Are there any artists here? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Banned

Hi,

I'm Monika. I'm a Graphic Designer here in Mississippi. I also draw, can do watercolor painting, i've done paper making, made coil pots (yarn), relief print making, and some pottery. Tell me what kind of art that you do. I would like to have a discussion. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm a professional artist also. I make artificial animal doubles for motion pictures, also I make puppets, and animal costumes. Non-professionally, I sculpt and paint (acrylics).
#3 Old 09-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

animal costumes, hehehe @ Ludi

I sometimes draw a lot but (on computer mainly) but don't have my [strike]bloody[/strike] GIMP, and at the rate I do things I doubt I ever will but if you use Gimp Monika or anyone else, I'd be interested to see what you've achieved with it, or anyone else for that matter, no matter which the art format or tool.. word.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Ankle Biter

I'm a painter - I paint still lifes and seascapes in oil. I show my work in local art shows and have some in a gallery in another town in Virginia.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 09-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of you Poppy (but not ) you remind of vber= "lol" who I proceeded to call "lollipop"....

She's new to VB and lives in Wales, and artist for a living
#6 Old 09-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

animal costumes, hehehe @ Ludi

Not "Furry" - ahem!
#7 Old 09-10-2005, 10:56 AM

I just did a self portrait in oils of myself last night. I called in Somber in Red. If my digital cam was working I'd take a pic of it.

Today I'm starting something with gouache watercolors. It's a tree I took a picture of. Really bleak looking in the fall with looming skys in the background. The tree has great shape to it. Like some old piece of something living that keeps hanging on despite it's adversitys. I can relate to it. I hope it turns out.
#8 Old 09-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

VA~goth~UK,

I don't know what Gimp is haha. I draw. I can illustrat on the computer. I do cars. Lot of stuff. The programs i work with are, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Quark Xpress, and Dreamweaver for webdesign. I want to learn more programs, so I can be full equipted and ready to work .

I design business cards, letterheads envelopes, Ads, C D jacket design. I can design a lot of stuff.

Oh, I work on a Macintosh computer .
#9 Old 09-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

mostly pottery here ... coiling, slabs, wheelthrowing ...

and i don't have my experience with sculpting but that's something i love as well
#10 Old 09-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I write. Not published (yet when I get my novel done it will be published darn it!). I don't have the skill for the visual arts.
#11 Old 09-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

Speaking of you Poppy (but not ) you remind of vber= "lol" who I proceeded to call "lollipop"....

She's new to VB and lives in Wales, and artist for a living

Hope she says "hi!" here!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 09-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Stained Glass here. And I am looking forward to a pottery class that I signed up for end of this month.

Alene
#13 Old 09-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Where do you learn stained glass? Are there classes?
#14 Old 09-10-2005, 10:34 PM

There is a stained class studio near my home in Canoga Park Calif. It is called the Dragonfly and they have wonderful teachers and tons of beautiful glass and they sell all of the supplies needed. I took the class with my mom about 10 years ago and it's very addicting!

Alene
#15 Old 09-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I do 20 watercolour/inks for ebay every week as a way to pay the bills. You can see more about these at www.pugcasso.com . They are fun but sometimes I feel like apologising for them since they are mostly cute dog characatures LOL . Anyway doing these things allows me to have more freedom with my canvas painting.

I also have been doing more and more (finally after not doing as many after starting the above-mentioned things) of my acrylics on canvas and wood relief carvings. More on these can be seen at www.dkingdesign.com

I'm currently working on a 60"x40" "abstract" cityscape of Halifax NS (my city) for a cityscape show in October. I have a month to do it hehe. It's even got Theodore Tugboat in it hehe.
#16 Old 09-11-2005, 12:20 AM

Those are really great paintings!
#17 Old 09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I make beaded jewerly. It's more of a hobby though
#18 Old 09-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Part-time illustrator right now. Hopefully with getting more work, I can make that fulltime in a few months.
#19 Old 09-13-2005, 05:47 AM

I do stained glass as well and yes it is very addictive. people keep telling me to go professional and sell it but well then it wouldnt be fun anymore. I of course now that i am vegan am wondering if any of the supplies i use are not vegan .... do you know treehuger? i love this post - i love art !

Nikki
#20 Old 09-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Beginner

I draw in ink for the most part.

chelovek.deviantart.com
#21 Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

David, I guess you find ebay an easy way to sell your work? That's got to be so much better than going to art fairs. Has it worked out well for you in general? You say it pays the bills, so it must be working. I'm always happy to see people who can make a living doing what they love. You seem to be very prolific!
#22 Old 09-13-2005, 10:05 AM

I paint - acrylics mostly. Lately I have been working more on "functional art" to pay the bills.....get alot of commission work for canvas floorcloths, wall murals, handpainted furniture, that sort of thing. This past weekend I was at a show/sale....our local Arts Counsel asked me to do a paint-by-number mural for kids to work on at our county's Art and Wine Festival. It was alot of fun....and they also waived my booth rent for the Art fair, so I made some decent money.

I also make woodland dollhouses.....I absolutely love them. I go out into the woods behind our house for supplies - all the furniture is made of twigs, the roofs are moss, the light fixtures are seed pods. I hope to find a market for them when I have a few more finished.

And according to my husband, our house has become my canvas as well....I keep painting the rooms in bolder colors with unique effects. He never knows what he will come home to! LOL!
#23 Old 09-13-2005, 10:28 AM

Hi Nikki, Honestly I have never thought about the supplies being vegan or not. Humm..thats a good question. I use a little brush for the flux and I am wondering if it could be animal hair. And I should see what the cutting oil consistes of. I am going to check out my supplies right now!
#24 Old 09-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

mostly pottery here ... coiling, slabs, wheelthrowing ...

and i don't have my experience with sculpting but that's something i love as well

Heyyyyy, great. My sister is a potter. She's good too. She was wondering if there were any potters on there. She's not a member though.

Monika
#25 Old 09-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

Part-time illustrator right now. Hopefully with getting more work, I can make that fulltime in a few months.

Wow, I love illustration. What programs do you use? I use illustrator, but I can draw too. Can I see your work? Pleassssssse. I'm on my knees. Pleassssssse. Haha. I would love to see them .
#26 Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned

Wow Dk_art,

That's a great Idea. Selling your stuff on ebay. I'm gonna try to do that. Wow, I love that. Cool.

Oh BTW, I love your work .
#27 Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I paint with acrylics, mostly abstract...I like to sketch and use charcoal as well...I also make beaded jewelry.
#28 Old 09-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I can draw a mean stick figure.

But my friend Joanie is a lampworker. Seeing the making of handmade glass sculptures is something else. Here's her website.
#29 Old 09-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

"David, I guess you find ebay an easy way to sell your work? That's got to be so much better than going to art fairs. Has it worked out well for you in general?"

------------------------

A little over 3 years ago I just did my acrylics on canvas and mostly for a gallery downtown and also some local people (commissions and such). I was looking at ebay and seeing these people doing smaller faster works (even sketches) and selling many to add up to over $1000 US per month or more for these people. At the time the Canadian/US exchange rate was like 1.55 so I made $155 CND per $100 US so it was quite a bit better than now (paypal;s current CND/USexchange rate is like 1.17) .

Anyway, I just decided to start some smaller quicker things for ebay and they started selling so I continued. Gradually I got into a niche of mostly stylized dog and cat and some scene watercolour/inks (now adding some birds too). They are always different but it's sort of like a continuous variation on a theme (I do about 20 a week ... 5 a day over 4 days so maybe 800 a year ... yikes!). Anyway for a while they sortof took over and I didn't do much canvas paintings at all (I think I needed a break anyway) but now I'm starting to do quite a bit of my acrlycs on canvas as well as these 20 smaller items a week (just the watercolour paper unframed shipped in a jifi rigi-mailer so no framing involved). The good thing about doing something that is less expensive and sells on ebay consistantly is that I can start raising my prices for my canvas paintings for the gallery downtown. Also it allows you to not worry about making money from the canvas paintings.

I could do more with how many people emailing about commissions but after 20 a week I just really need to not do any of them for several days (and would rather spend time on my canvas paintings).

Packing / emailing / photographing and fixing photos and putting them all on on ebay (also in my web editor program I have an html template I designed so I just replace the photo link and the title text and copy and paste that html in the ebay description field ... I can put an auction on in like 2 minutes or less. By this time ,I have already adjusted all my photos and uploaded them to a folder on my webspace with that week's date so I just copy the links from there) takes up some additional time but once you get a system down it's quicker.

I find it harder to sell canvas ones on ebay since I want higher prices and also ebay gets a bigger fee for a bigger starting bid (and I can get better prices in the gallery downtown). SOme people do really reallly (really!!) well on ebay with their canvas paintings. Check out this person;

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtherawartist

I see she's doing giclee archival prints too and also sells originals for $100's of dollars.

ANyway, I'd suggest if anyone wants to try , smaller quicker items are great (mine start at $14.95 US but average around $24 with some going much higher).

Hope that all makes sense. I'm really tired as I was working on acrylics quite a while today including trying to finish this painting that has been around since 1997 LOL.
#30 Old 09-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all that info David! Very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page