What would you call me? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM

I tell most people I am vegetarian, but I sometimes eat meat. I eat self provided fishes or animals. A friend of mine who raises a few chickens for instance, that I know are well treated. So, what am I!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

You are an omni, not a vegetarian and unless you really want to be a vegetarian and are trying to be, the mods are gonna get you
#3 Old 09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

An omnivore. Not a vegetarian...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post

I tell most people I am vegetarian, but I sometimes eat meat. I eat self provided fishes or animals.

Then you are a liar. I'm not flaming you, mind you, but saying you are one thing and then doing the exact opposite is called lying. I could tell everyone I'm a circle, but if I have three sides, then I'm a triangle. By the very definition of "vegetarian", not eating meat is a must. If you eat meat, sorry, you are not a vegetarian.

And yes, maybe it's not your case, but attitudes like that really get me on my nerves. I hate when people want to "get a trendy label" at all costs, even if it includes lying and cheating.

On the other hand, it is true that you try to help the cause only by eating animals that have been "treated properly", and that is, at least, something better than what most omnis do. But still no vegetarian.
#5 Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

omnivore.

also, someone searching for a label or wanting status from a label perhaps?
#6 Old 09-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

MOD POST

Charles, please be aware that the rules state that you must be either vegetarian or actively moving towards vegetarianism in order to be a member of this board.

While we appreciate your efforts to reduce your consumption of animals, you may only stay here as a member if you plan on actively eliminating eating all animals, regardless of their source.

Thanks for your understanding.
#7 Old 09-05-2009, 03:59 AM

As everybody else has already said, you're still omni and unluckily you won't be a vegetarian until you give up all kind of meat and fish.
#8 Old 09-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want a label and to tell people that you dont eat meat all that often you could call yourself a "Flexitarian". I know some people hate the term but i'd rather you use that than keep saying youre a veggie!
#9 Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Omnivore. You need to remove all meat/fish and its direct products (e.g. gelatin, butter, meat broth...) to be a vegetarian.

If you want to a label say you're Flexitarian; but, please, don't tell the others that you're vegetarian because it isn't true and can be misleading for those people who don't know exactly what vegetarianism is.
#10 Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

sounds to me like you're confused.
#11 Old 09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_ View Post

Omnivore. You need to remove all meat/fish and its direct products (e.g. gelatin, butter, meat broth...) to be a vegetarian.

Butter?
#12 Old 09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Ravn View Post

Then you are a liar.

Not the nicest way to greet a newcomer to the forum, do you think?

The term vegetarian is certainly an inaccurate label for our new guest but there's no need to be rude. Charles wouldn't be the first omnivore to think that vegetarian means 'mostly plant-based' or some variation of that. Just because this is one of our pet-peeves and we discuss terminology ad nauseam on the board, doesn't mean we should greet newcomers at the door with a bad attitude. We should always assume that this is an omnivore's very first encounter with vegetarians and behave accordingly.

Dig
#13 Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

How about Chuck?
#14 Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

How about Chuck?

#15 Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Butter?

Not all butters, relax Butter results from dairy, wich makes it lacto-vegetarian. But, actually, some butters have a bit of animal fat added in them. So it's always a good idea tho check the ingredients. The same is valid to cheese; the most part of them are lacto-vegetarian, but a few are omnivore because of rennet. Again, is always better to check the ingredients.
#16 Old 09-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

An omni. Why do you say that you are a vegetarian?

Are you a vegetarian between meals? Most omnis are like that: Vegetarian, but not when they eat.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#17 Old 09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Why did you join, are you gonna go completely veg any time soon?
#18 Old 09-06-2009, 04:44 PM

Omni....I have a friend who thinks she is veggie and calls herself veggie but she stil eats meat and thats just wrong imo...either you are or you arent.
#19 Old 09-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post

I tell most people I am vegetarian, but I sometimes eat meat. I eat self provided fishes or animals. A friend of mine who raises a few chickens for instance, that I know are well treated. So, what am I!?

Gah, PLEASE stop telling peopel your vegetarian. You kill animals ans eat them.....that is NOT vegetarian....

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#20 Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Rumpelstiltskin, am I right?
#21 Old 09-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Like everybody else has been saying, you're unfortunately not a vegetarian. However, if you plan to seriously move in that direction, you have come to the best place for encouragement, in my opinion.

Please, utilize these boards to your advantage- there is a TON of information to be found and, despite some occassional snark, everybody here is extremely helpful and eager to assist you in your transition.

I'm assuming, of course, that you intend to make said transition. Seeing as that you eat limited meat under specific circumstances as it is, you should have no trouble in eliminating it completely, although it might take a little while.

If you still intend to eat meat, then..well...sic 'im, guys!
#22 Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

You are a meat-eater.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#23 Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Not the nicest way to greet a newcomer to the forum, do you think?

I don't think being called a liar (when you are lying) rude, I find people who claim to be vegetarian but still eat meat rude.

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#24 Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

The OP hasn't returned since his original post. I don't expect he will, at this point.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#25 Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

The OP hasn't returned since his original post. I don't expect he will, at this point.

You beat me to it...I was going to say, I'd call him 'gone'!
#26 Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 AM

I'd say an occasion meat eater.. or cruelty free.. but if you were offered meat or someone asked you, you'd have to say you don't usually eat meat, or you only have certain standards of it.
#27 Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

It was a bit of dog-pile all right.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#28 Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

a tad aggresive were we not?
#29 Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

a tad aggresive were we not?

Not really, we basically told him he was NOT a vegetarian. I didn't read a single rude post here. But still, I don't think he is coming back/just joined to be rude.

#30 Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I think people begin to see the light a little at a time. When we meet someone like that, who is just beginning to question (not someone who has been telling everyone they are veggie and eatting fish for years) what a vegetarian is, that is a golden opportunity to reach them, as their mind is open. To pound them makes us feel like victors, and shows them we are sick of those who don't 'get it'.... but it's winning the skurmish and losing the war. Any chance we had to enlighten this person was lost and 'getting him'.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page