Needlecrafts - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Beginner

I was wondering if anybody else on here does any needlecrafting?

I started knitting and crocheting about a year ago and I'm learning to sew you can see some of the stuff I've knitted here.. I haven't got many pictures on yet as most of them are on different sites so I'll upload them all to there soon

I used to use wool to knit with aswell, but I recently saw a video about the wool trade in Australia and I was so upset I will never ever buy wool or any animal fibers again. I was actually emberassed that I didn't know about it before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Beginner

I knit and spin. I've been knitting for about four years and spinning for a little less than two. My next big project is to knit Christmas stockings for my husband and me...in the meantime, I need to work on socks and mittens to use up my sock yarn stash. My husband will only wear these bamboo-containing socks to work--says they're much more comfortable than regular cotton--so I want to try working with that sometime soon and see if bamboo really is that good.
#3 Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Beginner

you spin aswell kool I'd love to give that a go! I haven't tried bamboo yet neither, but I've heard it's supposed to be really nice to work with and you can get it in so many different textures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I can do some basic knitting - regular scarves, that sort of thing. I got the knitting Stitch n' ***** book and it's been helpful. I think I'm going to get her crocheting book because I'm having a really hard time teaching myself to crochet.
#5 Old 06-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Beginner

I've been wanting that Stitch 'n' ***** knitting book for ages, is it good?

I have that SNB:HH crochet book actullay and it's really good it has some fun projects in it and everything you need to know to learn all the basic things It does have a few errors in some patterns though so make sure you print out the errata for it when you get it so you don't get as confused as I was at first lol!
#6 Old 06-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I knit and crochet. There are actually threads further back in this sub-forum that talk about it, too.

I was already a vegan when I learned how to knit, so I have never knit with wool (or silk, cashmere, alpaca, mohair, merino, angora... there are so many different animal fibers out there). Unfortunately, the animal products do dominate the world of fiber arts. But non-animal fibers are starting to gain popularity.

I've tried two types of bamboo yarn so far. One was the South West Trading Company, which I found a little scratchy, but beautiful. The other kind, which I adore and is incredibly soft, is Sirdar's Just Bamboo.
#7 Old 06-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Beginner

kool I didn't know there already was a thread for this sorry
#8 Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Beginner

I just found this kool knitting book called "No sheep for you" by Amy Singer has anybody got it?
#9 Old 06-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

No need to apologize, I was just letting you know in case you wanted to go back and read them.

And yes, I love No Sheep for You. There's actually a knit-a-long for it here: http://www.nosheepkal.blogspot.com/ I've made Tomato (which is a short sleeved shirt made from organic cotton) and I'm working on a shawl called Tuscany (using acrylic yarn, the pattern asks for seasilk).
#10 Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Beginner

ooh that KAL looks like fun! now I deffinitly want that book the patterns look ace and it's nice to not have to worry about what "yarn" you have to use as a substite for animal fibers as they won't use any animal fibers in the patterns
#11 Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM

I am a beginner knitter. I know the very very basics, such as casting on, knitting, and purling. So I basically can just do scarves and square things, lol. I have yet to be able to create really fancy things like those pictures. It sort of makes me sad when I see all these skilled knitted masterpieces. I just wish I knew someone physically that knew how to knit because I like someone directing me.
#12 Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Hi tabby, you'll get there soon just find a pattern that you like and go for it I only started a year ago and I've found that that's the best way for me to learn new things, by just going for it, it's not as scary as it seems

I learn best the visual way aswell and I found this website a while ago that has little videos showing you how to do basically every knitting technique it's called KnittingHelp
#13 Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Lol, yeah. I've been trying. I like the knit-knit-purl-purl pattern and the one that looks braided (knit/purl repetitive). I'll check out that site (I'm at work so video stuff does not show here).

By the way, love your signature!
#14 Old 07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Beginner

thanks I actually saw it in one of the threads on here about the most annoying/stupid lines meateaters come up with and I asked her if it was ok to use and she said yeah so

Do you know of any good free knitting pattern sites? If not then I can give you some links if you want
#15 Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM

I saw some when I was searching so I will look again for some patterns for you.
#16 Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Beginner

I just meant that if you don't know of any sites that have great free patterns then I do and I'll give you the links

Knitting Pattern Centra has some great ones

Knitty
(my fav).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page