Jewelry Making - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 PM

i like making jewelry too :) I also have a shop on etsy : https://www.etsy.com/shop/WyndstarCreations i mostly do chainmaille bracelets and earrings. It's been a very fun hobby for me but I hope to start getting a bit more serious with it. i'm going to be having a both at our local canada day celebrations. that will be my first time being a vendor and i'm so excited :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-18-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndstar View Post

i like making jewelry too :) I also have a shop on etsy : https://www.etsy.com/shop/WyndstarCreations i mostly do chainmaille bracelets and earrings. It's been a very fun hobby for me but I hope to start getting a bit more serious with it. i'm going to be having a both at our local canada day celebrations. that will be my first time being a vendor and i'm so excited :)

That's pretty cool wyndstar!I like some of the bracelets and the rose necklace.Good Luck being a vendor!!cool3.gif

#33 Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Perfect timing for this post to pop up on new posts. :)

I'm making my first attempt at jewelry making. Actually, I'm hoping to make my daughter a few trach chains (sort of like half necklaces that hold her trach in place). Currently we use disposable trach ties and I think a chain would be more beneficial.

Here is a link to what I'm aiming for:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/129124111/trach-chain?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=trach+chain&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

I think I have it all figured out and I bought all the supplies....my only question is....how do I trim the wire so it doesn't poke her neck? Do I tuck the excess back inside the strand of beads....or....?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM

wrap the wire around itself a few times, trim, and try to tuck it back into the beads or trim it shorter and use pliers to squish it into itself as much as possible

#35 Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndstar View Post

wrap the wire around itself a few times, trim, and try to tuck it back into the beads or trim it shorter and use pliers to squish it into itself as much as possible

Thank you. I just finished the first one. I had to restart it a couple of times because I got too rough and broke the wire! I decided I should double the wire over since it's supposed to be holding a life-saving device to my child's airway. blush.gif I wrapped it at the end and was pleased to see how non-pokey it was. I squished it with pliers and it feels great! All that worrying for nothing! She normally wears a cloth pad under her trach anyway, right where the connectors would be, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal, but you never know.

So here's a pic of it next to what she normally wears. Isn't it so dainty!

#36 Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

$10 isn't a bad price on Etsy but I figure since my kiddo is still growing it would be more economical to learn to make our own. I'm going to make a few this size and try not to go overboard until it's time to size up. LOL I want to make lots of pretty ones!

#37 Old 05-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

So I got the sizing perfect on the first try! Excellent!

Another quick question...one of the people on Etsy who make them say they use a very slightly stretchy material to string the beads. What is this called and would it wear out over time and become worthless? Or is it pretty resilient? I think a slight stretch may be a good idea, but I don't want to have to replace the chain every few weeks because it stretched too much, ya know?

#38 Old 05-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

So I got the sizing perfect on the first try! Excellent!

Another quick question...one of the people on Etsy who make them say they use a very slightly stretchy material to string the beads. What is this called and would it wear out over time and become worthless? Or is it pretty resilient? I think a slight stretch may be a good idea, but I don't want to have to replace the chain every few weeks because it stretched too much, ya know?

What a great idea! smiley.gif So much prettier than the old straps. grin.gif
#39 Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

What a great idea! smiley.gif So much prettier than the old straps. grin.gif

Thank you! We also have a bunch of really cute shoelaces to use as ties, but they are kind of a pain to get on! First you have to center them, then wrap them around the back, then pull them around the front to tie in a bow. Super cute, but it just takes extra time. I also made some fabric ties out of some cute flannel (dinos, strawberry shortcake, etc) that fit and work pretty much exactly like the disposable ties, but I still just don't really like them.

The main benefit to a chain is that it doesn't hold moisture, causing yeast issues and other irritation. Oh and you don't have to wash them in the washer like the other ties...it gets clean when she takes her bath and then air dries while she's wearing it. grin.gif

ETA: I just realized how silly her face looks. LOL Her nurse tried to paint a butterfly on her cheek and it ended up looking like something with kidneys. LMAO

#40 Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 PM

nice!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page