Cheezly... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM

I bought this for the first time a few weeks ago and I think I made the mistake of assuming it would taste just like my beloved strong cheddar (trying to drastically reduce dairy) because I just cut off a piece to eat straight from the fridge as a test .... and then couldn't get the godawful taste to go away!

I've been too terrified to touch it since (even to throw it out in case it leaps into my mouth or something). Is it worth persevering with it? Is it better if you cook with it? I only ask because I dont want to spend ages cooking something only to throw it out.

I've seen people raving about something called 'follow your heart' but I can't find anywhere in the UK that sells it, even online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

Oh no, there are no vegan cheezes that tast good straight out of the fridge. What Cheezly and the other cheese are best for cooking with.

I eat buckets of the Cheezly Mature Cheddar by grating it and using it in mexican food (like burritos and tacos) where it melts with the food. Also, for use in Italian food like pizza and lasagna, again, where its heated and melts with the food.

But even then, people used to eating dairy cheese will find a distinct difference between vegan cheezes and the stuff from cows. The technology still isn't there yet to make as close simulations for cheese like in the fake meat area.

I suggest taking a 3 month break from all dairy, including fake dairy, and then give Cheezly a second try but in a cooked recipe.
#3 Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think any vegan cheese will taste like dairy cheese. It's one of the things people on these boards really struggle to give up, partly for this reason. And a strong contingent of vegans believe vegan cheese is all really foul, and unfortunately, you might be one of them.

And I think that you're right that you won't be able to get follow your heart in the UK. I've never found it.

All that negativity aside, I actually quite like cheezly. What type did you get? I enjoy the "extra melting" mozarella on pizza and in sandwiches, but I wouldn't really eat it 'straight'. I also add a little to the top of lasagne and such. I find it's better in small amounts to add 'cheesy' taste and (sort of) the texture, rather than to eat it as you would cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

The bottom line is that vegan cheeses aren't good, especially for eating out of hand. The longer you go without eating dairy though, the better they taste!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
there are no vegan cheezes that tast good straight out of the fridge.

I think Follow Your Heart mozzarella is fine straight out of the refrigerator.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#6 Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I think Follow Your Heart mozzarella is fine straight out of the refrigerator.

IMO - Fine if you like eating wet sponges.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

In some ways I don't think it's so different from fresh (cow) mozzarella.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Oh no, there are no vegan cheezes that tast good straight out of the fridge.

Stuff and nonsense! Sheese tastes great straight out of the fridge, I especially recommend the blue sheese variety which oddly tastes more like cheddar than the cheddar variety.

Cheezly isn't very nice imho, the only good one is the super melty mozerella which is good for making pizzas.
#9 Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

In some ways I don't think it's so different from fresh (cow) mozzarella.

Wow! I have tried FYH in mozzarella, cheddar, and Monterrey jack--I hated them all. Nothing scarring--just not good. I tried Sheese mozzarella. There are no words to describe the pure torture that was inflicted on my taste buds.

I want to try Cheezly, Teese, and/or Daiya. I have not had dairy cheese since I was 11 (long before I even knew what a vegan was). I'll be 32 in September. I just decided one day I didn't like cheese and haven't touched the stuff since. So, I'm not even looking to replicate dairy cheese in flavor or anything. I do want to find a cheezy alternative to hold my toppings on my pizza, add a little something to Mexican dishes, to open up new food options, etc.

I'm told those 3 choices will be my best bet (cheezly, teese, daiya). I'm withholding judgment because people raved and raved about sheese to me. My stomach is turning just from the memory of that stuff.
#10 Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Stuff and nonsense! Sheese tastes great straight out of the fridge, I especially recommend the blue sheese variety which oddly tastes more like cheddar than the cheddar variety.

I was eating sheeze at the bristol vegan fayre and found it all bloody horrible. my omni friend was munching away saying "what? it tastes the same as normal cheese, the textures just slightly different!". ive never been a cheese fan, id eat it if it came in a restaraunt dish or ready meal but never add it to anything (i dont think ive ever bought a block of cheese in my life) so if i hate it its probably brilliant =p
#11 Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I was eating sheeze at the bristol vegan fayre and found it all bloody horrible. my omni friend was munching away saying "what? it tastes the same as normal cheese, the textures just slightly different!". ive never been a cheese fan, id eat it if it came in a restaraunt dish or ready meal but never add it to anything (i dont think ive ever bought a block of cheese in my life) so if i hate it its probably brilliant =p

The mozzarella Sheese tasted like some weird pickled cake. It was sweet and just odd!
#12 Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

they all tasted like crumbly feet to me!
#13 Old 07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I am going to try and buy some of the creamy 'sheese' tomorrow. But not the cheddar one (hoping for a vegan dairylea - dairylea being my old guilty pleasure) it was hideous. Will have to see what the others are like

I'm in a similar boat to you behemot. Nowhere sells organic mozzarella anymore, so I need to find vegan (no non-organic dairy, ta) and if I can find a vegan alternative to something thats nice, I'll have that instead.

So yeah. I haven;t tried the cheddar cheezly, but I have the super melting mozarella in my fridge. I was never a 'chunk of cheese' fan, I only like cheese melted, so have no idea what the moz cheezly taste like as a chunk. It sorta melts and has a milt savoury cheese-esque taste on a pizza sandwhich.

I prefer tofutti mozzarella slices for pizza type things, though they taste quite processed!
#14 Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Cheezly isn't very nice imho, the only good one is the super melty mozerella which is good for making pizzas.

I agree, I eat Sheese and it is the best alternative I have found. I love it on sandwiches & such but wish it would melt.

Most vegan cheese taste like feet,literally, old stinkly feet... ick...

I hopefully there will be some progress with vegan cheeses..

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#15 Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

That's funny guys, because I only recall eating only one inedible non-dairy cheese and I've tried lots, both bought and at vegan restaurants. And I haven't even been dairy free for that long.

Like Irizary, I can eat FYH mozzarella straight out of the package. IMO it is very similar to the dairy stuff. I've also have had other kinds of vegan mozzarella when dining out, and feel that mozzarella is the most easily well imitated because of its texture (firm yet creamy) and taste (on the milder side).

I think a replacement for extra sharp cheddar would be difficult.

And I was temporarily scared away from vegan cheeses by VB'ers, but I tried and liked vegan cheese in many preparations only after a couple of weeks being dairy free. It doesn't taste like cheese, but it is creamy and savory.

I don't know why it causes such strong aversion. Most of them fall short simply on not having enough of a robust flavor, not for tasting bad, per se.
#16 Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

If you like the Boursin cream cheese (the garlic and herb one) then Tofutti garlic and herb cream cheese-stylee stuff is lovely. I get it from Holland and Barratt and eat it smothered on Ryvita.

Also my DH doesn't like Boursin so he leaves it alone which is a bonus
#17 Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofutti would be nice if it wasn't for the awful aftertaste
#18 Old 07-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I quite like the smoked cheddar Sheese on its own. I'd say Cheezly was more for cooking with, grating it into something warm or using on pizza.
#19 Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwenna View Post

I quite like the smoked cheddar Sheese on its own. I'd say Cheezly was more for cooking with, grating it into something warm or using on pizza.

I've heard the smoke cheddar Sheese is good, but I've been afraid to try it after my experience with their mozzarella.
#20 Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

they all tasted like crumbly feet to me!

ha yep, that pretty much sums up my cheezly experience

Sounds like everyone has totally opposing views on the various brands. Think I'll have to get cracking on working my way through my local health food shop's chiller till I find something edible... or give up and throw myself in the freezer. Will give my sad block of cheezly (which is probably frozen to the back of my fridge by now) a go in a sauce or something.

Tsk. All the things human beans have achieved... and to be beaten by cheese

Um strange image popped into my head then. Heather Mills in a lab coat and goggles screaming eureka...
#21 Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post

ha yep, that pretty much sums up my cheezly experience

Sounds like everyone has totally opposing views on the various brands. Think I'll have to get cracking on working my way through my local health food shop's chiller till I find something edible... or give up and throw myself in the freezer. Will give my sad block of cheezly (which is probably frozen to the back of my fridge by now) a go in a sauce or something.

Tsk. All the things human beans have achieved... and to be beaten by cheese

Um strange image popped into my head then. Heather Mills in a lab coat and goggles screaming eureka...

Is that anything like black beans?
#22 Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM

Probably in the BFG's world... Don't imagine giants like chickpeas. Too fiddly.
#23 Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post

Probably in the BFG's world... Don't imagine giants like chickpeas. Too fiddly.

I really do want to try those other cheeses I mentioned, but right now, ordering online is the only way I can get them. By the time I factor in shipping, it's a fortune! I'm not sure I'm ready to do that just yet.
#24 Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaganNC View Post

I really do want to try those other cheeses I mentioned, but right now, ordering online is the only way I can get them. By the time I factor in shipping, it's a fortune! I'm not sure I'm ready to do that just yet.

Yeah, It seems a little mental spending 5 quid on cheese and 20 paying someone to deliver it (I exaggerate a smidge). Well maybe if some of these new fangled brands (FYH) in the US really are any good then they might reach the UK one day.
#25 Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page