Meat contains certain nutrients we can't find elsewhere? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 PM

I know this has been posted somewhere... but I can't find it and i've spent the last thirty minutes looking! If someone could just post a link to it i'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

No, it doesn't.

B12 can be a pain, but it's do able.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

No, it doesn't.

B12 can be a pain, but it's do able.

This quick and easy answer works just as well! That's what I thought. I've been researching on the web, and apparently this is a really popular (and false) argument made by meat eaters. All I found was this same B12 thing. I just wanted to be able to sound intelligent with my counter argument, but apparently their argument is just a fallacy.

Them: "meat contains certain nutrients you can't find elsewhere"

Me: "No it doesn't. Do some research." :-D

The end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I usually say poke their forehead, laugh, and then walk away.

I love confusing people.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

I usually say poke their forehead, laugh, and then walk away.

I love confusing people.

Then they will say that not eating meat causes you to act crazy.
#6 Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

If you're vegan you need to get B12 from fortified foods/supplements. If you're an ovo-lacto vegetarian you can get B12 from dairy.
#7 Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Usually, I just ask them to name the nutrient that meat and meat alone supposedly has. More often than not, they'll name either protein or iron, both of which are easy to get in the plant world (nutritiondata.com can tell you the plant-based sources if you're interested ). It's very rare that they'll mention B12 or any other nutrient.
#8 Old 07-23-2009, 02:04 AM
Beginner

Just show them a picture of Carl Lewis.
#9 Old 07-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

They're probably talking about complete proteins, although you don't need to eat meat to get all the proteins you need.

Some of the other "benefits" of eating meat are cancer, heart disease, cardiovascular disease, decreased life span, increased cholesterol etc etc ad nauseum.
#10 Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

One more benefit of eating meat, and early death. Something to look foward too, not.
#11 Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, even complete protein is found in the plant world. Amaranth, quinoa, and soybeans all are complete protein!
#12 Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiem View Post

Well, even complete protein is found in the plant world. Amaranth, quinoa, and soybeans all are complete protein!

really? i'm guessing the argument is usually complete protein or B12, both of which are found elsewhere? so really the whole argument is just... a lie. I've heard this argument twice already.
#13 Old 07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes its a lie and is used by people to justify their complicity in the murder of billions of animals every year.
#14 Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

As has already been said, ask them what nutrient they think you're missing out on. They're the one making a claim (that there's something you can't get without meat), so the burden of proof is on them.

But every dietary organization in the world agrees that veganism is perfectly healthy, as long as you're not on a "junk food only" diet.

--Fromper

#15 Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

"Meat contains certain nutrients we can't find elsewhere..."

Found it:

Synthetic hormones, antibiotics, salmonella, E.coli, water...

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#16 Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 PM

9 essential amino acids which you can get by combining proteins and making complete proteins. some examples areeanut butter on wheat bread,rice and beans,bean soup with a roll,vegetable chili,rice cakes with peanut butter or humus and pita. these are just a few examples you can look up complete proteins and you will find alot of information on it.
#17 Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kworthington View Post

9 essential amino acids which you can get by combining proteins and making complete proteins. some examples areeanut butter on wheat bread,rice and beans,bean soup with a roll,vegetable chili,rice cakes with peanut butter or humus and pita. these are just a few examples you can look up complete proteins and you will find alot of information on it.

so ANY of these combinations will satisfy my protein requirement, or all of them together satisfy my protein requirement?

if any one of them does... well it's pretty awful for someone to justify killing an animal when they could just eat a peanut butter sandwich instead. the more informed i become.. the sadder i become for the omnis
#18 Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

While those combinations will form complete proteins, you don't have to eat them together to gain the benefits. As long as you're eating a varied and balanced diet throughout the day, protein is basically a non-issue for most people.

The more concerning nutrients would be things like B12, iron, calcium, etc, though these are quite possible to get from plant based foods as well (you can get B12 from supplemented plant based milks and veggie 'meats', etc or from a simple supplement).
#19 Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

While those combinations will form complete proteins, you don't have to eat them together to gain the benefits. As long as you're eating a varied and balanced diet throughout the day, protein is basically a non-issue for most people.

The more concerning nutrients would be things like B12, iron, calcium, etc, though these are quite possible to get from plant based foods as well (you can get B12 from supplemented plant based milks and veggie 'meats', etc or from a simple supplement).

is flax the best source of B12?
#20 Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Flax is not a source of B12 at all. B12 is made by bacteria (which is where cows get it, for example, from bacteria in their gut producing B12 which they then absorb - bacteria in our gut can produce it as well but it is produced too far down the GI tract for us to absorb it). Unwashed produce *may* be a source of B12 (due to bacteria in the soil) but that is not a reliable source and certainly not recommended

If you're using supplemented foods regularly (so that you're getting at least 100% of the recommended daily intake), you should be ok (though it might be a good idea to ask your Dr to add a B12 test to your yearly blood test). You can also get B12 from most (all?) nutritional yeast. Or in a multivitamin if you take those. Or a B12 supplement (my favorite are the sublingual tablets which dissolve under your tongue).
#21 Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieS View Post

is flax the best source of B12?

Flax is a good vegetarian source of Omega-3s.
#22 Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You can also get B12 from most (all?) nutritional yeast.

Nutritional yeast is not a source of B 12. There are some brands that are fortified with B 12 though.
#23 Old 07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post

Nutritional yeast is not a source of B 12. There are some brands that are fortified with B 12 though.

No, the yeast itself does not contain B12, but can be grown on a medium that includes B vitamins including B12.

I wouldn't rely on nutritional yeast as a sole source of B12. Personally I feel the best insurance is a B12 supplement.
#24 Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 PM

First thing I want to mention is that the body has the amazing ability to make do with what you have. If you eat strictly vegan, your body would likely compensate for the lack of B12. Many of the longest living peoples/cultures in the world (read some John Robbins to find out more) lack food sources for many of the supposedly essential vitamins/minerals and they live past 100 on average.

Our body does the same thing with protein. It's able to connect the dots with missing amino acids.

I am of the belief that the USDA's recommendations for vitamins and minerals are based on faulty research and a hand in the supplement business' pockets. There is no way you can tell me that healthy cultures eating wild foods from the Earth get every item listed as essential by the USDA on a regular, or even semi-regular basis.
#25 Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I drink silk soy milk and it contains protein, calcium and B12.

And I have a One a Day womens to make sure I don't miss anything. They have One a Day Mens too, my boyfriend takes those.

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#26 Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessss2008 View Post

And I have a One a Day womens to make sure I don't miss anything. They have One a Day Mens too, my boyfriend takes those.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those contain gelatin. I just discovered it a few months ago myself.
#27 Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Personally I feel the best insurance is a B12 supplement.

Yeppers!

Pick yourself up a good B12 supplement (which are actually quite cheap) and you'll not have to micro-manage your diet so much. I'm not a supplement kind of guy myself, but when it comes to B12 I'd rather not spend time and effort worrying about my dietary intake when I can just take a couple sublinguals. Fortified veggie foods are just supplements anyway. No difference at all. Take a few pills and relax.

Dig
#28 Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM

I get my B12 from soya milk and marmite(love he stuff).

I'm more concered about vitamin D. Although I don't think I'm lacking(I just worry i will). I read that it comes from animals (haven't read up on it in a while), and sunlight. So what do I do when the place I live has mostly crapy wheather.(it does have it's good days of course.)

Is there more food that contain this that I don't know about?
#29 Old 07-25-2009, 12:37 AM

Please people, get "whole food supplements" and not the ones you find on supermarket shelves. They are all synthetic materials and made in the same 2-3 factories for all the big name companies with different labels, and have been shown to be highly unusable by the body. I'm not perfect but I do have a Masters in Health and Nutrition. Sups from whole food sources are your best bet. The generic "One a Day" sups will be excreted through your urine "once a day."

Also, in regards to vitamin D, your body stores it in the warmer months for the winter, so it's actually pretty well conserved in the body. If you go outside for 30 minutes a day you will be all set.
#30 Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedMike View Post

Please people, get "whole food supplements" and not the ones you find on supermarket shelves. They are all synthetic materials and made in the same 2-3 factories for all the big name companies with different labels, and have been shown to be highly unusable by the body. I'm not perfect but I do have a Masters in Health and Nutrition. Sups from whole food sources are your best bet. The generic "One a Day" sups will be excreted through your urine "once a day."

Also, in regards to vitamin D, your body stores it in the warmer months for the winter, so it's actually pretty well conserved in the body. If you go outside for 30 minutes a day you will be all set.

THANX

I was just woundering, people (my family) keep on telling me suppliments are bad for your health in the long run. true or false.

Thats why I haven't taken any, they don't want me to. They said if I can't get it all from the food I eat why do I bother with this diet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page