I was rejected :( (couldn't get into a workshop) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

So a couple months back I applied to the creative writing class that's available through my school. It is the only creative writing class that I know of in my area so I was really excited about it. It's limited enrollment so you need to submit a portfolio and a statement on why you want in and all that. I took this awful english class last year for the sole purpose of getting into the fiction work shop (it was a prerequisite). I spent several months putting together a great (or so I thought) portfolio to submit.

And I was rejected.

I know I shouldn't let it get me down too much but in public school and high school all my teachers thought I was super talented and I was considered one of the best poets or whatever. And now in Uni it's like I'm not good enough or something. It's hard to deal with. I only bring it up now because every so often I'll overhear someone talking about their fiction workshop, and I get mad and wonder what's so great about them that they got in and I didn't. I still haven't got the portfolio back, so I have no feedback on what was wrong with it. Anyways sorry, I'm just disappointed and needed to rant.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear about this. I can understand your disappointment. Now is the time to try again! We ALL have been rejected before and many of us have to try several times before being accepted. Keep at it kiddo, with a little talent and alot of drive, you'll make it.
#3 Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

So sorry your sad.

Many artists were rejected before making it. Everything happens for a reason, you'll figure that out later. For now allow yourself to be sad, then breath deeply and continue chasing your dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

VB has some creative writing threads, why not join and resurrect those for practice?.......

Think of rejection as nothing you need worry about, its only the warped perception of another human being trying to shake you up/put you down. If they wanna feel superior and be elitist, so be it. Your talents may be so unique, that noone rightly knows it when they see it
#5 Old 10-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Aww I'm so sorry you were rejected. Those people have no taste!

Just keep pluggin' away!

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

Many artists were rejected before making it. Everything happens for a reason, you'll figure that out later. For now allow yourself to be sad, then breath deeply and continue chasing your dream.

Thats the truth! It seems like every famous artist has their stories of rejection.

Starblossom, I had my own rejection back when I was in college. It was really hard because they were rejecting the only thing I ever felt I was good at. It made it worse that people who I thought had very poor design skills got in. It was something dumb technical thing. Anyway ... I came back a year later with straight As, earned the largest scholarship the school of arch had ever had, and ended up being accepted not just into the regular program, but into their 'elite' studio. If you believe in something and want to see it happen, you can do it. Don't give up!
#7 Old 10-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanx guys! I guess it is rather subjective of what constitutes as good...I remember my senior year of highschool I submitted poems to our little art/lit magazine and they didn't publish any of mine, but they published a bunch of poems that I personally thought were rather...well, not bad of course, but amateurish, and they were all poems of the editors' friends (yeah, no favouritism there at all). Ohh I was mad.

But Jinga I guess I'm sorta like you, since writing is the only thing that I felt I was good at. It's what people have always known me for. So it's such a slap in the face to be rejected.

goth: I thought of submitting some stories to the VB writing threads but I remember there was a problem with one of them. I am very touchy and I guess territorial about my writing..lol..

But I found a few openwords and open mic nights and such in my area that I'm gonna check out.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page