Knit and Crocheted projects - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad to hear it.

Amy: I'm jealous, we only have one yarn store here, and it's not so much a yarn store as it is a craft store and cafe with about 2 dozen balls of non-vegan, expensive, handspun yarn. :P At least we have Micheal's Arts and Crafts, and department stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I showed these here before, but these are purses that I made for my mother and sister. My sister's is the one with skulls. She saw the chart for skull potholders in the Stitch and ***** crochet book, and described how she wanted the purse. That's what came of it; it's more of a tote than a purse, she puts everything in there. There are 4 skulls on the back too, and it's lined with brown fabric and has a pocket. The strap is lined with an old fabric belt (not shown in picture). The yarn is acrylic camoflage, and acrylic satin touch white.

For my mother's, she wanted something like the Exchange Bag in the same book, but in taupe. And then when I was almost done, she suggested that I add in the blue. Since it's lighter, the strap is just lined with a ribbon to keep it from stretching. The ribbon goes all the way inside the bag, and it's lined with... I think it's just white fabric. White or beige. Yarn is Bernat cotton.

I made them in May and June.
LL
LL
#33 Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I taught myself to knit just over a year ago. Have done very basic things so far like scarves and a few purses.

One of the projects I really enjoy is making little kitty blankets, which I donate to my local animal shelter for use in the cat cages. I can experiment with different stitches and yarn, because the kitties don't care if the stitch isn't 'just right' or the colors are odd. And it's one of those 'no-brainer' projects that I can do while watching TV or a movie and not have to worry about counting stitches. Mostly, I've been using the cheap acrylic yarn because I found some at a really good price, and it's durable with all the washings the blankets will experience at the shelter. I've attached a little photo of some of the blankies.

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Those are nice, greenheart. That's awesome that you do it for animal shelter cats.
#35 Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 AM

This is a bit unreleated, but what are your feelings about yarn? As a vegan knitter I don't want to pick up wool yarns and the like, but I also don't want to unwittingly support unfair labor practices by getting cheaply made synthetic fibers. Does anyone know of yarns that do the least harm?
#36 Old 02-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, natural fibers like cotton, linen, flax, and bamboo are probably better if that's what you're looking for. You can look for recycled or organic. There's also soysilk yarn, which is made from the byproducts of the tofu industry.

I'm struggling a little with acrylic. I like it, and don't think it's all bad, but I've heard that it has an impact on the environment. I've never seen any writing that shows just what that impact is.
#37 Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Soysilk yarn! They really can make anything out of beans. I'll see what other info I can find out about acrylics.
#38 Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 AM

#39 Old 02-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I have that website bookmarked, too. When I have more money I'm going to treat myself to soysilk or bamboo yarn.
#40 Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Bumping this thread to show off my latest projects. Meant to do so for earlier ones, too, but forgot (oops!).

Anyway, I finished 2 hats recently, a striped one for myself and a simple one with a knitted flower for a friend. Here's the latter:

[attachment=5428urple hat1.jpg]

And me modelling with both:

[attachment=5429:mewithhat1.jpg]

[attachment=5430:mewithhat2.jpg]
LL
LL
LL
#41 Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Aw, those are cute! Great job!

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#42 Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 PM

I just wanted to mention there is a new knitting book out by Amy Singer called 'No Sheep for You'. It includes some patterns that use silk, but she also uses cotton, linen, bamboo...I'm borrowing it from the library before I buy. Anyone looked through it?
#43 Old 05-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I started another thread about this, actually: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=69759

And you posted there, too. Maybe you forgot about it? Anyway, I've made Tomato from the book, I'll attach it. I love the sweater, it's made with super soft organic cotton, and it's top-down construction with no seams. It fits great, I wear it with a white cami underneath since the neckline is a little sexy for work.
LL
#44 Old 05-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Anyway, I've made Tomato from the book, I'll attach it. I love the sweater, it's made with super soft organic cotton, and it's top-down construction with no seams. It fits great, I wear it with a white cami underneath since the neckline is a little sexy for work.

Ooooh, that's nice!! What brand of organic cotton did you use? Do you find it warm or cool? I'm trying to come up with ideas for warm, non-wool items for a friend who's allergic to wool (was thinking about getting said book, but I'd appreciate opinions more).
#45 Old 05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

It's Blue Sky Alpacas's Dyed Cotton, the company is Blue Sky Alpacas http://www.blueskyalpacas.com/yarns.php

The yarn is thick, so it's warm, but it depends on what climate your friend lives in, too. It's not as warm as I imagine wool is (I've never actually worn wool, so I don't know). I think you should buy the book, it's very informative and helps with learning how to select non-wool yarns for patterns intended for wool. It also has great non-wool patterns. Actually, if anyone wants to see works in process, go here: http://www.nosheepkal.blogspot.com/ Lots of people are posting there. There's also a video, if you scroll down enough, with Amy Singer where there are models wearing some of the sweaters.
#46 Old 05-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info!
#47 Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 AM

Blue Sky Alpaca cotton is wonderful. I just bought a skien of the organic and it's so soft.

Right now I'm crocheting the Sweet Pea Shawl from the Happy Hooker in a white cotton. I'm one shell short in the first row and have no idea how to proceed (this is only my second crochet project)
#48 Old 07-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with a couple of things I made some time ago as gifts. The first is a shawl I knitted as a birthday present for my friend, which you can see here and here's another photo of me wearing it. I also made a silk lacy shawl for my mum, but I'm afraid the picture isn't very good.

Post your latest creations!!
#49 Old 07-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well as soon as I'm done with the scarf that I've been working on since... October of '06 I'll post a pic! LOL I love making things but hate following directions... But! I got this great book calle Scarf Style and another called... Simply Scarves (I think...) that actually look like I can follow the patterns. That lacy shawl is awesome! Did you freestyle or was it a pattern?
#50 Old 07-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYet View Post

Well as soon as I'm done with the scarf that I've been working on since... October of '06 I'll post a pic! LOL I love making things but hate following directions... But! I got this great book calle Scarf Style and another called... Simply Scarves (I think...) that actually look like I can follow the patterns. That lacy shawl is awesome! Did you freestyle or was it a pattern?

Most of my knitting is meant as gifts for friends, so I've got plenty of motivation to finish what I'm making . Case in point, I'm now working on a shrug for myself and it's taking me ages! Glad you liked the lacy shawl, I used the classic Old Shale pattern (aka Feathers and Fans), with a garter stitch border.
#51 Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

I need to dust off my needles and start on Christmas presents.

Last year I made everyone slippers,wrist warmers and made scarves for charity.Speaking of which,anyone have any leads on charities to donate to this year?
#52 Old 11-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Since Christmas is so close, I thought I'd post some more things I've made, and, hopefully, more people will post their finished items, so we can be inspired by each other's craftiness!

Here's a scarf I made for my bf's mum: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/...0775ba.jpg?v=0

And here's a photo of the (unblocked) scarf I made for myself: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2172/...c0509d.jpg?v=0

And, finally, the colourful sleeves I made: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2142/...424dce.jpg?v=0
#53 Old 11-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Nice! Those sleeves are awesome. What yarn did you use for them?
#54 Old 11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

Nice! Those sleeves are awesome. What yarn did you use for them?

Cheers! The pattern is Hug shrug from Magknits, and I used Lorna's Laces Swirl Chunky in Watercolour. It took about 2 1/2 skeins.

Yesterday, I finished my headband. I mainly knit it as protection for my ears against the cold! Here's a couple of photos: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/...212372.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2029/...548c75.jpg?v=0
#55 Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

If you like headbands, maybe you could try doing the Calorimetry: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/...lorimetry.html

There are also tons of them on craftster.org, to get more pictures, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page