Knit and Crocheted projects - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a few things I finished recently:

1) Knit shawl (called Clapotis, from knitty.com). It took a long time to do, but I love how it turned out. It can be a shawl or a scarf, since it has a curl to it.

2) Crocheted hat and scarf, from Stitch and Btch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (there's supposed to be an i in the b word, but I don't think the filters will let it pass). Really easy to do, though not for the uber-cold. More for fall or early spring.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Beginner

Those look great!! My mom owns a yarn store so I took up knitting a couple of years ago, but I can't crochet to save my life...
#3 Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I crochet - am making a baby blanket right now. If I can remember to, I will take a photo of when done.

I am also making a Queen sized blanket. It is half done and I am tired of it, but one day I'll finish it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

countrydreamer - Thanks. crocheting is hard to get at first, but really easy once you learn the basics.

veggiemath - you should definitely post a picture when it's done.
#5 Old 10-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Wow, those are really nice! I'm still trying to learn how to crochet.
#6 Old 10-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm starting to knit. I'm currenly working on my 3rd project, a scarf and hat for my son.
#7 Old 10-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

a couple of days ago i ordered the books stitch 'n ***** knitting and quick crochet: huge hooks. i was hoping to learn enough in time to make a few things for christmas.
#8 Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM

i just taught myself to knit like a week ago, and i'm working on satisfying my husbands urgings for a new hat. the pattern is on knitty, called "typhus." it's soooo easy and neat-looking too! his is blue and white, and i was thinking of making a pink and black one for myself.
#9 Old 11-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

a couple of days ago i ordered the books stitch 'n ***** knitting and quick crochet: huge hooks. i was hoping to learn enough in time to make a few things for christmas.

how funny I saw this thread. One of my friends knits and my plan today was to go to Powell's books & pick up the stitch & ***** knitting book and some needles & yarn... yay!
#10 Old 11-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

amy, i think you'll enjoy the book! i haven't gotten very far into the projects but the book is fun and the illustrations are pretty easy to follow. i like a lot of the projects that are in it, as well.

i know she has another stitch 'n ***** book out - i think it's stitch 'n ***** nation.
#11 Old 11-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished crocheting my very own gothic baby blanket. It's purple and black, I'll have to post some pics if I ever find my cam....

Funny, this is the first project I've ever actually finished, and I've been crocheting for 5 years.
#12 Old 11-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

amy, i think you'll enjoy the book! i haven't gotten very far into the projects but the book is fun and the illustrations are pretty easy to follow. i like a lot of the projects that are in it, as well.

i know she has another stitch 'n ***** book out - i think it's stitch 'n ***** nation.

thanks jenna. I bought the book, yarn, and needles today.

Knitting is harder than it looks!! But I think I have the hang of the basic knit stitch... a bit more practice, and I'll be on to purl!
#13 Old 11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I can only do a single crochet, and a double crochet, and make hats and scarves and cat toys. I guess I could make a blanket but it would take forever. I haven't been able to find a book that shows you more than 3 vague pictures then goes into secret code that I don't understand and my Nana refuses to teach me anymore. Woe is me. :P

Your stuff, however, is cool!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 11-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

The stitch & ***** book explains the code! And has a ton of pictures.

She has one for crocheting too
#15 Old 11-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Banned

I have trouble following a pattern, when I crochet.

I can knit, and I even have a knitting maching, but all I have done on it so far are afgans. I think it would make great shrugs. I'll have to try it again.
#16 Old 11-26-2006, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I can only do a single crochet, and a double crochet, and make hats and scarves and cat toys. I guess I could make a blanket but it would take forever. I haven't been able to find a book that shows you more than 3 vague pictures then goes into secret code that I don't understand and my Nana refuses to teach me anymore. Woe is me. :P

Your stuff, however, is cool!

Thanks.

I had a really hard time before I bought the Happy Hooker book. It's great for learning or expanding on what you know, there are lots illustrations and descriptions, and you learn different stitches.

The best part of buying Stitch and ***** books, however, has got to be telling my mother the titles. I know a part of her wants to send me to my room for saying the b-word. I already have The Happy Hooker and The Knitter's Handbook, so she's getting me Stitch and ***** Nation for Christmas.

Another good book is The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crochet.
#17 Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why would you put such a big effort into something you can pick up at a thrift store for like a buck?.
#18 Old 11-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why would you put such a big effort into something you can pick up at a thrift store for like a buck?.

For me, it gives me somthing to do, keeps my hands busy if I have to sit still for a while. (mom of 2, when I get to sit down I feel less than productive, LOL)

It's also a sense of pride in what you can make with your own 2 hands. When making something for someone else, it is time and effort spent, not just money, and I personally enjoy recieving gifts like that, that people put such time and effort into. (the blankets that were handmade for my kids are the ones we still keep as they grow)

They can become heirlooms, passed on to our children's children. And that is just plain cool.
#19 Old 11-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's hard to find stuff at thrift stores that both fits and looks good (and the blankets that make it to thrifts stores tend to be ugly, awful creations. I wouldn't even buy most of them to salvage the yarn). But actually, the main point is that crocheting and knitting is fun. Think of it as an art form. You're creating, you're choosing the pattern, the fibers, the colour, etc. You can also modify patterns to get exactly what you want.

Have you ever tried knitting or crocheting? Or did you make friendship bracelets as a teenager? There's just something wonderful about creating something on your own. It's also great for de-stressing, or if you like to have something to do with your hands while sitting, like bekajoi said. I'll sometimes just take out some yarn and a crochet hook and make circles, or hyperbolic plane models, to relax and have something to do while thinking.
#20 Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because I like crafting and creating. I can't really go a day without working on something artsy. You can't get that sense of satisfaction by buying someone elses work.
#21 Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh. I wanted to also say that the quick crochet: huge hooks book is really good for beginners (like me) in that the projects are pretty quick, even faster than knitting with really large needles. so you can make a lot. i'm getting some crochet hooks* this week and i'm going to try it out.
#22 Old 11-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I did try knitting and I lost patience quickly.

What I'm getting is 1) you enjoy the process as much as the end result and 2) thrift stores don't have the quality.
#23 Old 11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Eclipse, learning patience is one of the cool things you learn when knitting/crocheting. And I think you have it right with your 1) & 2). Thing is, not EVERY creative outlet is for EVERY creative person; you have to find you own niche. Some people cook, others draw (like you!), others write, etc. For those that create, the act of creation and the pleasure they get viewing their finished work is fantastic. For others who don't have the calling, they prefer going to restaurants, galleries, or Barnes & Nobles. Still, you never know what you'll enjoy until you give it a fair shake.
#24 Old 11-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I love knitting while watching tv (unless I am watching something subtiteld). I feel like I am not wasting as much time. The only thing is, I cannot purl for the life of me or crochet for that matter. I taught myself to knit from a book some years ago. I have made numerous hats, scarfs and baby blankets. Does anyone here weave? I have two looms for which I make throws. Right now I am knitting a shawl and then I am making a bean bag set for my nephew and a purse for my neice. If only I could purl I would try a sweater.
#25 Old 11-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

One of these videos might help you learn how to purl:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...iques/purl.php

It took me ages. :P I had one of those Knit This! packs and a video, and they kept changing the perspectives on the woman's hands. So I'd be thinking "okay, do this with my right hand..." and then they'd change the angle completely, and I'd be lost.
#26 Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

" Thing is, not EVERY creative outlet is for EVERY creative person; you have to find you own niche. Some people cook, others draw (like you!),"

Actually I would have been just as happy to hire someone else to rebuild my portfolio. I am not doing this for a creative outllook, I'm doing this because I need a job and am trying to use the talents given to me to aquire

one.
#27 Old 11-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

So I guess you're just not the type of person that likes to create, then, Eclipse.
#28 Old 11-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

It took me ages. :P I had one of those Knit This! packs and a video, and they kept changing the perspectives on the woman's hands. So I'd be thinking "okay, do this with my right hand..." and then they'd change the angle completely, and I'd be lost.

That's funny, that's the same site my friend sent me when I told her I was thinking about taking up knitting.

Last night, I finally got the purl stitch and can do it fairly well now.

I tried ribbing several times last night and gave up! I think I got the jist of it, but my stitches were so uneven! My knitting shop has Thursday nights open to knitters, for help & advice... and champagne
#29 Old 11-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Thanks, I'll give it a try!!!
#30 Old 11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you so much, Elena99!!!!!!!!! I can purl now. I taught myself from a book, and the pictures were not the best. Now I have many projects in mind. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page