VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Hobbies, Arts, and Crafts (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/56-hobbies-arts-crafts/)
-   -   Art Students: Art Portfolio (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/56-hobbies-arts-crafts/30014-art-students-art-portfolio.html)

Vicky 03-03-2005 01:48 PM

we have a few art students, or art students to be here (if i'm not mistaking), so lets talk about portfolios

what i'm interested in is taking pictures of my work myself: what kind of light, what kind of film, what background to use, etc. i tried looking it up online but didn't find anything, if anyone has some luck with that, let me know, i'd be more than happy !

also maybe we can share some good info and help each other pick pieces ...

if you alread have a portfolio plz share your experience - what did you do ? did you take your work to a place that does it ? how much was it ? did you do it yourself ? etc.

*hopes to get some replies*

lollypop 03-03-2005 05:02 PM

I had a portfolio and need a new one to apply for college this september, i do photography so my tips are

- if you do photography black and white looks better in gloss

- Mount photographs on a simple not to busy background otherwise will deter from photos

- use spray mount instead of glue

otomik 03-03-2005 05:27 PM

you don't have to get fancy when you're audience is other professionals, the unwashed masses OTOH want everything up to and including glitter.

Astarte 03-03-2005 05:35 PM

I've been in art school for 3 years (taking a semester off to change venues). A lot of institutions don't like to recieve photographs, unless the program is specifically for that. My school had a general program, and I'm really more of a painter. Hated photo class.

If you know it's the right thing to do, do your absolute best to get into a darkroom rather than take the photos to a developer. Always leave a border of unexposed white around the edge.. never crop them right to the picture. Professional photographers don't like that, and plus they look better that way.

Using a pinhole camera might be a good idea as well. They're really easy to make and they show you're creative. There are a bunch of websites out there that will show you what to do, and even give you tips on making your own darkroom if you need to.

Vicky 03-03-2005 06:17 PM

i'm sorry i didn't specify, i was actually talking about taking pictures of artwork to make into slides .... i'm not going for photo.

so i need to take pictures of drawings and a few ceramic pieces

ETA: thanks for the photo tips though

otomik 03-03-2005 06:27 PM

drawings and ceramic? are you sure you can't do this digital? more places prefer digital now. there's not many reasons to prefer slides other than you can be more certain they view it in a large format (painters mainly).

Vicky 03-03-2005 06:31 PM

the place i wanna go to requires slides

i know, it's silly, but there isn't much i can do. i don't wanna pay someone to do it for me, so i think i'll just ask around school - professors know that kind of stuff.

dalek 03-04-2005 04:54 AM

oh i didnt realise we were being specific! i am a photography student or i was and am now going back to do another course so i was just giving photography tips - its the only thing i know

dalek 03-04-2005 04:55 AM

oops sorry this is lollypop chris accidently forgot to sign out so i accidently posted under his user name- i should have noticed something the colours are different!

Vicky 03-04-2005 07:28 AM

oh no no lollypop, we weren't being specific, but i specified the question that i asked (incase someone wants to answer it )

thx for the photo tips

superlemon 03-04-2005 12:18 PM

I'm in art school now, and when I had my portfolio review it was in person. But my school is small and I lived nearby, so it's probably sort of a rarity. I had to matte everything - photos, drawings, etc. I don't know if that's required for a slide portfolio or not (and certainly not with ceramics, lol), but it does help things to look more polished. I remember getting some tips from art teachers, and good lighting for taking slides was always the most important thing. Bad lighting can make your work look awful, and when slides are all they're going to see that can really hurt you. The few times I've worked with slide film I had it commercially developed, and they always came out very well.

But unfortuately I have no firsthand experience with slide portfolios, sorry. Good luck!

Astarte 03-04-2005 02:17 PM

Assume you will be being judged on the worst piece in your portfolio. Oftentimes, this is the way they'll go about it. Go for quality over quantity, but always meet the minimum number of pieces.

I'm still waiting for people to come out with a way of making slides out of digital files, but most good photo places (Black's is one) will make photos you take into slides for not too steep a fee.

If you get a slide and it has a picture of your piece on it with a bit of the surrounding environment, take some electrical tape and cover up the environment. It'll look better when it's put up on the screen. Make sure you put your name on every one and dot the corner they tell you to so they can orient them correctly in the projector. Simple things I'm sure you know, but they're important. You don't want to irritate the people who'll determine whether you'll get in or not!

And just make sure they're good photos. Take a couple of every one and get a camera with a manual focus on it if you can. Good lighting... no cast shadows. If you can find a place to get them done professionally and you're a bit leery about doing it yourself, I would recommend it. They're often $2 or $3 perslide, so you can save a lot of money if you think you can do them yourself.

Good luck

freejazz 03-05-2005 02:06 PM

i have a lot of experience with this kind of stuff (4th year art major and I work at an art gallery)

but I am super super busy for the next week till spring break, if you still need the help then I can try to answer whatever I can

Vicky 09-21-2005 12:47 AM

well, time for a little update:

i got my whole portfolio together, i already sent in my college application, sending the portfolio tomorrow.

This slide thing is a big pain in the butt - it took me 4 rolls of slides to get it all together, only the film and processing cost me like $70. My boyfriend who's a photo major took the pictures and I set them up. The good thing is that now i know how to take slides of my work .

I'm very nervous, this is the only school i'm applying to and i just hope i didn't mess anything up.