Babysitting my friend's 2 wild ones tomorrow...any craft/entertainment ideas? HELP! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 AM

Hello everyone.

I am in need of inspiration, so I thought this would be the perfect place to visit.

I am babysitting my friend's 2 kiddos tomorrow (2 1/2 yr girl and 4 yr boy). I am bringing videos, but I know that won't be enough to keep them busy.

Does anyone know of simple crafts that I could bring to keep them busy? All I can think of from my childhood is the "kleenex carnation"

Any ideas??

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2005, 11:26 AM

My "ace in the hole" project for when I dealt with hyper kids was to make playdough. You only need salt, flour, water and food color. Throw in some (not so sharp) knives, cookie cutters, toothpicks, etc. and you'll have a blast.

Other faves:

singing/dancing to music

going to the park/beach/playground, etc.

playing "dressup" with old clothes, shoes, jewelry, bags, hats.....

If you're going to their house, won't they have toys?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 02-19-2005, 11:29 AM

I am going to their house, but they seem to want to do something NEW when I am there. this time I thought I would come prepared. I LOVE the dress up idea! I could take pictures of them too!

Good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

My kids liked "Simon Says" when they were little. They didn't always know what they were doing, but it was a good, physical game to burn off some of the excess energy.

At a friend's childs birthday party a few weeks ago, they played a game where they mimicked Spongebob on a Spongebob squarepants cartoon. If he waved, they waved. Silly, but the autistic spectrum crowd loved it, and I suspect little kids would too. If they aren't into sbob, you could use Barney or tletubbies or whatever it is now. Torture for you, perhaps, but they will like it because it means being silly and moving around.
#5 Old 02-19-2005, 11:41 AM

I admit that I am a Spengebob fanatic! Everytime I see my nephews we discuss the interworkings of Bikini Bottom. *g*

I think the "victims" Reilly and Zac like Spongebob too, so that would be fun

Simon says is cute too.

these are all great ideas.

Thanks!
#6 Old 02-19-2005, 11:44 AM

IamJen...I am adding all kinds of facets to your dress up idea. Zac won't be interested in fashion, but I could get him to dress up like a sporty guy, or an outlaw! hee hee. Then I could take their picture and do a number on it in photoshop.

I am loving it!
#7 Old 02-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

When they start bouncing off the walls, crank up the music and dance your hearts away!

I'm a big fan of finger-painting, but you've got to make sure their parents don't mind them getting messy. Turn the heat up and strip them half-naked, set them up in the kitchen table or dining room table (so long as it's not carpeted) and let them have at it. Different shaped sponges can be fun painting tools, as well as Q-tips, and of course, fingers!

Just keep some wet washclothes in a bowl of warm water nearby and have at it!

Also, cooking something can be a lot of fun. You can make pizza bagels and let them choose their own toppings and decorate them themselves. This could solve any lunch/dinner/snack issues because kids LOVE to eat what they made themselves.

Have fun!
#8 Old 02-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Thanks colorful.

I think I will steer away fromt he fingerpaint, because they recently had a "food-coloring" incident. Bottoms were spanked...Furniture was ruined... Mommy cried.

But the pizza bagel is a great idea!

Thanks!
#9 Old 02-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

ouch, still smarting over the description of the "food coloring incident". i think you mentioned dress up, that's a good non-messy one. also cutting pictures out of old mags, course that assumes there are some available,appropriate, etc...good luck.
#10 Old 02-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

regular imagination games are fun.

One I always do is, if the parent(s) will be home before bedtime, suggest that you put on a play. It's not gonna be shakespeare and it probably won't even turn out to be a play, to be honest. but it will keep the kids busy. I've had kids start off with the "play" idea (they wanted to do "snow white") and spend DAYS walking around pretending to be the huntsman and Snow White.

or, if you'll be babysitting while it's dark and if the little ones aren't afraid of the dark, get a flashlight and some black construction paper or a heavy brown paper bag. cut little teeny holes in your paper thingy and rubber-band it to the flashlight. turn the flashlight on in a dark room, and instant starry night! I did this with kids the same age as the ones you're dealing with- we spread out a blanket (that I had brought, so I knew it was clean and okay for the floor) on the kitchen floor, I made a "picnic" dinner, and we had a "starlight picnic" on the kitchen floor.

making cards for peole tends to be a hit. It can be for anyone- mommy, grandma, the cat...

Do you know what they're into? cars? dinosaurs? spiderman? you could print out pictures pertaining to their interests and let them have at it with the crayons. It's always more fun for a boy to color a picture and be able to tell you, "that's a velociraptor" than it is for him to color any old generic coloring book picture of an ugly little girl flying a kite or a hat with flowers on it
#11 Old 02-22-2005, 12:16 PM

The fun was postponed..we got a bunch of snow, so they went sledding instead.

Thank you for the lovely ideas. When I sit for them, I will try to take pics to post.

Many thanks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page