2009 Google Art Contest for Students - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Google Holds FREE KIDS ART CONTEST - Scholarship Prizes

Doodle 4 Google is a competition where K-12 students are invited to play around with their homepage logo and see what new designs they come up with. This year Google is inviting U.S. kids to join in the doodling fun, around the intriguing theme "What I Wish for the World."

Now before you leave this page listen to this - CONTEST MONEY IS UP FOR GRABS!!!

The Doodle 4 Google competition is open to all U.S. residents between the ages of 5 and 18 who attend elementary and secondary schools (i.e. grades K-12) in the U.S. Doodles will be judged in the following brackets:

Kindergarten - Grade 3

Grade 4 - Grade 6

Grade 7 - Grade 9

Grade 10 - Grade 12

All students attending private schools and home schools are also eligible to participate. The 4 finalists from last year's competition are ineligible to win, but they are allowed to submit doodles and participate in this year's competition.

Judging Regions

The competition will run across 10 regions:

Region 1: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Region 2: New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania

Region 3: Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia

Region 4: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina

Region 5: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin

Region 6: Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota

Region 7: Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee

Region 8: Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas

Region 9: Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming

Region 10: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington

Judging Process:

400 State Finalists

Up to 400 doodles from across the country will be chosen by a panel of independent judges and Google employees based on which doodles they feel best represent the "What I Wish for the World" theme. In each state, 2 doodles will be selected in each grade group, meaning that each grade group and each state will be equally represented. Entries from the District of Columbia will be judged along with entries from Maryland.

40 Regional Winners

The judging panel will choose 40 top doodles as Regional Winners. In each of the ten Regions, each grade group will have one winner. These Regional Winners will be displayed in a gallery on the Google.com website. The U.S. public will then vote for the doodles they believe best capture the theme "What I Wish for the World."

4 National Finalists

An awards ceremony for the 40 Regional Winners will be held at the Google New York Office on May 20, 2009. We'll also announce the four National Finalists chosen by the U.S. public (1 per grade group).

1 National Winner

Finally, one of the four National Finalists will be awarded "National Winner of Doodle 4 Google." The National Winner's doodle will 'go live' on the Google homepage for 24 hours.

$$$$$$ PRIZES!!!! $$$$$$

The National Winner will win a $15,000 college scholarship to be used at the school of their choice, a trip to the Google New York Office, a laptop computer, and a t-shirt printed with their doodle. They'll also award the winner's school a $25,000 technology grant towards the establishment/improvement of a computer lab.

Each of the other 3 National Finalists will win a trip to the Google New York Office, a laptop computer, and a t-shirt printed with their doodle.

Each of the other 36 Regional Winners will win a trip to the Google New York Office and a t-shirt printed with their doodle.

Each of the other 360 State Finalists will receive a "Doodle 4 Google" official winner's certificate.

This year Google has added a new District Quality Participation Prize in the amount of $10,000 to the school district that most encourages high-quality participation from its schools. The District Quality Participation Prize will also be a grant that goes towards the establishment/improvement of a computer lab.

HOW TO ENTER:

Below you will find a timeline of dates that are imparitive to this competition. Under the dates you will find out how to enter:

School Registration Deadline: March 17, 2009

Doodle Entry Deadline: March 31, 2009

State Finalists and Regional Winners Notified: May 8, 2009

Online Public Vote: May 11-18, 2009

Awards Ceremony and National Winners Announced: May 20, 2009

Winning Doodle on the Google Homepage: May 21, 2009

In order to enter you will need to register. Of course it is 100% FREE (no strings attached!) You can register for the Google Competition here

After you register you will want to have you child create their "Doodle" (on paper.) The doodle can be done with crayons, paint, marker - anything! Be creative - just make sure you stick to the Wish/World theme.

After the art has been completed you will want to upload it here. If you are not familiar with the uploading process, it's easy! All you need to do is scan a copy of the doodle then select it on your computer. Don't have a scanner? Take a photo of it and upload the photo.

And finally, help your child address an envelope to:

Doodle 4 Google competition

PO Box 1379

Grand Rapids, MN 55745-1379

and send your doodle in with the forms that you see on this page.

So if you are still in school, or have a family members that are, they can sign up.

I voted in last years. Though I don't think any of the ones I voted for won. :3

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Boo! I'm too old to enter. What a great contest!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page