Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 01-25-2015, 04:11 PM

"cruelty free" jewelry

How do you feel about jewelry made from bones when they have been found in nature, it may safe to assume they died from natural causes. Sometimes I see people selling "cruelty free" products as vegan. On the other hand any bone jewelry is profiting off an animal, also encouraging people to wear bone/horn/hair/feather jewelry that could have come from anywhere. Would you wear bone jewelry if it was found in the woods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Goodness, what kind of jewellery is it? And why would anyone want to decorate themselves with a dead beings' bone...other than in tribes...? Anyway, I'm not a costume jewellery person myself and usually only wear silver or gold which I never take off. But I'd be curious to see what others think about it

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#3 Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Vegan as f**k

I wouldn't wear bones no

I would think it disrespectful to the animal that died
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM

heres a weird classic example: In the description they say "All bones have been scavenged with respect and handled with care. FieldRelics supports fair treatment of animals and wildlife and would never harm or exploit an animal for the sake of art." As a designer of funky/alternative/tribal/bohemian jewelry and I've had requests for bone stuff. Friends say "but its found in nature" which seems better than other means..............but is it?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1980630...w_type=gallery

heres another example: their bone jewerly isn't bone, its made out of resin. This just leaves me sctratching my head.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2141717...w_type=gallery

I also worked in a bead store for a few years that had a vast selection of materials that included things like bone and horn (from cattle), and snake vertebrea. It was interesting to see the mixed reactions from customers when they asked what those beads were made of. I heard everything from "oh cool" to "ew thats creepy". Needless to say I didn't enjoy selling these things to people.
#5 Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't wear it for 3 reasons.

1. I'm not a jewelry person.
2. I find it a bit creepy.
3. I feel like I'd be promoting animal cruelty to people who saw I had it.
121938 likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#6 Old 01-27-2015, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing animal bones, shells, and feathers any more than I would feel comfortable wearing human bones or hair for jewelry.

When I visited a little town in Texas called Palacios I discovered that they use millions of oyster shells to fill in sidewalks and streets. That was a bit creepy too.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 PM

yeah, here in baltimore people use oyster shells in their gardens and driveways like gravel. wtf.
#8 Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganeevi View Post
yeah, here in baltimore people use oyster shells in their gardens and driveways like gravel. wtf.
Why can't they just use gravel?

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#9 Old 10-19-2015, 06:03 PM

Hun, weird thing.
#10 Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing animal bones, shells, and feathers any more than I would feel comfortable wearing human bones or hair for jewelry.

When I visited a little town in Texas called Palacios I discovered that they use millions of oyster shells to fill in sidewalks and streets. That was a bit creepy too.
One season on Project Runway a finale designer used human hair in his collection. The judges were all pretty weirded out by it, but I didn't see anything to object to. The people all willingly sold their hair and people wear human hair in wigs all the time. I think human hair should be fine to wear as long as we're not forcibly harvesting it.

I don't see it as the same thing as buying or selling organs for example.

I thought this thread might be about blood diamonds or mined gemstones. To answer the question, no I wouldn't wear bones.

I am a bit of a hypocrite though because I still have an old ivory perfume bottle (old like from the forties) that my grandmother gave me and I have no plans to part with it.

Last edited by Blue Gingham; 10-19-2015 at 06:53 PM.
#11 Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

I know a few artists who scavenge for bones to use in their work. I once found a detached bird's wing and found it quite beautiful but couldn't handle the process of treating and cleaning it. I would suppose that jewellery and artwork made with bones isn't strictly vegan. I think it could reasonably be considered exploitation because, as you mentioned, it encourages the use (and potential misuse) of animals for human pleasure and profit. That said, as long as I was certain that the animals died in the wild of natural causes long before the bones were collected, I personally would have no problem using them in my artwork. I feel the same about human bones.
Spudulika likes this.
#12 Old 10-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

I'm skeptical of the "found in nature" claim. This same company sells a cow tooth necklace: https://www.etsy.com/listing/2431687...?ref=related-1 . Aren't the vast majority of cows the domestic property of livestock companies?

There are some populations of wild cattle, but these are threatened species. http://www.wildcattleconservation.org/ . Is it legal to sell their remains?
Spudulika likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-19-2015 at 07:44 PM.
#13 Old 10-20-2015, 01:56 AM

If it were ethically sourced and pretty I wouldn't mind. animals can die from natural causes as well. My husbands grandma kept cows and chickens plus had a huge organic garden. Well one day she discovered her bull dead in the pasture.He had choked on a horse apple my husband used the skull and other bones in his art work.
#14 Old 10-20-2015, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
One season on Project Runway a finale designer used human hair in his collection. The judges were all pretty weirded out by it, but I didn't see anything to object to. The people all willingly sold their hair and people wear human hair in wigs all the time. I think human hair should be fine to wear as long as we're not forcibly harvesting it.

I don't see it as the same thing as buying or selling organs for example.

I thought this thread might be about blood diamonds or mined gemstones. To answer the question, no I wouldn't wear bones.

I am a bit of a hypocrite though because I still have an old ivory perfume bottle (old like from the forties) that my grandmother gave me and I have no plans to part with it.
It's true that in some cases hair is willingly donated by other humans. People donate their hair to help cancer victims with wigs and so on. I don't have a problem with that. Unfortunately, human hair is not always obtained ethically. There are many stories of exploited women and children forced to give up their hair.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...-trade-secrets

And then of course there is the hair (human or other animal) that is in breads and other goods, called L Cysteine, that's a little disturbing.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 10-20-2015, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's true that in some cases hair is willingly donated by other humans. People donate their hair to help cancer victims with wigs and so on. I don't have a problem with that. Unfortunately, human hair is not always obtained ethically. There are many stories of exploited women and children forced to give up their hair.

And then of course there is the hair (human or other animal) that is in breads and other goods, called L Cysteine, that's a little disturbing.
Oh wow. I had no idea about any of this.
#16 Old 10-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Fascinating and sad. Sad for the women that are exploited and also a sad commentary on our standard of beauty, as the article points out. I had no idea extensions had gotten so common.
#17 Old 10-21-2015, 08:02 AM

According to Wikipedia petroleum is formed when large quantities of dead organisms ... are buried ... and subjected to intense heat and pressure, but we still make plastic out of it, which takes part on our everyday goods.

If you generalize too much maybe even a stone such as Larimar wouldn't be considered morally correct as a form of embellishment.

BUT, I wouldn't buy anything that is not "cruelty free". All living things must be respected, after all they can feel sadness, pain, thirst, etc. (Unlike dead ones)

Last edited by LaceyPar; 10-21-2015 at 08:08 AM.
#18 Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
Fascinating and sad. Sad for the women that are exploited and also a sad commentary on our standard of beauty, as the article points out. I had no idea extensions had gotten so common.
Chris Rock did a very good documentary on this subjest called Good Hair. Recommend.
Spudulika likes this.
#19 Old 12-06-2016, 11:45 AM

Ethically I wouldn't be against it but I think wearing bones sounds a bit gross so I'll pass.
#20 Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM

I wouldn't like to use bones for decoration. There are many other materials.
#21 Old 05-23-2017, 02:24 AM

I wouldn't bear anything made from bones. Hope there will be less this kind of things.
#22 Old 06-19-2017, 06:01 AM

In a vegan world I would have no issue if it died naturally. But in this world wearing these items normalises the use of these things. Most people viewing the jewellery would not assume it died naturally. Just like wearing fake fur normalises fur use. Fake fur is cruelty-free in itself but is a "bad look", so to speak.
#23 Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I do wear shells (in the form of mother of pearl). I guess that's close to bones in essence (exoskeleton). However I buy ALL (literally) of my jewellery second hand from charity / thrift shops. I tend to think this doesn't contribute to any industry that exploits animals, while it does contribute to worthy causes. it's also important to me that my pounds don't contribute to our Capitalist culture. I know it's not vegan, but it doesn't counter my personal ethical beliefs. I really don't know what I think about using wild sourced bones, leather, feathers etc. for commercially intended creations (as opposed to personal art).

Tags
animal products , cruelty free , vegan fashion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page