into this new diet after. Any suggestions?

I would suggest reading around a bit more, not just juicing detox sites because they are not scientifically supported. The beauty of a veggie diet is that you can just start one, your body doesn't need any preparation for it.

m8itcanw8.com
#10 Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I would only do it if you have a vendetta against your body, eating a healthy balanced diet is much better. The only reason you should fast is if your doctor tells you to for medical reasons. (I.e. because you're getting a blood test/having a general anaesthetic the next day)
#11 Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

A good healthy vegan diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables and lots of water is a good detox and you can do it permanently.

Good luck!
#12 Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Going veggie is great and drinking juice is yummy.

But "detoxing" and fasting? That's a fail in my book. Like others have said, there's no scientific support for those practices.

The best way to take care of your system is to eat plenty of fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
#13 Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I'm not too keen on the idea of fasting but I'm a person who really loves to eat. It's definitely not something to take lightly and many things I have read suggest slowly building up to one rather than a hard switch. It will probably send your body into starvation mode and that is not a good thing. But you will do what you feel like doing.

Since it was mentioned: I make a breakfast smoothie every morning for my family, putting in whatever I feel like. Today I'm going with a simple strawberry banana (request from my husband). Yesterday's was kiwi, apple, plumcot, pineapple, spinach, carrot and alfalfa sprouts. Throw in some ice and blend up real good (I have an awesome food processor but a blender works too). Total yummy goodness.
#14 Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemeggie View Post

Going veggie is great and drinking juice is yummy.

But "detoxing" and fasting? That's a fail in my book. Like others have said, there's no scientific support for those practices.

The best way to take care of your system is to eat plenty of fruits, veggies, and whole grains.

me too....exactly what I was gonna say....good luck with whatever you choose
#15 Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Please don't do anything on my account but...

I've done 4-5 day water fasts before (when I was an omni). I had been suffering from extreme fatigue and muscle weakness (especially in my hands). Those problems had totally cleared up after the fast. Personally I feel as though toxicity in the colon has systemic influences. The fast certainly helped clear the colon (sorry!).

Now if you live off of fruit smoothies for a couple of days I can't really see how blended fruits are somehow not as nutritious as "intact" fruits. I can't see how doing that for a couple of days would hurt you.
#16 Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 PM

I would not take your juice fast past 24 hours... which would mean you would be ending it when you did not feel very well so it would probably not be a good start >.>
#17 Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

As a diabetic, I'm not a fan of fasting in any form. I know that there are anecdotal stories to support the idea. I think it is so much more nutritious to blend whole fruits and vegetables. Yum!

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#18 Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

There isn't a fruit and vegetable industry that would make money off of "scientific" studies, so of course there are none.

I would limit a juice fast to a couple days, and don't make it a "fast" - make it a feast, meaning get as many calories as your body needs.

I find most people opposed to healthier diets just haven't tried them, are Western conditioned to think that processed foods are part of a healthy diet, but don't worry - raw fruits and vegetables are the best source for nutrition. People who base their diet off of these as opposed to processed and cooked foods often have no idea what PMS is, take no medications, and obesity is rare while exercise and glow is prevalent. I don't need a study to see how other countries live and eat. I honestly wouldn't take dietary advice from anyone who follows the "norm" (including a normal plant-based diet unless the person bases their diet predominantly on vegetables and fruit and other items AFTER those).
#19 Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Just start your vegetarian diet and don't worry about preparing your body. Research and make sure you're getting the nutrients your body needs (B12, omega-3, calcium, calories, etc.).

Basic Nutrition

Omega 3 fats
#20 Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

There isn't a fruit and vegetable industry that would make money off of "scientific" studies, so of course there are none.

I would limit a juice fast to a couple days, and don't make it a "fast" - make it a feast, meaning get as many calories as your body needs.

I find most people opposed to healthier diets just haven't tried them, are Western conditioned to think that processed foods are part of a healthy diet, but don't worry - raw fruits and vegetables are the best source for nutrition. People who base their diet off of these as opposed to processed and cooked foods often have no idea what PMS is, take no medications, and obesity is rare while exercise and glow is prevalent. I don't need a study to see how other countries live and eat. I honestly wouldn't take dietary advice from anyone who follows the "norm" (including a normal plant-based diet unless the person bases their diet predominantly on vegetables and fruit and other items AFTER those).

I totally agree with you.

Fasting goes all the way back to the Old Testiment. Our digestion systems need a break once in awhile. When an animal is sick it stops eating. This is a natural response to let the body heal itself naturally and this is why we as humans lose our appetit when we are sick. What do we do..we go to our western medicine practicing doctor and he gives a drug. Fasting is "self care"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page