Jewelry Making - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone else here enjoy making jewelry? I've recently started playing with making earrings using glass beads and was surprised at how enjoyable it could be! I'm not very good at it yet, but I have picked up a few books and am working on it. I'm hoping to try doing bracelets and necklaces later on.

Here's my favorite pair of earrings that I've done so far:

What kind of jewelry do ya'll make?

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

They are really nice I have been designing and making jewellery for over ten years now and run my own business. I make all sorts of things including gay and bisexual pride jewellery, bracelets, earrings, keyrings and also pendulums. If anyone wanted to take a look at my work I have a fan page on facebook http://www.facebook.com/elderberryarts

This is a bag charm/keyring I made last week. The beads are Hematite
LL
#3 Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Your jewelry looks awesome! Are there any books or websites you would recommend for bracelet making?

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really use any set websites anymore, if I'm looking for ideas I normally just google jewellery making or bracelet tutorial or similar. There is http://www.jewelrylessons.com/tutorials/all which is a really good site I do use and write for. You can download the tutorials in PDF files. Some you have to pay for but there are also free ones from very basic to very advanced techniques. I also sometimes buy jewellery making magazines. Bead and button is good but there are many others, bead, Making jewellery, Creative jewellery, Bead Style, Beads and beyond. Creative jewellery and Bead and button are american but not sure about the others. Bead is an english magazine. http://www.wigjig.com/ is also quite a good site with loads and loads of tutorials on. Hope that's some help
#5 Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

There are also sometimes tutorials on utube and there is another similar website full of craft videos but I can't remember the name of it sorry
#6 Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, you guys have cute jewelry!

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#7 Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you
#8 Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished these this morning. The wrapping at the top is pretty sloppy, but I'm still learning that part.

-Animorphs, #18

#9 Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

I just finished these this morning. The wrapping at the top is pretty sloppy, but I'm still learning that part.

wow,I love it so much
#10 Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Just wanted to update the thread with a picture of some that I just finished.

-Animorphs, #18

#11 Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

^Penny79!
Your wrap looks really nice on those!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#12 Old 10-24-2011, 12:28 AM

I make jewellery! I used to (well, I technically still do) have a shop on Etsy. It's quite a therapeutic hobby I haven't had the time to make any new pieces though since coming to university. I live in Manchester and in Affleck's Palace, there's this amazing bead shop. Once I get properly settled into my course, I know where I'll be buying my supplies!
#13 Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM

Do any of you guys sell your jewellery? How do you find your success? I think it will be hard when people can go to the highstreet and get something cheap, but hopefully people on Etsy are looking for something unique.
#14 Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbk101 View Post

Do any of you guys sell your jewellery? How do you find your success? I think it will be hard when people can go to the highstreet and get something cheap, but hopefully people on Etsy are looking for something unique.

I've never really tried selling anything yet, but I have made jewelry as gifts for people.

Speaking of gifts, my cousin's wife made this bookmark for me as a present. I'm a huge bookworm, so I always enjoy getting things like this.

I'm loving the colors!

-Animorphs, #18

#15 Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi there,

I have been making and selling jewelry for a few years now. I love it. It is my stressbuster. I've been away from it for a few months because we recently moved and I haven't set up my new office/studio yet. I'm trying to cram a 2500 SF. house into a 1100 SF. condo and it's not easy. Anyway, I have a store on Etsy: www.laurazoulekdesigns.etsy.com , but I haven't added anything new for quite awhile. I'm really happy to see this thread, though.

Laura
#16 Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The jewelry you have on your Etsy store looks beautiful!

-Animorphs, #18

#17 Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you so much. That's a lot of my old stuff, too. I've gotten way more advanced. I need to get my shop up and running again soon and post some more so i can sell more. Your stuff is really pretty, too. Keep up the good work. It gets easier and you'll get better and more advanced as you go along. PM me anytime if you have any questions or we can just keep this thread going.

Laura
#18 Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaliza View Post

wow,I love it so much

I like these!!
#19 Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Beginner

I really want to get into jewelry making! I'm not very crafty, quite the opposite, actually.... but I want to give it a try! Here is my first ever hemp necklace:

Attachment 17903
#20 Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

That is so cute. I love it!

Laura
#21 Old 03-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Oryzatarian

I keep intending to but I rarely get into quite that rhythm.
I have made a couple, this is what happens when you turn a coconut shell into flat wood and mount it into a heptagonal stainless steel housing made on a lathe and mill:
Attachment 17904

But most the time I'm more likely to make gem studded and faceted nuts and bolts
LL
#22 Old 03-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Banned

I really do want to make my own jewellery and I've got a lot of ideas. Two problems: I'm the least creative person you will ever meet and I've got dyspraxia meaning that doing all the fiddly stuff is pretty much going to be impossible.

Oh well
#23 Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

i love making my own jewelry! I do bead work, wire work and I use thread and string to create friendship type bracelets. I also love taking existing jewelry (either something I have bought or that I already own) and remaking into something new and different. I live a short walk away from a local bead store which is dangerous on a good day I am self taught, but I did take classes in basic beading and wire wrapping - eventually, I want to take some more of the classes at the Bead Store so I can broaden my skill set a bit.

Note: I am completely addicted to ETSY and I need to ban myself from the site for awhile. It is too easy to find cool stuff there
#24 Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

That is so cute. I love it!

Laura

Thanks!
#25 Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM

My daughter and I make jewlery , got her started (and me,lol) when she vwas seven years old as something we could do together. She does nice work, nothing terribly complicated and mainly real gemstone . She has a table at a botique and puts money in her colledge account , have had lots of fun with it . Fire Mountain is a good source foe gemstone and like components , plus EBAY is good for spot deals but most sellers are in China and shipping takes up to a month ..

( your earrings are nice)                                    Ted

#26 Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by changed one View Post

My daughter and I make jewlery , got her started (and me,lol) when she vwas seven years old as something we could do together. She does nice work, nothing terribly complicated and mainly real gemstone . She has a table at a botique and puts money in her colledge account , have had lots of fun with it . Fire Mountain is a good source foe gemstone and like components , plus EBAY is good for spot deals but most sellers are in China and shipping takes up to a month ..

( your earrings are nice)                                    Ted

Very cool!!! 

I make pop tap bracelets cuz I like being eco friendly, and I have sold them for 5 bucks each and people love them!!! We had a sucky vegan bake sale once so I just brought out some of those bracelets and they made up most of our money lol. 

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#27 Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Banned

the big beads are made from paper bags and acrylic paint 

the big beads are made from a Cheerios box

memory wire bracelet 

I have made more but I would have to take more pics.

#28 Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

these are gorgeous!

#29 Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM

I make bead crochet jewelry. Kind of looks boho.

#30 Old 04-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Banned

oh so nice jewlery,i think you doing too good work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page