Framing Art - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I've recently acquire two pieces of artwork, or moreso am in the process. Before the artist sends them he has offered to reframe them to my liking. I haven't really decided on what to get and was hoping for opinions.

I was thinking of something framed more similarly to his smaller ones, and one friend suggested gold leaf frame, but not sure what he means exactly.

Since he is framing them before receipt, I really have no personal constraints on costs, etc.

Below are the two new paintings I am getting from him. they are roughly 16*20 inches.

Other artwork I have by him is below (I'm not sure if I will be putting all of the pieces together, or leave these -much smaller- ones separate)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

your bottom row of images are in gold leafed type frames (the left looks more like copper though). gold leaf is just very thin sheets of gold (like, thinner than a leaf) that is rubbed onto a surface which has been pre-treated with a sort of glue called size. gold leaf can be applied as a decorative detail on the relief sections of a pattern, or all over a whole surface. its like a variation on gold spraypaint or other gold toned metallic finishes, visually. think 'old masters' for gold leaf frames and you'll get an idea.

i reckon a simple, not ornate, burnished gold leaf frame might be nice on the top image, but only if the paint used in the face is more gold than yellow. if its yellow, it'll just look odd. i'd not do gold leaf for the sunflower, cos it'd not go with the yellow or with the style of work.

if you wanna display them together, i'd probably window mount them on a white or very slightly off-white mounting board, and go with a simple black frame. can't really go wrong with that- its got impact, it'll draw your eye to the image, not from it, and black tends to go with anything.

i'd definately not go with an ornate or elaborate frame for the sunflower image, cos its pretty uncomplicated and modern. while that works for the other pieces, cos they're complex and use the same tones, it'd maybe be odd for the more dramatic brightly coloured pieces.

have you asked the artist for suggestions? if he's got the skills to put together the work, he'd most likely have an excellent eye for what kinda frames would work with them.
#3 Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

your bottom row...

have you asked the artist for suggestions? if he's got the skills to put together the work, he'd most likely have an excellent eye for what kinda frames would work with them.

I have spoken with him. He suggested classic gold or classic black on both. He sent me some pictures of the frames he wouldn't charge for (not worried about a charge either way though, just want it done right.) I'll edit the post to add pictures once uploaded to my server.

[IMG]www.treydle.com/images/forums/005.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]www.treydle.com/images/forums/004.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]www.treydle.com/images/forums/003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]www.treydle.com/images/forums/002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]www.treydle.com/images/forums/001.jpg[/IMG]

I don;t really like any of them, but I think it will be hard to decide without the pieces. He's in japan so hard to check. I may just take on the burden of framing so I can see it and such. Hopefully I get more suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned

yeah, might be better do do it yourself- its not a difficult thing to do, or a framing shop would do it for you no hassle if you didn't want to do it yourself. that way you could see it for real and compare materials/options right in front of your own eyes. stuff just isn't the same in your hands as on a screen.
#5 Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

yeah, might be better do do it yourself- its not a difficult thing to do, or a framing shop would do it for you no hassle if you didn't want to do it yourself. that way you could see it for real and compare materials/options right in front of your own eyes. stuff just isn't the same in your hands as on a screen.

lol yeah. i think between you and my buddy im just gonna get the framing myself. compared to the pieces its a drop in the bucket
#6 Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry for a double post, but its been a few days.

I decided what I'm gonna have him frame them in, and then take them to a frame shop when they get here if I don't like them (and I'll get two free frames )

is going to go on the daisy

is going to go on the face /untitled 6

I hope they look good. I'm super excited. I got the wasp and the face yesterday. Should get the bird and the devil messenger by end of week and then maybe by the end of the next one I'll have the last two.

Now I just need to figure out where to put them all. I just moved my office into another room and I realized I have absolutely nothing on the walls in here!!

Selling artists? send me links or pictures in PM, I'm trying to find an eclectic variety.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page