Why are you vegetarian? (or thinking to become one) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Why do people become vegetarian?

I'll tell you why I became vegetarian and I hope to see your response soon. More about why I became vegetarian (and who I am) you'll find on my site [URL deleted]

Like the average Dutch person I grew up in a normal meat-eating family. I liked eating meat and didnt give it much thought.

This changed slowly as I was reading more and more on why many spiritual leaders (among who Gandhi ) are in favor of a vegetarian diet.

In the years before 2001 I often struggled with the thought that it wasnt right (for me) to eat meat, but still I liked the taste too much to give it up. Also I kept telling myself that I was just not living in the right society. I knew no vegetarians around me and becoming vegetarian would be quite a statement and a lot of hassle.

Then one day the mad cow disease reached my country. In every stable where the disease was discovered all the cows would be killed. On television they showed daily, how the dead bodys would be picked up by construction machines and thrown into a truck to be disposed for waste.

It was kind of shocking to see and I exposed myself to it purposefully, knowing that this was strengthening me to become a vegetarian.

The last thing I needed before making the bold statement that starting today I would be vegetarian was the description from Mansukh Patel of how animals are treated in a slaughter house. He also talked about their fear and how any educated human-being should be able to understand that this energy-of-fear would stay in the meat that we are eating. It made sense to me that, that could not be healthy.

These days my main reason for being vegetarian is that I believe that it just cannot be right to kill a living being for nothing less than a slight enjoyment.

I just see no balance there. Sometimes my actions might harm other living beings, but this will be because I have no other choice or because my benefit exceeds their discomfort.

But to kill simply because I like the taste of something, seems very weird and not human to me.

Elisa_507 (follow me on twitter?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2009, 01:11 AM

I became a vegetarian because I was sitting in my living room one night, eating a turkey sandwich, and a commercial came on for some chicken company. It was supposed to be a satirical commercial with almost papier-mache type costumes on these people, and they we're bloated chickens with sickly feathers. And then a sleaze-bag type doctor was like, "I just injected salt-water into your body so you can make us more money." And then the announcer woman was like, "Product name, does not plump their chickens. It's a completely natural environment for the chicks." I was thoroughly disgusted. They DO that? What the heck? What is WRONG with society?! I was like, "I'm done with meat."
#3 Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegetarian for my Health.

My wife, who is not a vegetarian, is thinking about

giving it a try. She has seen my weight lose and seen

how I feel better and she is toying with the vegetarian idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Well it started first for me,beacuse of health reasons, then the more I read, its now for animal rights the enviroment, and health reasons.
#5 Old 08-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Ex-*****

I'm a vegetarian (or vegan to be more specific) because eating the flesh of other animals when perfectly healthy alternatives exist is Wrong. And it's Wrong regardless of how "ethically" the animals were raised, how "humanely" they were slaughtered, and how much the farmer "loves" his animals.

That is the short version of it.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#6 Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Elisa and welcome to VB!!!

Nice of you to share your story. I became vegetarian because of ethical reasons. Before becoming vego, I'd loved eating and would eat anything and never gave a thought about vegetarianism. One day I was reading an article about fur and something just clicked. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years now.
#7 Old 08-16-2009, 06:51 AM

I became vegetarian because I loved me the cute and fuzzy nanimals!

actually, I didnt like A. The treatment of animals B. Contributing to violence C. Putting something brutally killed who was mistreated during life and pumped with chemicals into my body, and I'm sure there is a d...but Im too hungry to type another reason... I need me some breakfast ya'll.

#8 Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a vegetarian because I realized that I don't like meat! Growing up, I never enjoyed eating the meat staples that my mom prepared (meatloaf, steak, ham, fish(ewwww!)). I had a friend in high school who was a vegetarian and I was fascinated by this - I loved eating dinner at her house because her mom would prepare veggie meals fresh from their garden. When I went to college, I was standing in line at the grill and watched the guy making my friend's double bacon cheeseburger and as it came out of the fryer dripping with grease, I realized that it looked completely repulsive. So began my journey toward a meatless life. As I delved into researching vegetarianism, I learned more about animal abuse/suffering and the real price of the meat that is on the table. So the combination of disliking the taste of meat and not wanting to cause suffering to the defensless creatures is the driving force behind my being a vegetarian.
#9 Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM

For the animals. It's also better for the environment, which I love.

The health benefits are an added bonus, but not a reason.
#10 Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM

i am becoming a vegetarian because at some point, my ethics on the environment/corporate greed/welfare of the workers has to catch up with my lifestyle. the first place i am seeking to bring those into alignment is my eating/food consumption. it's not always perfect, but i don't want to be a hypocrite.
#11 Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa_507 View Post

Why do people become vegetarian?

I'll tell you why I became vegetarian and I hope to see your response soon. More about why I became vegetarian (and who I am) you'll find on my site [URL deleted]

Like the average Dutch person I grew up in a normal meat-eating family. I liked eating meat and didnt give it much thought.

This changed slowly as I was reading more and more on why many spiritual leaders (among who Gandhi ) are in favor of a vegetarian diet.

In the years before 2001 I often struggled with the thought that it wasnt right (for me) to eat meat, but still I liked the taste too much to give it up. Also I kept telling myself that I was just not living in the right society. I knew no vegetarians around me and becoming vegetarian would be quite a statement and a lot of hassle.

Then one day the mad cow disease reached my country. In every stable where the disease was discovered all the cows would be killed. On television they showed daily, how the dead bodys would be picked up by construction machines and thrown into a truck to be disposed for waste.

It was kind of shocking to see and I exposed myself to it purposefully, knowing that this was strengthening me to become a vegetarian.

The last thing I needed before making the bold statement that starting today I would be vegetarian was the description from Mansukh Patel of how animals are treated in a slaughter house. He also talked about their fear and how any educated human-being should be able to understand that this energy-of-fear would stay in the meat that we are eating. It made sense to me that, that could not be healthy.

These days my main reason for being vegetarian is that I believe that it just cannot be right to kill a living being for nothing less than a slight enjoyment.

I just see no balance there. Sometimes my actions might harm other living beings, but this will be because I have no other choice or because my benefit exceeds their discomfort.

But to kill simply because I like the taste of something, seems very weird and not human to me.

Elisa_507 (follow me on twitter?)

Welcome to VB and thank you for sharing your story. I enjoy hearing how people came to make such a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

Well it started first for me,beacuse of health reasons, then the more I read, its now for animal rights the enviroment, and health reasons.

Ditto. I was watching my family quickly die off from cancer and heart disease... many of them not much older than I am now. I didn't want to meet the same fate. At the time I was 15 and working my first job. A coworker of mine was a vegetarian and I asked her why. Her reasons were health-related and conversations with her about veg led me to do some research. The very first word I ever searched for on the internet was "vegetarianism." The rest, as they say, is history.
#12 Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

A few factors:

-I could never kill a cow or any of the other animals humans typically eat. I realized that my revulsion and sadness at the slaughter of an animal is hypocritical of a meat eater. Even though I wasn't killing animals myself, I was essentially paying others to do it for me.

-Cutting down consumption of animal products cuts environmental impact.

-I never liked very much meat anyway. I hated chicken, steak, and pork, so I was always refusing food people offered me anyway. Since I was a child, people have been asking me if I am a vegetarian. Finally being able to say "Yes" actually has helped my social interactions around food. Being a vegetarian is a lot more respectable than just being a very picky eater.
#13 Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 PM

Love for Animals and Animal Rights....also I always despised meat and the taste and smell and hardly ate it....My Mom always says she knew I was gonna be veggie before I did.
#14 Old 08-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Health.

That's it. That's all.
#15 Old 08-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Started out for health, environmental and human rights issues, and quickly began to include (non-human) animal rights issues as well.
#16 Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Health, animals, and environment
#17 Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Beginner

For me it is all about the animals. Growing up in France, we ate everything...kidneys, escargot, foie gras, etc. As I grew older and realized what I was eating, things became less and less ok to eat for me. I got to the point that I could delude myself that boneless chicken breasts and hamburgers were just food and not animals.

Finallyu, I couldn't delude myself any longer and all meat became repugnant to me. It was then that I became a full fledged Vegetarian!!
#18 Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 AM

Eating meat for the good of the animals

Even within my own family I hear these weird excuses for eating meat. My own mom will tell you that at least the animal had a life. Without so many meat eaters there would be less animals.

Also people say that they didnt kill the animal

As a child in my street people used to breed rabbits to eat them. When the animal was big enough to be eaten they would swap them ammong each other so that nobody would have to kill and eat their own sweet little rabbit.

I was around 9 years old and amazed about the stupidity. How tight can you close your eyes so that you will not see the truth???

Till today I know only few other vegetarians. When meeting a new person, I do not expect them to be vegetarian (or expect them to become one). Everyone has to make their own decision on this.

It is my belief that people who eat meat are just not fully realizing what they are doing. (like the people who swapped their rabbits, they dont WANT to know)

Elisa_507 (also my name on Twitter)
#19 Old 08-17-2009, 10:39 AM

I am becoming vegetarian because of my health and I can't seeing animals get kill.
#20 Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Simply put, I'm a veg*n for the animals. I don't see any reason why I should eat meat (or any animal product) when there are so many delicious foods out there (both replacements for non-veg*n foods and not).

I don't feel right taking the life of an animal with as much of a right to life as I have. It's selfish and cruel to expect another animal to give its life (or suffer) to feed me when I can live my life perfectly fine without meat (or other animal products).

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#21 Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

I first started thinking about vegetarianism when I read Chinese Chan Buddhist books translated by Lu Kuan Yu which advocated vegetarianism. The first 5 years I wasn't completely vegetarian and would eat meat occasionally. After getting married I stopped being vegetarian for about 7 years to keep things simple. I'm not sure why, but after 7 years I decided to become vegetarian and never eat meat again and since then have been vegetarian. All that time I felt uncomfortable about eating meat and when I became a vegetarian for good felt like a burden was lifted from my shoulders. For me it was always about avoiding from causing animal suffering (Ahimsa). I only found out about the health benefits much later (since I started using the Internet).
#22 Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM

For health reasons. It's much easier for me to turn away from hamburgers & other junk food if I know automatically that those things are permanently off the menu. I've been eating vegetables, fruits and grains almost exclusively (occaisional popcorn or pretzles, but overall, almost no junk food). I'm going for as much natural and healthy stuff as possible. :-) And... tomorrow will be my exact one-month anniversary of going veggie! So far, it's not been nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.
#23 Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

After seeing the "meet your meat" video I became veg, for animal rights reasons.
#24 Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

For me it's animal welfare.
#25 Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 AM

I started drawing parallels between the meat I was eating and animals that I really cared about. (dogs, cats) I had honestly never really thought about it before. I watched a really graphic video about how dogs and cats are treated in other countries, (for fur and food) and it disturbed me to say the least. I was so upset I was sobbing openly and pleading at the screen for them to stop. It was really bad. I don't think I've never been so upset in my life. After the shock wore off I was angry, but then I started to think about how hypocritical it was for me to judge those people when I was eating animals here. I had never viewed farm animals as being on the same level as dogs and cats. This realization was a huge catalyst for me. I no longer have any desire to eat meat. I don't really view it as "disgusting" as many here do. (not yet anyway) I just see it as terribly cruel.
#26 Old 08-19-2009, 04:09 AM

I, like I'm sure most people, fit into the all of the above category, but I guess what the question is, or is becoming, is the primary reason for your being a veggietarian.

My primary concerns are enviromental and economic. Espicially enviromental. The amount of waste and polution and deforestation that comes as a result of mans desire to eat the flesh of other living things far out ways the pollutants of other sources, to destroy the biggest portion of our earth killing conundrume, we must evolve as a species. We are the next step in that evolution, as herbivores. It is two fold; we produce less waste by not eating meat and for every one of us that gets added to the collective, the demand for meat drops. In a capitalist *spit* society like ours, that will result in the supply dropping as well, and thats why I'm a vegetarian. Every time I eat a meat free meal, I feel better physicially because its healthier, and I think about the fact that this meal just decreased demand a little. Sock it to the man!
#27 Old 08-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

If I'm honest, I can't really remember. I was about 4, and according to my parents I asked my Dad about the chicken on my plate (this was in the early 90's, before free range was really available). I just assumed that chickens in a garden died of old age then we ate them. He put me right, told me they lived in sheds and were killed.

I never ate another mouthful! I'm not sure what made me stop. Was it the idea that they were in sheds? Was it that a fluffy chicken that I saw in story books was killed and on my plate? Who knows.

As a kid, being vegetarian was just my 'thing'. I didn't give why much thought. I was veggie, and thats all I needed in my head.

As I got into my teens I found out more and more about animal welfare, and now in my twenties I don't eat eggs if I can avoid them, and only have organic dairy. I also more of a focus on buying local, fair trade, organic. I want to protect everyone on the food chain, be it animals or human workers.
#28 Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I have never thougt to become a vegetarian. (I hope this isn't double-Dutch)

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#29 Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I realized earlier this week that I didn't have much meat in my diet, so I was looking up nutritional needs of vegetarians to see what I might be low on. I came across a wonderful site that went into detail about how the animals were actually treated on these farms and was horrified.

I figured I already didn't eat eggs due to allergies, and didn't eat much meat: so it could also be cut out. Dairy is out of the house as of last night, but might be difficult...we'll see. I just don't want to support the industry any longer.
#30 Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbeans View Post

If I'm honest, I can't really remember. I was about 4, and according to my parents I asked my Dad about the chicken on my plate (this was in the early 90's, before free range was really available). I just assumed that chickens in a garden died of old age then we ate them. He put me right, told me they lived in sheds and were killed.

I never ate another mouthful! I'm not sure what made me stop. Was it the idea that they were in sheds? Was it that a fluffy chicken that I saw in story books was killed and on my plate? Who knows.

As a kid, being vegetarian was just my 'thing'. I didn't give why much thought. I was veggie, and thats all I needed in my head.

As I got into my teens I found out more and more about animal welfare, and now in my twenties I don't eat eggs if I can avoid them, and only have organic dairy. I also more of a focus on buying local, fair trade, organic. I want to protect everyone on the food chain, be it animals or human workers.

I think it was actually very cool that your dad told you the truth. Too many parents (like my sister with my question-filled nieces) try to spare kids the truth to prevent them from being traumatized. You prove that kids won't be traumatized... and may make a decision that positively affects their lifelong health and the well-being of the planet they are growing up on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page