Art is about immaturity- Art flame. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

In my mom's own words: art is for twelve years olds.

I'm supposed to hide my portfolio and keep it secret that I'm an artist. This is because artists are immature. It makes me it just furious.

I accepted that hardly anyone will hire you to do artwork so I made some scafices, I quit doing any artwork for well over a year so I could focus on getting a job sucessfully. I did a small amount of artwork while I had a toe injuury and couldn't walk and then went back to taking along a file everytime I go places so I can draw everytime people keep me waiting and I get crap like this.

I do not shove my artwork in peoples faces, but if they show interest, I love to show it. I'm not like here's my awesome great super talent and here's my masterpieces....I'm kinda like here's the ones I like. I have no other real talents and who knows I might get discovered and hired so why the hell not?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

If that makes you happy you should continue to do what you're doing, IMO.

I bet there are plenty of other artists who do it for pleasure and not as a career, maybe you can meet some others and find how they promote themselves or create opportunities, if that interests you.

Good for you I say!
#3 Old 09-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

I concur!

ETA: with hamilton. Not your mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Even if you ended up in a job not related to the arts, why would you need to stop or hide your art? I totally don't get that. Most people have interests outside of their careers... if you love it, why stop?
#5 Old 09-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Beginner

I have never listened to my parent on what she has to say aboutr my art.

I enjoy surrealism, psychedelic art work...

My moms tells me its stupid, weird, disquisting.. and whatever else.

There will be many people who give you their opinions of your art. And if youre going to care on what these people think, your art will die. Your art is just that, your art. No one can touch it, harm it... every time i tattoo my self, my mom says no more please... please peter no more lol. I just tell her " im gonna be covered mom... COVERED " lol

Be strong sista
#6 Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Beginner

What i ment to say was, people will try to knock you down, with their opinions. Negative ones. Forget that stuff... they just jelous! heh

Dont stop art, it may not land you a job, but it will soothe your soul. Art is all i know, im going to persue it with a degree. I dont even know where it will lead me, but all i know is, that I will do what i love. I dont care for money. I just want a little food in my tummy and a shack to live in =) Id rather be poor, and live happy than work as a slave for someone elses dream and have tons of money, and be a consumer zombiod monkey.
#7 Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a new one for me...art equating immaturity lol. Sorry about your mom. Easier said then done but try to ignore her if you can.
#8 Old 09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Forgot to mention, yes it is the kind of art I do. I draw cartoons. OK I guess this is a factor. Yes I don't do the pretty go into a muesuem serious stuff.
#9 Old 09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Sure, I can see how a full-time artist might not immediately conjur up the respect of an investment banker, but how many of those investment bankers go home at the end of the day and do a little art to blow off steam?

The world would be a very boring place if no one expressed artistry.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#10 Old 09-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I just hope this viewpoint is not widespread because this is such a hard career as it is. Me, I don't want to be fighting poverty for the rest of my life and live with the looming threats of homelessness. So I do care about money and want an income. Lack of income really limits your lifestyle.

So I gave up doing what I love for a better life, one that will lead to financial security and will allow me to have my own place instead of being stuck in an affortable housing appartment.

Not that I don't keep to intend holding out for the career I really love like...I dunno hundreds of other people who are in the wrong career but do it for the money.
#11 Old 09-13-2006, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

If you draw well, it's actually not difficult to find people who will pay you to do it. In order to draw them as well as you'd need to, you need to spend every scrap of free time doing it.

I draw dragons, knights, spaceships and robots and I've had companies pay me pretty well to do work for them. I'm very young and have only just started, but am in the process of securing a full time job in London to do this on a salaried, rather than freelance basis.

In other words, screw her as far as this is concerned. She's wrong wrong wrong. If you love it enough to make doing art your whole life (and you'll need to), all you'll need is time before you've got the skills to make it your career.

If you want some excellent resources concerning how to go about this, go to www.conceptart.org/forums. I can't express how utterly amazing and incredible these forums are for commercial artists. They can be brutally honest at times, but they know what it takes to be a real working artist and they'll help you if you've got the will to do it. If it weren't for conceptart.org I have no idea where I'd be right now, but you can bet it wouldn't be anywhere even remotely approaching as good as it is now.

And seriously, I've told people about it before and they've just brushed it off, but if you want to do art for a living *go*to*that*site* make an account and put all you have into making a name for yourself there and learn all you can. My username there is Tully.. feel free to PM me for help of any kind.

Good, smart artists don't starve. Work at becoming as good an artist as you possibly can and the rest will tend to follow (not automatically, but getting good is the hard part). Conceptart.org will tell you how.

On another note, could we see a drawing or two of yours? And how old are you? It doesn't *really* matter, but I'm just curious.
#12 Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Astarte. As she is, a professional artist, I'm proof you can earn your living doing what you love.
#13 Old 09-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't believe a mother would say that to her child! Someone must've crushed her dreams at an early age.

I would think that there's a lot of work out there for a 'cartoon' artist. If its something you love, go for it!
#14 Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Many magazines and newspapers would love to have a talented cartoonist and/or graphic designer on staff. What do you think makes USAtoday fun to read and the Wall Street Journal something your dad reads for information only? Graphics, designs and drawings.

You may not get to do as much of what you want in the publishing world, but it is a way to do what you like and get paid. You can always do your more freewheeling artistry on the side.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#15 Old 09-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

That's really awesome Astarte, thanks. I have some stuff posted under Eclipsica at Deviantart. I hope by brutally honest they are sensitive umm...giving constructive criticism. Because I've put all my "egg replacers" in one basket before and had the job crumble, I always have at least two job attempts going at once. I used to be involved in graphic design and there wasn't enough demand for it so I quit and moved on to other things.
#16 Old 09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

As a freelancer it's tough, and you have to be careful not to hang your heart on any one job, because as you know they fall through, that's just part of the biz. Often it's either feast or famine, when things are going well and you're in demand, it's tempting to take all the jobs, because who knows - others might fall through later. But if you overextend yourself, your life and work will suffer, it's a difficult balancing act.
#17 Old 09-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

eclipse, deviantart is actually just about the worst possible place to go if you want actual help with your work. You'll generally get "OMFG that's awesome" or nothing. It's a good place to sell prints (I know a guy who makes a fair bit of money at it) and get your art seen, but that's about it.

Conceptart.org has a rep for being honest... if your art needs work in places (and lets face it, everybody's does) they'll let you know. The vast majority of people do it with being helpful in mind, though as with any place there are always a few *******s.

Taking criticism in anything isn't easy but it's an important skill. I find the place helps to develop a thicker skin. There's a lot of rejection in the art world and I find it better to get that skin in a safe environment rather than in the real world. It's a community created so that everybody who puts something into it can come out a better artist.

Ludi: I agree
#18 Old 09-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

In my mom's own words: art is for twelve years olds.

Try as I might, I am failing to see why you care.
#19 Old 09-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

"Try as I might, I am failing to see why you care."

Lack of a reliable source of income has the negative effect of decreasing self enpowerment.

If I went on with self enpowerment and disowned my parents, I'd be long on the streets so they use their opinions to control me because my lack of self enpowerment creates a go homeless or be be controlled situation.

So whenever I do something or have a lifestyle they disagree with, it's always the threats.
#20 Old 09-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't suppose you could find a job and/or move out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page